1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brown Tweets criticism of refs and then deletes it.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerJJ, Oct 21, 2014.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    That's why you can't overrule the call on the field. Yeah, it looked like maybe his foot was hitting the line, but nothing conclusive that you reverse the call.

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    The problem with that call was first and foremost the refs were wrong. Secondly there has to be conclusive evidence to overturn the ruling on the field..

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    The refs never stick to the "conclusive evidence" standard ... and fans often don't want them to.

5. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I've seen this to be the case many times this season (and probably others). It's pretty regularly you hear the commentators disagree with the zebras on what appears to be conclusive, regardless of who wins on the final call.

6. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. I can't believe they saw anything definitive enough to say he was on the line and reverse the call. I feel like since they gave him the benefit of the call earlier when Brown caught the ball going out of bounds on the sideline that they weren't going to give him the benefit this time. Shame because it was one hell of a catch.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the replay clearly showed him stepping out of bounds. I can't access the link in the OP though. I have no problem with the call. The reality is Brown needs to be better at dragging his toe

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think his foot hit in bounds and dragged to the line (hence the divot - like in golf, the divot is after tha ball). I really wish they would emply the replay system that they have in college. On this case, the play as called on the field would have been upheld, not necessarily confirmed, but it would have stood. I too have seen numerous occasions where the refs seem to deviate from conclusive evidence.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    at gets me is the ref that called the TD was staring right at the feet, so he clearly saw the foot hit inbounds. Why dont they have slow motion cameras down there? You cant tell me they dont make enough money to put faster cameras down there so the picture is clearer.

10. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Can't get much better than that. Clearly looked in to me. The divot was right in front of the white line with turf tossed up on the line right in front of the actual divot.

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    In all of the replays they showed on TV, it looked like he was on the line, but the second pic in that link shows otherwise.

Still, I wish Antonio would show that he's the bigger man and show a little class by simply ignoring it, especially since it didn't matter in regards to the final outcome anyway.

12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How about the refs go look at the divot in the field.

13. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
  14. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    If The NFL really wanted to get replay right they would use the technology in the game of Cricket. Yes I said Cricket, it was a boring day and somehow the channel just got stuck there. In their replay they use heat technology to see if the ball did hit the bat. It is really simple if the colors change then there was some contact. This could be used easily for football.

15. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What about the technology they have in Tennis to challenge line calls?

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Looks like he was in after all as per that picture. Not sure if the replays they have would show it that clearly though. Either way, why does Brown need to say that when it made no difference to the outcome of the game? The refs aren't perfect, never have been, never will be. It's part of humans being involved, it will never be perfect. Act like an adult and accept that mistakes happen. Lord knows Brown has made plenty of mistakes in his career

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont blame brown for being pissed at all, This crap gets old!!.... like someone said A.B is only human , and being upset is a natural response ... Anyone of us here would be upset here if it happend to us and probly wld have done the samething

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    No I wouldn't do the same thing and neither do most other athletes when a call goes against them, which happens all the time.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Add that ridiculously obvious "fumble" that they needed Nasa scientists and slide rulers to figure out and you have to wonder where the refs integrity lies.

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have been upset, but I absolutely would not have done the same thing.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Didn't end up affecting the outcome of the game... let it go AB.

22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

N o they just whine and cry behind the scenes, and i dont give a crap what other players do , who wants to be the go along to get along guy?? if anything if i was Brown i wld have left it up...

23. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    It was really close given what they were showing on TV. I can only assume the officals didn't have any access to additional video when they made the call. Most of the angles I saw I thought that he was out. Shortly before they rulled though, they showed an angle where his foot was coming down and the spikes looked like they were brushing the turf before he could fully get the foot planted. So I thought it was conceivable it was a catch.

Looking at the pictures we have now, it's pretty obviously a catch.

The officials aren't infallible. And ultimately the Steelers won the game. But I can see how Brown is frustrated. He'll probably pay for it though.

24. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    It could have been worse. He could have had the TD taken away AND been flagged for excessive celebration.

25. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It all comes down to the call on the field should have been kept unless there was definite/ inconclusive proof he was out and there was not. That is what bothers me. Don't reverse it if there is no proof!

I recognize it didn't affect the game in the end, but it could have.