1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We lost a lot when we let Cotchery go.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Most notably 10 TD's, but more
    important, a confidant for #7 to go to.
    Cotch was always there for #7 and usually came
    up with the catch. Oh well, that's how it goes.
    Maybe Lance Moore will make up for it the last half of the season?

2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    20 -29 receiving and 13 first downs could use some of those 1st downs here

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We did lose a lot, but the reality is, it may take some time for these young receivers to get on the same page with Ben. Let's look:

A. Brown - one of the best in the game

Wheaton - Very few reps last year, in basically his rookie year.

J. Brown - On PS last year, basically in his rookie year.

M. Bryant - In his rookie year

L. Moore - Vet, but in his first year with Ben

DHB - Vet, but his his first year with Ben

We should all expect some growing pains with this offense. I honestly thought we would struggle somewhat early, but it has been worse than I thought it would be. I think the Offense will get better as the year goes on. The defense has been pretty well decimated with injuries and you can tell by their performance. They had holes prior to the injuries and these holes have just been made worse by the injuries. Youth and lack of experience in our system are really hurting us. We in theory should get better as the year goes along, but you never know.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nice post!

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He had 10 Touchdowns last year. That's hard for any #3 to do. Miss him, but we couldn't afford to pay him what Carolina did.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That was the most TD's in his career. The next closest I think was 6 when he was with the Jets. Chances are, he wouldn't have duplicated it, he's 32, WR's don't generally improve after that.

7. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well said. It shouldn't take this long to "gel", and the couple of really horrid games were due to more than growing pains, I think. It's not like these guys have never played the game before this year. Every team has new personnel each year, but few look as bad as we have at times.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    chemistry doesn't come overnight...... it took cotch some time to get that rapport with ben, and it will take some time for the others not named ab to do the same... our wr unit is not the issue here

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But who replaces the Td's? Wheaton will be just fine, Its the other WR's I am concerned with.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we need to look at our Receiver coach. This guy was retired and out of the league before Tomlin brought him back.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :facepalm::rant:Tomlin!!!!!!! lol

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree with this, but very few teams replace this many skill players in one year. 5 of the 6 receivers. 2 of the 4 RBs. 70% of the skill position players are new this year. THAT is a lot.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    And Carolina seems to have gained zilch as far as the W-L column goes. Cot haws trusty when used, and never used right or enough in my mind. He had a grand year last year (for his personal resume) that still left us at 500. So maybe it's not that big of a loss? I don't think him being here would've righted this ship much at all. He's only one guy and there are a lot of guys from top to bottom who should be pointing a thumb at themselves right now... Situationally speaking, Cotchery would be one of em too.

14. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I don`t miss the Td`s, as much as I miss a reliable 3d down reciever.

Ben has Heath and Brown to look to, but honestley, Heath`s been dropping balls he ALWAYS used to catch, and who else does Ben have the confidence in, that he had with Cotch?

Wheaton was looking good to begin the season, but not in the last game...

Justin Brown has made a couple, and dropped a couple...

We may be giving Martavis Bryant a chance, starting tomorrow night, but we just haven`t replaced the security blanket that Cotch gave Ben...

Yes we still have Heath, but after the D covers A.B., Heath is ALL that Ben really trusts, IMO.

And he has let us down by dropping at least 3 passes this year, already...

That`s ALMOST a sarcastic comment...

He has set such a standard for himself, that ANY time he drops a pass, it`s kinda surprising.

That`s why Ben has such trust in him, but he needs to get back to being perfect.

Is that too much to ask?:hmmm:

We really don`t have a "reliable" 3d option right now, altough Wheaton looks like he could become that...

THAT`S what I miss from Cotch.

But, I do agree, we shouldn`t have matched the contract to keep him.

GO STILLERS!:herewego:

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think we lost a lot more with Al Woods, or Ziggy Hood, considering their replacement (Cam Thomas). Cotch was a decent 4th option that Ben trusted, which counts for a lot. A WR could be open all day, but if the QB doesn't trust him, then he won't get the looks. Short term we're suffering a little from his loss, as Ben is lacking chemistry with anyone other than Brown, but things will change once guys figure out where the best positioning is on the field and once Ben learns to trust them. I'm surprised that Heath has low production as I thought he'd pick up some of those missing TD's that Cotch left behind.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They were breaking down film on NFL Network, Heath is always open, he should be fed A LOT more. Ben has to find him.

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He has dropped a few this year too. More than usual for sure. It's really disappointing because Haley promised so many big things for him this year. Also I saw a breakdown of a play in the clowns game where they showed Heath running the wrong route that caused an easy td to be missed. Just as a whole we are pretty dang crappy this year. You know things are bad when Heath isn't doing all that well.

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    You got that right. He's stable enough to pull out of whatever slump he's in. Good thing is there's still time for him, and the rest of them, to do it, and we're sitting right in the middle of things.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Cleveland and Cincy losing today was definitely good for us but it is looking like the stupid rats are gonna take the division. They have been playing lights out defense here lately. Also flacco has been playing well but the falcons are ATROCIOUS on defense. So I'm hoping it's all just smoke and mirrors from them.

20. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This needs to be discussed. This is a big part of the issue in the red zone.

21. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    A legit #3? I think these receivers should know how to catch a ball. A lot of times they're in position and just drop the dang ball.

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    We are moving the ball extremely well so there is no concern of first downs. We should be working on our obvious red zone woes.

Its just crazy to see the kind of yards we put up and see a botched field goal and no points on the board.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Was very nice to both the Clowns and the Pootytats drop one but I am not ready to crown Ravens the champs yet.. It's very early and they have a tendency to shiat the bed every now and again lol

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he's dropped 2. I don't care, throw him the ball, he'll catch way more then he drops.

25. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    It's insane.

Haley should just design his drives to incorporate splash plays as soon as the team passes the opposing 40 yard line. Two splash plays, then go for the first on 3rd down for three more splash plays and the field goal. :lolol: