1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR routes?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 22, 2014.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I got to see a big problem with the offense during the Texans game and it is the wide receivers routes. We seem to only have the RB Bell get open and AB who makes plays with guys draped on him but nobody else seems to get open much. When we couldn't run the ball, the pass worked and guys got open consistently and 3rd and longs were converted more often than not but something changed. This is where I think Haley's offense is a problem, I think he is more predictable than BA ever was and the reason I say that is when you see guys catching a pass, there is a defender right on them, Ben has to hold the ball because there isn't anyone open. I went back and started watching the Browns game and the Jags game and it is apparent that the DBs know the routes being run, the same thing with the Texans, the only place for Ben to go is dump off to Bell. I know from watching other games that these defenses aren't the best, the Jags were getting gashed but they knew how to stick tight and the same for every other team, I believe the scheme on the offensive side is very predictable and plain to the point we can't get anyone open, is it the WRs or do opposing teams know the routes as good as our own guys?

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is the WR'S ...Are best route runners are Brown and Bell followed by DHB and Bryant ...J.B. and Wheaton are the same they both round off routes never explode out of cuts ,neither of them fight back towards the QB or hand fight well with the DB'S..

The fix is in the other thread ,DHB and Bryant need to get more snaps and you will see more guys getting open...

3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I was at the Jax game and in live action you can see better than TV. Everybody in our group said the same thing, there is little separation with the receivers other the AB. Occasionally Heath also but that is because they weren't paying attention to him and he slips out to the open.

I'm starting to think also the routes may be predictable and also believe the reason that Ben holds onto the ball so long.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I tend to agree. DHB made a huge play, and I do wonder why they don't use him more. Our no.2 receiver spot is pretty even at the moment, so more rotation shouldn't hurt at all.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a product of our offence too. We don't rely on strict timing routes. If we did, Ben would be throwing the ball just before the WR broke off. That makes it very hard for DB's to cover. We don't do a lot of that though. Our offence is much more unscripted, whereas Ben looks off defenders or pump fakes to try to get guys open. Of course we rely on timing as well, every offence does, but we're much more erratic than a lot of other teams in the league.

And of course what others said is true, we have a handful of guys who are still learning to play the position at the pro level.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Martavius ( intentional lol) ran a perfect route and timing was critical .. Most rookies dont run really good routes but #10 nailed it on that TD reception.

7. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Additionally, Ben was very accurate with that throw and hit #10 in stride. I hope Ben finds that accuracy more often with both the deep ball and other receivers. It would make the offense much more potent.

8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I say start DHB and Lance Moore with AB. The others are too raw still.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    DHB has proven over his career to be an unreliable (at best) 2nd or 3rd option. In the role we use him in now, he seems to excel. Gets a few snaps on offense and plays special teams. While I don't think he is a great every down option, he definitely should be someone we think about re-signing in the offseason to stay in his current role... Lance Moore however has proven to be an excellent slot receiver over his career and I totally agree that he should see a lot more snaps.

If it was my call, I'd line AB and Wheaton out wide with Lance Moore in the slot. Bryant should receive PT in the RZ and in other situations (4 wide, fly patterns, etc.), which leaves very little for DHB (barring injury). JB inactive.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I've listened to a few radio guys and they say he wasn't exactly good with the fake, but he has enough talent to get down the field to make the play. Also, Ben was a little late on the throw.

Other than that, you can tell that this offense is less about the 3 step throw than any other offense we watch. Ben doesn't like it and never will. He likes to pump fake and hope he catches someone biting on it. That's why there's more pressure on him.

That first Haley season before Ben went down to injury he was popping those quick routes.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think what most impresses myself and others about Bryant was his speed and his ability to draw to the outside and bring it back in more center for Bens throw..

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

So why not more of that?!

Where are the slants, or screens that were pretty successful then?(or not even designed screens, just the dump-offs to the short routes)...

Hate to beyatch, when we won a game, but, you brought up a good point...

Ben WAS hitting those 3 step drops, and letting the recievers/ runningbacks run with the ball...

Where has that been this year???

GO STEELERS!

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing but speculation, but it's been stated many times that Ben has more influence on the offence than ever before. Perhaps that's where it's gone. Ben is a gunslinger. He doesn't want to mimic Tom Brady. Ben wants to be dancing around back there, shedding linebackers, only to sling it down field 40 yards. He loves to sit there and pump fake, even though it gets him sacked at least as much as it helps him make the completion. I doubt Haley suddenly had a change of heart. My guess is that with Bens involvement, our offence has changed from what we originally saw with Haley

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben, doesn't like those. He wants to pump fake and then look.

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Shame, because it was working...

Although you can`t really argue that we aren`t moving the ball this season, either...

It`s just a matter of moving it once we get inside the opponents` 20...

(minus a minute and a half, last Monday...)...

As long as we win, I don`t really care....

But it seemed like we were on to something that would work consistentley, and even moreso, with Bell doing what he`s been doing this year...

But we seem to have abandoned that... And abandoned getting Heath the ball, when we need first downs...

I know he`s dropped a couple, but, that shouldn`t be enough to shake Ben`s confidence in him...

It seems like we keep him in to block, more than we need to, to me...

Haley sed he wanted to use him...

He did...
    Heath set his all time recieving record earlier this year, with like 8 or 10 catches in a game, and then...
    Then he stopped, now that Heath is healthy again...

I don`t get it.?:shrug:

GO STEELERS!

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it is funny when, Ryan Clark (last yr) calls
    MW one of the best receivers on our team.
    I think he knows a little about covering WR's.
    MW has had a few bad games, he will be back.
    I like our receiving corp, I think they will all do fine. RED zone people, got to score TOUCHDOWNS!

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like the rotation of DHB, bryant, AB, moore as the top 4. DHB and Bryant can run block too. I think it gives us a better chance.:cool:

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I see your point. I'd still like to see him in the game a few more plays than currently. Swap him in for Moore more, I say.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe what has happened is father time is making an impact on Heaths play. He has lost a step imho which has caused him to be less open now. Ben is being more careful and protective of the ball this year so Heath is not getting open or Ben cannot see him open or won't take the chance of throwing an INT. Ben has thrown less interceptions(3) this year as compared to last in the first 7 games. Heath was always Mr Reliable. Something has changed. Maybe it's more than age and the injury ? dunnno

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well DHB did have a lot of drop problems ,but how much of that has he showed with us ? None ...He caught the ball well in the pre season ,he caught the ball well in camp and now in his few reps in games he has caught the ball....

IMO he has turned the corner and can be depended on now , I see no reason not to let him play more because he was always fast , he could always block , he could always run good routes , so if he can catch he is a great option at WR. AS stated I see nothing that shows me he has not turned the corner..

Can you show any play or plays that show he still can't catch ? I think because of the Team trying to save face with the Wheaton pick it has kept DHB and Bryant down on the depth chart...

Another thing to consider is DHB only started playing Football his Junior or Senior year of High School so he may have just now gotten enough experience to make a huge jump in his skill set....

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh no! You've opened yourself up to the onside kick debate!

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope ..lol. If Ben starts throwing it off his foot and bouncing it off the ground then they can argue that ...

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The slants and crosses have vanished from our arsenal,along with many other plays that used to work. I would like to see the fake bubble screen with the blocking WR releasing every game and early. That would at least put the DBs on their heels and open up the screens more. They should be more effective than what we see ,but there's no deception.

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    2 targets, 2 catches, 17 yards.... I just can't get all jazzed up about a guys turning the corner after he successfully caught two balls thrown his way. Maybe the reason why he hasn't shown his stone hands is because we have only thrown him 2 passes? If we threw to him 6 or 7 times a game, I think you would have a totally different opinion on him as a second receiving option. In the middle of an NFL season (trailing the division lead by a game) isn't the time to experiment with DHB either. If the staff felt like he was dependable, he'd get the rock more than twice in a seven game span.

Wheaton won the battle for the 2nd WR spot in camp handily, and up until the past two games, has actually fared alright for a first year starter. DHB dropped a bunch of passes in camp, and really only made the team based on his ability to play ST and a good showing in the final pre season game. While I like DHB as a WR5 and ST gunner, I would not want to be seeing a whole lot more of 85 on offense than we have in the first seven unless someone gets hurt.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd send DHB and Bryant deep a couple times a game, see what it turns up, hard enough for a secondary contending with one guy that fast let alone two.