1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Luck and the Colts with no pressure.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Gotta say, if this team can't get to him it will be a long day. Luck will dissect us all day, so I for one hope DL has something new for him. I'm not sure at this point if there is a "magic" player set he could find this week. If they blitz him, they have to get to him quickly, and I just don't know where that would come from? Last night I did see some snaps where JW bull rushed his man well into the backfield, but that won't be good enough come Sunday. Anybody see anything else? Any ideas?

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ive been waiting for DL to come up something against, Hoyer, Glennon, Bortles and Fitzpatrick. And what did we get? Nothing. And now we actually have a very good quarterback coming into town. I'm worried.

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    one exception

4. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    I will take the win last night but we must remember that he drove them down the field for the first three drives for points. And we all know, if it wasn't for that explosion, Fitzpatrick would have torched us. And also, they only lost by 7.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

The defense seemed to have him making errant throws. He was not that relaxed in the pocket. JW had a good game and even though there were not alot of sacks they have Fitz uneasy. They caught him twice running as well.

6. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem is not DL, its that the front 7 is not good. I keep reading about the complaints about the secondary, but I think the bigger issue is that the D line and the LB corps are not that good. Other than Timmons, there is not one other above average player on the D line or at linebacker. Not one. Its not a mystery why they don't get enough pressure on the QB - they aren't good enough to beat the man lined up against them.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Its not even the front seven... to me its the OLB's. Jarvis can't come back soon enough. Also need Shazier back ASAP!

8. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yea, they are getting no pressure from the OLB's. There is some potential at LB, but Worilds is underperforming and Jarvis and Shazier aren't even playing.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Luck dissects defences that pressure him, so I don't see a chance in hell of us shutting him down, or even limiting him for that fact. Our only hope is to outscore them and we all know that doesn't come easy with this team either.

10. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Jarvis Jones wasn't that great at rushing the passer before he got hurt. I can't imagine him doing any better after a couple of games off.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Number one problem is that he doesn't get rattled, he throws three picks he is mentally tough enough to shake it off and through for 300+ yards and two scores. He does however like to go down field more even Ben does so the key will be get him to throw where they want him to instead of picking the soft spots in the zone. Let him hit some underneath stuff where Mitchel can separate the receiver from the ball or they can get a tip, Timmons should tee off on Bradshaw the whole game though.

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought he was a bad pick at the time and think he'll end up being a bust

13. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think he will be a bust, but he won't be in the line of the great outside linebackers we've had here before.

During the Monday night game, they showed the legacy of linebackers we've had here before. I don't see him or any in this group coming close to those guys. And we don't have to go back to the 70's, i'm talking about Woodley, Harrison, Foote and Farrior. (All in their prime and not injury riddled.)

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    When you get taken in the middle of the 1st round, either you turn into a great player, or you're a bust. Being average isn't good enough when you're drafted that high

15. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Look - to call a guy a bust who hasn't even started a full season of games is a bit pre-mature. By your quick definition, Troy Polamalu was a bust as well because it took him a couple of seasons to become a Pro Bowl level safety. There are a lot of things in Jarvis Jones that make me wonder whether he will cut it, but he was making improvements compared to last year before the injury occurred.

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Go back and read my post. I said I didn't like the pick at the time and think he will be a bust. Big difference between what I said and what you're claiming I said

17. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Okay - I see your point.

18. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    When was Timmons drafted? I don't consider him great but he's not a bust
    When was DeCastro drafted? I don't consider him great but he's not a bust
    When was Rothsiberger drafted? I don't consider him great but he's not a bust.

19. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Personally - I think the Steelers may have problems getting sacks the way they used to out of the OL position because of the way the league has changed. It used to be only a few guys like Tom Brady would pick apart the Steelers. Even Peyton 10 years ago did not use the short routes the way he does now and it used to be 3-4 defenses that gave him fits. But now everybody uses these quick passes where speed rush from the sides often takes to long to develop. In defense of Jason Worilds (who has not been all that great this year) - part of his problem is he is being placed 5-7 yards behind the line in a lot of packages to help with passing routes...so he isn't given as much chance to rush the passer.

The Steelers use to get a lot sacks by bringing that pressure from the edge and blindsiding the QB, but sacks and pressure is happening more now by quickly disrupting and collapsing the pocket. If they can put some of the same type of pressure that they put on Fitz last night (where the pocket was collapsing) against Luck and turn it up a notch they may do okay. I do not expect the Steelers D to be dominant, but if it can contribute like it did last night with some big splash plays and turnovers it will be doing enough to play its part.

20. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Our pass rush combined with our secondary = start TY Hilton on your fantasy teams this week.

21. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I think you know the answers to these, but Timmons was drafted either 15th, 16th, or 17th. He has been good and probably has been robbed of a Pro Bowl or two.

DeCastro was drafted I think 22nd - he may yet turn out great.

Ben was drafted 10th, I would say Ben has been great - he is either a HOFer who will likely get in his 3rd to 5th year of eligibility or he is a borderline HOFer which still implies he is a great player.

22. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    I sincerely believe we'll be fine on Sunday pressuring Luck.

Also, a sloppy field could help us.

23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No kidding. Pretty much any LB the Steelers have can be as effective as Jones.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think he will be our best pass rusher, but as a #2 he might be alright.

I think they let Worlids walk, move Jarvis over to the left and and we draft the next guy to play on the right.

25. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    the key would be luck having an off day like he did versus eagles though he still managed three tds. Luck holds the ball for a while sometimes to similiar to big ben. Also reggie wanye prob won't play so that means luck has to get nicks and moncrief involved.