1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2010 Steelers Draft Review

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Sep 30, 2014.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats funny :lolol:

The thing that jumped out in that article was needing to spend a pick on Sanders because Holmes was a screw up. Had he acted like a pro, our WR corps would have been much stronger AND we could have used that 3rd rounder on someone else.

So as much as I loved what Holmes did for us in the SB, I'm equally pissed at him for hurting the team like that.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's funny what they say about AB. I once saw something that showed how scouts thought Jerry Rice ran bad routes and had bad hands. Yeah. How'd that work out? Also it's funny about how much he loved Dwyer.

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ya know I never was a Holmes fan anyway but I'm sure glad he had the moment when it really mattered. There was just always something about him that rubbed me wrong. Remember that game where he kept muffing punts and Cowher went absolutely BALLISTIC on him? That was hilarious! Although at the time I wanted to kill him. LOL.

5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Great point! I often go back on the not-so-good draft picks to see "who could we have gotten?!" Two names that jumped out at me:

- Navorro Bowman..............ouch!!! Franchise MLB to team-up with Timmons
    - Jimmy Graham. Imagine him in this offense now

Edit: oh...add Geno Atkins to that list....ugghhhhhh

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've actually been wanting go look back over the last few years at "what might have been" but I'm just not THAT much of a glutton for punishment. LOL.

7. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, seeing that Bowman was available is a kick in the nuts!

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ouch is right :eek:

Cant with the last 2 drafts yet but 2010 and 2011 you can.

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotta love the draft experts. Here is what NFL.com's draft profile said about Limas Sweed:

Compares To: ANDRE JOHNSON-Houston...While Sweed is taller than Johnson and Johnson has better separation ability, both are long striders with a good burst off the line vs. a clean release. He is quick to gobble up the cushion and get behind the defender, but he is not the most polished route runner you will find. With his size and ability to shield the ball from defenders, he does a fine job of getting to the ball in a crowd. However, he must show better concentration skills, as he has left quite a few thrown balls on the ground. When out in front of the defense, he can take the ball to the house, evident by his 20 touchdown catches. If he gets a clean bill of health leading up to the draft, he will be able to secure first-day draft status.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh Jesus...I'm afraid to look at picks after Sweed went. I try to forget that nightmare of a pick. I bet there were 7th rounders we'd love to have now :facepalm:

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for the link, SC, interesting read. He's basically half-right throughout - Pouncey did step in immediately, Worilds did have to learn his trade a bit, and Jonathan Dwyer was the next coming of Jesus that elevated us to a SB winning team. Oh, wait, hang on...

As I always say, the thing about the 'what if' game is that you have to appraise how the draft board looked then, not what we know now; and what the knock-on effect would have been.

For example, would we ever have picked Bowman in the place of Sanders, given the MLBs we had then? (Can't remember who was backing up Farrior, Foote and Timmons...). Did Thaddeus Gibson have the potential to do more than he did, if he was given the time to develop? Would we have got more out of him than Sylvester? etc. etc.

12. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll admit, I remember watching the draft live on the 3rd day and seeing "Antonio Brown - WR - Central Michigan" pop-up and just thinking..."mmkay, another one I've never heard of. We'll see what happens..."

Here are a couple of examples of his draft stock:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/antonio-brown?id=497276 - lack of size, small hands, smaller school, and unpolished route running jumps out at me here

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1272852 - slow release off line, mentions a lot of his catches were only a few yards deep, no major character concerns.

While I don't feel the least bit that he has character concerns, I do feel like AB still has some growing up to do!

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, to be fair, I don't believe this assessment is that far off. Sweed had absolutely no problem creating separation and getting open. He just had issues with focus and concentration and dropped too many catchable balls. Feigning injury after drops didn't help his cause either.

14. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I really wanted Bownam in the third round that draft. IMO, we needed a replacement for a long in the tooth Farrior. I was a big Foote detractor then. I had imagined a group of JH, Timmons, Bowman, Woodley.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Big Foot exists, BFT told me so, he's seen him way out there in the sticks.

16. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree to an extent, Jack. Sweed had noticeable drops, but statistically he wasn't particularly better or worse than most. The idea that he couldn't catch was overstretched by the fan base, imo.
    What did Sweed's career in was whatever off-field issues he was having (which seemed to be more related to mental health, though I'm not sure it was ever made clear).

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and also werewolves do as well. I actually shot one once but by the time I got to it it had turned back in to my neighbor's dog. I thought I heard a Bigfoot the other day but turns out it was just my mother in law.