1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Browns TD pass

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Oct 21, 2014.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Not sure if this has been covered in another thread and sorry if its been brought up already, but reading the gameday thread I know that a lot of you guys didn't like the call. Ben Roethlisberger was on 93.7 the Fan this morning and said that was Mike Tomlins call. That it was a 2 point conversion play and that neither he nor Haley wanted it, but Tomlin made the call.

Interesting.

I cannot find the audio of the interview yet. Ill keep monitoring their website and link it up if it becomes available.

2. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Even though it worked, it was a terrible call. But even worse, was not going for it when they had the Texans on their heels on a 4th and inches at the Texans 40. We had all the momentum but Tomlin decided the offense wasn't good enough to get those inches. Way to take the air out of the balloon Coach T.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I was disappointed with that. I thought it should have been a QB sneak.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wasn't here for the gameday thread, but I know there were plenty of people calling for some gadget plays in the week. Getting the fire back requires taking some risks.

5. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Sure, but not when it's 1st down and 3 goal to go.

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't care who's call it was, the offense needed a spark. Too many weeks and drives without red zone production. Yeah, if we were rolling, keep it for a rainy day.... but I thought it was good timing. Run a running play and we could have very well lost the game.... by eliminating the Beard INT if houston just decides to take a knee instead of trying to move the ball at the end of the half.

7. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Isn't the point of a gadget play to run it when the defense isn't expecting it? I've spent the whole season complaining about them not being imaginative in the red zone. I have no problem with it.

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I had no issue with it. I was happy to finally see some imagination with the play calling. I was more irritated we didn't go for it on 4th and 1.

9. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    So far I've seen them struggle in the Red Zone because all they have been doing is running plays that Haley thinks the defense isn't expecting, i.e. spread offense pass play on a 3rd and one at the goal line when our RB's were getting 5 yards a clip (Jags Game). AS far as I can tell, that's been their offensive philosophy all season: Run the numbers and run the play that has best % of plays the defense won't expect. It's a terrible strategy and only works if you like playing madden. What I'd like to see is an OC that says "We're going to play to our strengths and expose the defenses' weaknesses."

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If that play had not worked, the "Fire Tomlin" and "Fire Haley" posts would have been in 4 digits. Heck some posters would have wanted to fir DL for it.

Just because a bone head play works, doesn't make it a good call. If you bet a $100 that you won't get killed playing Russian Roulette doesn't make it a good bet.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Aside from that, not going for it on that 4th down was a slap in the face of the offense. No wonder this team isn't willing to jump into a barrel of burning oil for their coach.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. If a play works, how is it a terrible call? It's only terrible when they down work. Don't want to hear coulda woulda shoulda. It was a great call and I don't even like Haley.

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    We may have to agree to disagree here. For me, the RZ offense has been playing percentages all year and coming up short. Even when they've been pounding the ball between the 20s, the run game has stuttered near the goal line. So I don't see it. I haven't seen Haley do much that was surprising up until then (and not surprising, then, that it wasn't his call, I suppose).

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I've said a few times before that it irritates me when they try and make the defense jump offsides, because they just seem very bad at doing it. I was fully expecting them to pull a surprise last second snap in that situation. I don't know if it was always the call to not run the play, or if Ben was given the option of letting the clock run down, though. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an option built into the call.

I'm not sure where the last bit of your post comes from? I thought the problem was that Tomlin was too much of a player's coach?

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    B*tching all season that something needs to change because it's the same effort and poor results.

Coach T tries something different than Ben/Haley want (which hasn't been working), and his gut was right and they scored in the red zone.... AND it gave the offense and the whole team the shot in the arm it needed.

And they won the game.

Still... b*tching. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh thats right, he didnt even call it, FTHI :lolol:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Here you go, Bobby.

[MP3]https://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ben-roethlisberger-w-cook-and-poni.mp3[/MP3]

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't understand how you can be critical about the Brown TD throw and then expect him to go for a 4th and 1 from the 40?

We as a fan base are never happy.....

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bingo! It's just dumping on Tomlin at all costs.

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I mentioned the 2000 loss to the Browns on another thread. The Steelers had Bettis try to throw to Hines and it was picked off. Either Cowher or Gilbride called the play. I was thinking,"What a stupid call!" but if it had worked I would have loved it. That team mirrored this year's team in its mediocrity so I'm guessing the thought process was the same. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When the play happened I felt really weird because I was glad we scored but also kinda mad that we made such a risky call there. I was like "dude as a Steelers fan I can't even be happy when I SHOULD be!" LOL!

22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  23. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Nothing wrong with that call at all. 5 things can happen, and 4 of them are positive.

1- TD pass (as was what happened)
    2- TD run (Nobody open, so Brown tucks and runs)
    3- Incomplete pass (nobody open, so Brown just chucks it out of the endzone. Loss of down, but now the defense wonders what's next)
    4- Short gain or minimal loss (But gets in the defense's head)
    5- Interception (If Brown got reckless and/or greedy)

I don't see it as a risky call at all.

24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You know after they discussed the nuances of the play after the game, I really had a better appreciation for it. Normally when teams call that the option is only to one guy then run or throw away.

The fact that Brown actually had 2 reads and Wheaton was the first and he had to come back to Moore is pretty impressive and shows they had confidence that he could throw a good ball, which he did!

I'm very impressed with the play designs of some of these plays they don't run, vice the ones they run all the time.

25. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    :this!:

That play was dumb on multiple levels. Not only are you allowing a guy with high school QB experience make decisions about throwing the ball vs a compressed defense on the goal line ... not only are you leaving that high school QB without our best WR as a receiving option ... but you also risk wasting a forced turnover inside the redzone and killing our momentum right after we've climbed back into the game and are 3 yards away from taking the lead after climbing out of a 13-0 hole.

Hey Ben was a WR in high school, right? There's our new redzone target!