1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY WHY WHY is Cortez Allen playing?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelgirl84, Oct 20, 2014.

1. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I've almost lost my voice.... I thought that Brice McCain was playing for him? He was for a while. Then they put Cortez in the 2nd half. I just do not get it. He can't cover anyone- let alone Andre Johnson. They just exploit his ridiculousness.
    I hope on offense we continue to use everyone. Bryant, DHB, & Moore. They're all small weapons in their own way- especially Bryant & Moore.
    Thank GOD for Michael Palmer!!
    Our Defense come up big a few times though- Mike Mitchell is starting to fit in nicely. I just hope they realize that Cortez shouldn't be playing & next week he's sitting & watching.

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I was confused too. They said that Allen was going to sit?!?

3. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The dude is a pass interference call waiting to happen. I wonder if he's learning this technique from Ike who has been doing the exact same thing for the last three years.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    :facepalm:

He just got demoted from official starter (#1 or #2 CB) to the #3 CB and McCain got the bump up. He was never going to be inactive or not play.

5. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think the opposing QB and OC know he's in there before we as fans do.
    Sadly, we realize it too only moments later.

6. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Let's instead talk about how William Gay and Brice McCain are our starting CBs. That has to be, at least on paper, the worst starting CB duo in the league right? Not that they play that bad, as I think Will Gay is underrated, but on paper that pair is not good. They would both be rated like high 60s in Madden.

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We didn't hear McCain mentioned much tonight. Isn't that a good gauge for a corner? He was in the slot quite a bit tonight but until Tez got on Johnson you didn't hear Johnson's name called. Then you heard it a LOT. I would almost guess that the FO has some buyer's remorse on his contract.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Every year I have a player I'd like to call my "Limas Sweed Syndrome" or LSS player. It is a player that I loved coming out of college and hung with until the very last snap ever played by said player. I must admit that Allen was my LSS player this year. Maybe I need to start picking a LSS player on another team and stop jinxing ours!

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011

Maybe they can find something in the contract that was worded wrong so they could get out of it. Kind of like when you get a ticket and there's the wrong info on it. Maybe they could convince someone that there are too many zeros in that contract? :lolol:

10. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Here's to finding a loophole......:drinks:

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He must have slipped Colbert some drugs to get him to sign that thing...Or held him at gunpoint. Contract under direst....

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And the front office said he had more upside then Keenan Lewis :facepalm:

He hits the field and BOOM, they targeted him right away. And he didn't disappoint how bad he is.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would cut him at the end of the season we save 1,5 milion and we can sign mc cain with medium sb and use that 1,5 for his base salary cap

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Exactly my thoughts. Gay and McCain strike fear into nobody.

15. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He is soooooo bad. Fitzpatrick made absolutely no attempt to look any other way but directly at cortez's side the entire time he dropped back almost saying, hey cortez, I am 100% throwing right at you. Made no difference.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    where is webb? I thought gay and McCain did pretty well.:cool:

17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cortez Allen was out there from the get go. I was stunned to see him. And, you guys are right...he was being targeted left and right - and getting burnt. I thought McCain did pretty well. He was on Andre Johnson wasn't he?

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They did, I don't know what the hell people are talking about. Allen is a different story.

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    As a madden fan myself McCain is definitely a high 60's player. Gay was rated an 81 or 82 tho. EA sports has some love for Willie haha

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think this "upside" they spoke about was due to his propensity for getting turnovers. He did that quite a bit the past few seasons, and even has a few this season for as bad as he's been. I've see New Orleans play tho, and we aren't missing much from Keenan Lewis. He isn't real good either (NO's D is awful).

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I really hope Cortez Allen turns it around because we don't have anyone else. But I think he needs to see the bench and not even come in in the Nickel.

Can't wait and see what we target in the draft.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Cortez is stinking up the joint, but he has coachable potential. He stinks in the scheme lately, but if he'd turn his damn head around he'd get flagged less. He has hands and that's what I like. If Lebeaus hell bent on putting these guys 10 yds off the ball, were gonna keep getting carved up. Either way, Allen can turn out to be "good" not great... But he and the rest of the DB's need to be put into a position to play ball. The mechanics of their play is coachable and up to them to put it to use.

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only time we heard him mentioned was when Torico said that Andre Johnson had put a double move on him and McCain had him blanketed.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    McCain held his own... Cortez was molested. He needs to get his head in the game and square away some mechanics. He has potential, but if he ain't gonna find it/use it, no one else will for him.

25. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Truly, I see him getting the boot after the season. He will walk with some cash and somebody may take a shot at him, but he's just not performing. Funny, the team said they didn't have money to spend, and he gets paid? That money surely could've gone elsewhere.