1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we consider given Michael Sam a shot on our practice squad?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know if we are ready for this type of distraction or even if it would be one. More so of accommodating someone with a different sexual orientation.

But you can't tell me the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC can't make a practice squad. We have problems rushing the passer and maybe give him til week 13 or 14 with some good outside linebacker coaching can't contribute somewhere. Just my two cents.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i was thinking the same 3 days ago when he was released , why not ?

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The other Co-defensive player of the year for the SEC is where?

Just asking because no one is talking about him at all and he's having a solid season after being drafted in the first round.

Personally I'd say no to Sam because he gives you nothing the guys you have/had in camp didn't already give you at DE. You already have Tuitt who's fighting for snaps and Mauro who looked better than Sam in preseason.

4. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011

I would bring him in as an OLB. He's about as big as Woodley I believe. I'm not sure of his measureables but I would give him a shot on the practice squad.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not even at OLB for me. You had So'oto and the other kid balling in preseason and showing pass rush skills and then cut them. Bring one of them back first if you really need someone.

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No thank you if he cant make the rams or the Cowgirls we dont need him either

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No thanks unless we are switching to a 4-3 sometime soon

8. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    He's 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 OLB. He's one dimensional ... strictly a pass rusher ... and not good enough at it to make a living doing it. He also doesn't play special teams for some reason.

9. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Most of the OLBs we draft are former DEs in college. Maybe he can make the transition. He can start playing special teams with us. And even if he's one dimensional, maybe we can harvest that one dimension into something good.

I'm not saying he's spectacular, but just kick the tires on a player that would be just on the practice squad.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How many DE do the Steelers use on special teams?

11. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't mean that he played DE in college, I mean he can't play LB in the pros. He can't play in reverse. If he can't earn a living as a 4-3 DE in the NFL, then he better look for a job in Canada or the Arena League.

12. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Keisel cut his teeth as a special teams demon.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The 4-3 part is what I was gonna say.

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ^^^ This ^^^

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't know Sams size and speed numbers. Is he a 'tweeter'?

History is full of very good/great college players that were a bit too small, or bit too slow, or just not quick enough fot the Pros.

Yeah, he was SEC co-DPOY and he's been cut twice. I'm sure TimTebow was SEC Off Player of the Year a time or three, and he can't get a sniff.

My son went to school with John Malecki. A two way terror on a state championship team, a smart leader of the OL at Pitt, lots of heart, plenty smart, but too small for the NFL.

16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    [​IMG] Originally Posted by bigsteelerfaninky [​IMG] No thank you if he cant make the rams or the Cowgirls we dont need him either

^^^ This, and vvvv That. Just because you're good in college, doesn't mean you're automatically NFL material. The Rams & Cowboys obviously found that out and already did our legwork for us.

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    "If the Cowboys and Rams cut him, why would we want him?" Yeah, because it's always best to copy the Cowboys and Rams.

I'm in a funny spot on this one. I believe this guy has NOT gotten a fair shake. He's getting the Tebow treatment - fear of distraction is not worth the talent. Say what you want about Tebow, but it's ridiculous that he left the league as early as he did. He had more than enough skill to play 10 years as a backup and situational player and special teamer. He's out because of the attention he draws. And that sucks.

I think Sam could make it in the NFL. 4-3 teams absolutely will keep a spot open for a pass rushing defensive end. And yes, we take DEs and turn them into OLBs.... but only if they can drop into coverage. I think Sam's coverage ability would be similar to Woodley's on a good day, and we made an exception with Woodley because he was so amazing in all other aspects of the game in a way Sam isn't.

I hope Sam makes it somewhere, but I just don't see it happening with us.

On the other hand, could we be anymore desperate for an edge rusher? We are thin as hell there. It's a leap I don't think he can make, but he has talent. It's possible. If it's just a PS spot, I wouldn't mind giving to him. It's not like he's washed up and as good as he'll ever be. He's only like a month into his career. He could get much better.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not going to start the Tebow argument as it doesn't belong here. The guy was on the Rams who were stacked, so he got cut and picked up by the Cowboys. As we've seen, even PS positions are valuable and they get thrown through the wash weekly due to injuries and team needs.

I think the Raiders may take a flyer, but the Steelers probably won't since they already have several players that they're working on as projects and don't need another. I'd rather see what those guys can do.

They cut So'oto and Jones after they showed some pass rushing skills late in preseason. I'd take either of them back over Sam, especially since they would be Special teamers as well.

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sam showed well in the preseason too, and possibly (I don't know this) even better than Jones/So'oto if you factor in the competition and the time of game their success came in. Frankly, I think Jones and Sam are sort of in the same boat, except Sam has more on his resume coming out of college. So'oto looked good too, but he has a few more years on him, thus his potential could be less.

The Raiders could be a good fit. Woodley might be done for the year. It's definitely a better fit than we are.

20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Sam could have a good career if given the chance. Yeah, he's slow. But he has a high motor, and sometimes that's better.

That said, he's not a fit for a 3-4 OLB. If he was, I'd take him without blinking.

21. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Sam needs to work on his body and his technique, and then give it a try again next season. And he better figure out some way of contributing on special teams, because that's how borderline players make NFL rosters.

22. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    The NFL needs to stop the political correctness. *Moderator edit.*

You're entitled to your opinion, but that kind of language isn't allowed.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe Sam led the preseason in sacks and maybe tackles too? Or was it vice versa? He led in tackles but not sacks? Seems like I was thinking I heard he led the preseason in sacks.

24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not sacks...there were a lot of guys tied for 12th with 2 and Josh Mauro was one of them. Sam was not one of them.

Not in tackles either. Shazier was top five though and Shamarko Thomas was up there as well.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't think you deal with the media circus for a practice squad type of player. Although there shouldn't be a media circus to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.