1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Fullback: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Sep 30, 2014.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There have been many reports that the league is becoming a pure passing league, that the use of a true fullback/lead blocker is being phased out. Too many coaches in love with the hybrid TE/FB. So imagine my surprise when we saw an effective power run game against Carolina using Will J as a lead blocker for Blount. I was even more shocked that they didn't utilize the formation again this week especially the final drive where a single first down cements the win. Put in Miller and Spaeth and let Will J lead the way for Blount. I didn't catch a lot of the Chiefs manhandling the Pats last night but I did see some highlights after the half of some of the sweetest run blocking by and OL and FB/lead blocker that I have seen since the days of Krieder and the Bus. It almost made me cry with joy. Power I maybe going to way of the dinosaur but it is still beautiful to watch. I hope they go back to their roots this weekend and pound the rock and let Ben work the playaction.

2. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Great post!

Yes, it's amazing what a fullback (who seems to be some kind of caveman in today's NFL) can do to an offense right now.

Enjoyed reading this.

3. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    As defenses get lighter and faster to combat the pass, power running with a fullback will get more productive which will cause more teams to use it. Which will lead to heavier defenses and the cycle of football will continue.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking much the same at the time. We tried to be too clever against the Bucs, I think. For the first time in a while we have a pair of RBs that can genuinely wear down the defense, and a blocking team capable of making it happen. Let's see more of that, please.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How about some love for Rosie NIX!!!! Bell has a career day and there is a FB leading the way? coincidence? I think not. Power football lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like power football, lets use all our resources. These db's of today don't want to deal with that.
    Hell most of them don't even want to get near to tackle.As you so correctly said
    it opens up the play action passing game. Win WIN

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    you right Thorn
    it is swaying back in that direction because of the defenses thye play to stop the pass
    i'm loving it
    i also believe we have the defense players who can cover the run even if at first they are playing pass

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    he blew that one guy up

9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rosie Nix was great last week. Also noticed that with Finney at left guard we have two guards that both can pull along with Nix leading the way. This creates a mismatch on sweeps and Bell has his big day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Nix made all the difference in the world. He is an excellent blocker and was making holes for Bell

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He blocked very well as did Finney , but it is never as good as it seems or as bad as it seems .The weather helps the Offense big time as these guys know where they are going it hurts the Defense because they have to redirect...Not taking away from there work, but I saw a good # of plays that would have been snuffed out if the field was fast...

On a fast field those fast defenders run underneath a lot of those blocks on the outside , so don't expect that kind of dominance consistently from either of those guys ....

12. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I want a good clean nothing (nasty/dirty) physical game against the Rats and Bungholes we need to be healthy for this playoff run. We need all are marbles!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015