1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebola

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So, been loosely following this but this thing may be getting some legs under it.

Anyone think it could become a large scale outbreak? A second nurse has been identified, thats two and one of them traveled the day before she showed symptoms.

Both nurses have had a lot of contact with people. I always new it was a matter of time before that thing got here. Hope they contain it.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Fortunately it's not that easy to contract. From my understanding it's not transferable like a cold etc. You pretty much have to exchange fluids with someone. However, if it gets bad I'll be leaving my 6,000,000 neighbors and heading for the woods for 6-8 weeks. Not out of fear of contracting the virus, but the panic that will inevitably ensue.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah...as far as contagions go, it's not that big of a threat here in the US. It's definitely a scary bug though, in terms of the mortality rate and the quickness/traumatic nature of death. Contact with body fluid is the only way to get it (aside from eating certain wild animals in Africa), so it should be pretty easy to contain here in the states.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the past that concerns me: its jumping into our livestock.

The fact that the CDC supposedly told the second nurse to go ahead and fly after she reported early symptoms is troubling. We can isolate and stave off any serious outbreak here. But we have to be smart. That wasn't very smart.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The spread to livestock here seems like a really low probability. The meat issue in Africa stems from eating bats and mainly other primates- chimps, gorillas, etc- and not cooking them properly.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't know there was a "proper" way to cook monkey. THAT must explain why I always hate the taste of it! LOL!!! I remember the first time I ever seen someone eat it was on a Faces of Death video from way back in the day. MAN those things used to scare the crap out of me! As far as Ebola goes I would say that some of it might be sensationalized as far as an outbreak occurring but the media SHOULD spread the news about it because there are so many that work in the medical field who should be up to date on how it is being handled. Actually the nurse that got it was wearing the hazmat suit and everything! That is pretty crazy but apparently it is more about how they take it off than how they put it on.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, that won't be pretty.

Thats whats bothering me. It's not easy to contract and these are people in the health field and yet they still got it and then the nurse got on a plane. That just seems very careless and stupid to me by all that were involved.

Should turn out ok but I wouldn't have thought even two people would have gotten it.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude that nurse went to Cleveland! Can you imagine if a player had been hurt and had to go to the hospital there? That would have been crazy!

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    True. But I tend to think in worst terms possible. ;)

New animal most likely? Pigs.

And then no more bacon. :worried::fright::cry:

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, properly cooked means what? Most people seem to like their meat Medium/Rare. Now that's ok as long as you're still getting the internal temperature to where it's supposed to be, but how often does that happen?

I'm a medium/well guy. I'll definitely take overcooked meat vice the later.

Does anyone really know how much bodily fluids/fecal matter you're exposed to on a daily basis? I seem to remember a show that cleaned up peoples houses and used to show how much fecal matter was in a bathroom that wasn't cleaned properly. It wasn't pretty.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Depends on the type of meat and even the cut. Most cuts of beef, you can get away with pretty much almost raw. (Unless it's scrap meat or bought ground, then there's a risk for E. Coli O157:H7 and should be cooked all the way through to at least 160 degrees) Some people advise even whole cuts be cooked to a minimum of 145 degrees internal temperature. But, IMO, that's playing it way safe. And I'm usually paranoid about any kind of food poisoning. Most beef doesn't worry me. I'll eat it raw before I'll eat shoe leather. :p

Used to be pork had to be cooked all the way through to at least 180 degrees internal temperature (to kill any possible trichinosis). Lately, they claim that trichinosis has been eradicated from domestic pigs and many chefs are now cooking some pork medium rare. But you'll never get me to try it. ;)

Chicken/turkey obviously needs to be thoroughly cooked as salmonella is a major concern. 165 degrees for white meat, 180 for dark.

But that's all what we call "normal" meat. MONKEY? Bat? I have no idea. Burn it? And if you know it can hold ebola, just don't eat any period???

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Good post! I know I'm in the minority when i say i want all my meats , ore towards the no red spectrum.

I'm definitely like you on the pork side if things. I even prefer my ribs a little on the well done side. Heck i like dry rubbed with sauce on the side

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Your guess is as good as mine...I've never eaten bat, monkey or gorilla. I read somewhere that part of the reason the disease has spread so rampantly is because "bushmeat" is seldom cooked hot enough to kill pathogens. It's either smoked or barely cooked.

14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    While I'm not overly scared about Ebola (basically because I don't think it will effect me) (I know, pretty shallow of me), I can totally see how the end of world virus can spread. Look at the precaustions that are supposed to be taken and this is still spreading, even in the US.
    And not all healthcare facilities have the same protocols. The hospital my wife works for (thankfully she doesn't actually work at a hospital that's only her employer) essentially said that suspected Ebola patients will be kept in the ER, pending a preliminary blood test. :blink:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Now they are saying she may have had symptoms while in contact with 12 people. Anyone ever read The Stand? :eek:

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess people will soon start joining the Fireflies. Very few people will know what that means. LOL.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    MOON...that spells Tom.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    At first I was like, "huh?", but then I realized I knew what that was. :-D

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The mini-series was good though.

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    For you!

But The Stand's Captain Trips was a superflu. Flu is about elventybillion times easier to catch than ebola. ;)

If Ebola was that contagious, MOST of Africa would be dying by now. Let's keep it in perspective. (And also hope the virus doesn't mutate) ;)

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    There's a report that as many as 10,000 a WEEK could die in Africa. That's ridiculous.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I knew you would know. If you see a clicker just BEquiet!!!

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Key words there.

That's if they don't get it under control and it hits higher density populations. Not even half that many have died to date. And the outbreak started in April.

Yes, there's a ton of cause for concern. Action must be taken above and beyond what is normally done. But it's not time to panic either.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I haven't played it yet. No spoilers. ;)

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I think it is certainly sensationalized but if I was around someone that had it I would want to know about it. It still is pretty reckless to let these people in to the country though. Although the guy that died from it apparently lied about having it and the nurse also apparently lied about her condition as well.