1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Derek Moye

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelgirl84, Oct 17, 2014.

1. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I just don't get what the hell we're doing with these receivers. Derek made some great catches last season, he caught almost anything that was near him. Then he missed a long ball and we didn't see him again. Derek is tall- which is what we lack in our receivers. They have him like 1 try- then forgot about him. We went and spent money getting Lance Moore. So he missed a ball or 2 against Cleveland. No one played good against Cleveland. (That still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.) Darius Heyward-Bey (I don't think I spelled that right) had a great preseason. He hasn't gotten much play at all. They decide that Justin Brown and Markus Wheaton are better than Lance & Darius. How so they make these decisions?! I mean, Markus is better this year. But is he better than the others? I doubt it.

2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Wheaton is far and wide the second best receiver on the team. After that, they are all kinda really on the same playing field. Bryant might become more valuable due to his size and redzone ability, but we will have to see. Moye also dropped a lot of balls in camp and preseason. And is slow and not strong.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Wheaton hasn't shown me anything yet. Ithink JB is going to be a better wr than him.. but im pulling for all our young wr"s

4. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011
    Why do you think JB will be better? Are you a Penn State fan?

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    no, i just got a feeling. this is is his first year and wheatons sec. and i already like his play better . everyone one was on him for drping a td and fumbling but wheaton also missed a td and droped a few balls this year..

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Derek Moye had two catches last year, TWO! As a matter of fact that's all he has for his career, TWO stinking catches!
    What are the Steelers thinking?
    People were wondering why JB was playing over Moore, well we know why now.
    DHB? Yeah can't believe the dumb Steelers coaches are riding this All -Pro on the bench!
    Maybe, Just Maybe the coaches are putting the best options on the field on Gameday and we don't have a team full of Pro Bowlers riding the bench and practice squad.

7. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    First of all, I said that he made some good catches, I said nothing about how many. So he dropped 1 or 2 in the preseason. WHO didn't? He's tall- which is something we do not have. But I suppose you'll find a way to prove he's short.
    So why is JB playing over Moore? Not because he dropped a pass when we played the Browns. I hadn't realized he was the only one to make a mistake that game.
    I'm not saying that DHB is another Hines Ward. My thoughts were that since the Steelers went out & got these guys- that they'd give them more of an opportunity.
    If the coaches are putting the best options on the field on gameday, you'd think that maybe, just maybe we'd be a little better than we are. If you don't agree with what I have to say- whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. But you really don't have to be such a sarcastic idiot about it. I was excited to have found this forum & am new to it. I doubt I'll be sticking around much longer though.

8. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011
    JB was drafted the same year as Wheaton, thus making this his second year. We can agree to disagree, but Wheaton is and will be unequivocally better than JB.

9. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011
    if my response caused drama for you, sorry. However, good luck handling some posters here, as they are much more direct.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I kno they came into the league the same year but JB remained on the practice squad. and wheaton played in games last year..that being sad sho me how he is UNEQUIVOCALLY better than JB because i dont see it.. so i guess we will just disagree

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think one of our many issues is that none of the WRs other than AB have demonstrated that they're ready for prime time. Moore is a proven vet, so I'm sure he'll be fine as he gets back up to speed post-injury, but he's really just a #3 slot guy and has limited red zone value. I think a lot of the negatives that people are seeing with Ben are really receiver issues. We've got talent there, but it's still in development. I think Moye was the odd man out among that group because Wheaton, Bryant, JB and the practice squad guys are just better and show more potential. I'm especially interested in seeing what Bryant's got. I watched a ton of tape on him in college, and his physical capability is close to that of Randy Moss. Obviously he's nowhere near Randy Moss in terms of ability level, but the potential is there for him to be a stud. One of the signs that I saw of that in the preseason was the number of DPIs that he drew. It was obvious that the DBs he went up against were so physically overmatched that they had to mug him whenever the ball came his way. He's a long, long way from being an every down WR. However, I think he has the potential to help us in the red zone right now. I never felt that way about Moye despite his height. He just didn't have the strength to overpower DBs, and despite his timed speed he didn't play fast IMO.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Edit: just read the last part of your post.
    Hang around for a while, this place is full of cool knowledgable fans.
    Sorry if I upset you, didn't mean to come off as harsh as I did.
    My apologies.

13. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah, I have been reading/ lurking this message board, and before that Diamond Daves, but just recently started posting myself. Take everything right now with a grain of salt and NOT personally, these be trying times in the kingdom. The Steelers have better players than They are playing like, better coaches than they are coaching like, and it has everyone on edge right now. Thank God the Rooney's still own the team, though.

14. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey Steelgirl! Glad to have you on board. There are a number of us who wanted to see Moye with a hat, so you are not alone. And he did catch everything in the preseason last year and that's why he beat out some of the others. We are lousy in the redzone because we have short receivers and cutting Moye gives us one less tall option. I am also not a fan of Justin Brown - just don't see anything exceptional about the guy. I think Wheaton is a keeper, but we need a 3rd WR, ether DHB or Bryant. Moore is useless IMO.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Justin Brown 6'3" - 12 catches
    Derek Moye 6'5" - 2 catches

16. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Boy the way people talk Moye would be the savior to the season. SMH

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe for the same reason we saw Chris Rainey as our primary RB in a game a couple of seasons back after Mendenhall and Dwyer fumbled. Tomlin likes to selectively make examples of players at times even to his own demise. You're right, Moye seemed to be getting a shot at playing time, dropped one ball and all of a sudden Tomlin banishes him to never never land. I'm not saying Moye was the permanent answer, but I thought he deserved more of a shot.

And please stick around. Don't let Glenn get to you. He's pretty cantankerous at times but is actually a pretty nice guy once you get to know him. He's part of what we call around these parts "the rose colored glasses brigade". ;)

18. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Your stats reinforce that Justin Brown is just not good. He has been targeted 21 times, caught 12 and only has 94 yards to show for it. That is awful for a WR - around 4.5 yds per target. For comparison, AB is 10 and Wheaton is about 7. He has done nothing to show he deserves a hat on gameday. I wasn't actually comparing Justin Brown and Moye, I was saying that we needed a 3rd WR and Justin Brown just isn't it. I was talking about Moye for redzone duties. Everyone keeps saying how bad we are in the redzone but the team doesn't do anything to change it. We need a tall package in the redzone, that's why I don't like them cutting Moye. They should line up with AB (just too good,) Moye, Bryant and Heath in the redzone. I guarantee our redzone performance would improve if they did that.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Maybe a new ownership wouldn't put up with this crap, a new owner would probably get a new GM and let him hire the coach he wants to build this team, the Rooney's are stuck in a time warp, this team is stale and needs an infusion of fresh inovative minds to fix it....

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was rooting for Moye last year as well but Haley's scheme is so heavily predicated on WRs being able to block and seal edges and things like that and I guess we just can't afford a roster spot for "one trick ponies". I mean I can think of another one trick pony we used to have and we didn't keep him either and he was lightyears ahead of Moye. I do want Ben to have a big red zone target but I would rather it be an all around player and not just a guy that comes in when we reach the 10 and then automatically turns our cards face up for the d. The Steelers are historically very good at not letting really good players walk and I will be really surprised if Moye goes on to be some worldbeater. Has anyone else even claimed him?

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    JB blocks. That's the reason he is getting so much playing time. His skills away from the ball are what is getting him on the field. I'm not a big fan of his receiving either but if he can block and help AB get in space then I am totally fine with that. Wheaton is really the guy that needs to step it up because we invested a pretty high pick in him and to whom much is given much is required.

22. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I disagree. The day the Rooney's walk away from the Steelers will be a sad, sad day.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This may be the worst post I've ever read !

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He's better than Moye and that was the point!

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    OK... I'll volunteer to take over ownership of the team, and save the franchise. Anyone got a spare 2 billion I can borrow? I'll promise you free season tickets for life!