1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Husain Abdullah penalized for praying

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Ray D, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Before we even get started on this, let me remind everyone that religious discussions are discouraged here (in the interest of preventing flame/holy wars disrupting the board). So please try to keep the discussion to the rules and what he did.

Husain Abdullah prostrated himself in prayer in the endzone after an interception return on MNF. He was immediately flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct (going to the ground). By his name, it should be no surprise he is a Muslim. Prostrating is a common way of prayer for them.

Here's the rub: Unless I'm mistaken, the "going to the ground" part of the penalty does NOT include prayer. IOWs, by rule, he shouldn't have been flagged.

An alternative take says that he wasn't actually flagged for praying, but for sliding on his knees just before the prayer. It doesn't matter if that's true. People will spin it into his being flagged for praying anyway.

If the rule is the rule, then IMO he should not have been flagged. After all, Tebow was never flagged for going down to his knee, nor are others who may genuflect or some other demonstration of prayer.

And now for my controversial comments on all of this:

It's a bunch of utter nonsense!

Why is there an exception for prayer at all? Demonstrative prayer as a TD celebration is every. single. bit. as much "look at me, look at me" as a dance, or dunking over the goalpost. It's just as much an attention plea as anything else. Oh, it may be for what some players consider to be good reasons, but it still is. After all, nothing is stopping them from praying all they want after the game, or over on the bench. They're making a public display of it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just calling it what it is.

So stop the double standard. Either going to the ground (or knee) is fine for everyone, or it isn't at all.

I'm on the side of - why is this even a penalty?

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Had the discussion with a guy at work as well. I basically thought Tebow went to the sideline for his kneel down on most of his and he didn't slide into any of them. I think his most notable ones were after the games. I could be mistaken though.

Regardless if the rule says going to the ground then every going to the ground prayer or not should be penalized.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    NFL Vice President of Football Communications-
    [tweet]516942894318383104[/tweet]

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Has anyone noticed the shots of our d on the sidelines praying together this year? At least it looked to me like that's what they were doing. Andy Reid said in his presser that he "slid" and maybe he was trying to downplay it. I knew that he was gonna get flagged for going to the ground but I figured he didn't care since they were winning by so much. A lot of players do religious gestures without going to the ground though. A lot of guys point up when they do something good or "bless" themselves as Catholics do. I honestly don't even understand the whole "you can't go to the ground" thing anyway. I can understand they shouldn't be dogpiling but like what AB did was just quick and he was right back up. It still was dumb though because he cost his team. It's ridiculous that you can't go to the ground but you can literally jump in to the dang front row of the stands ya know?

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I assume that a snake handling celebration would still be penalized ... but only for using a prop, right?

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao:

I was going to ask what if a Roman Catholic pulled out a Rosary, would it violate the prop rule?

But then again, I just figured if that was ever going to happen, it would have already in the 40s or 50s.

I'm really looking forward to an animal sacrifice myself. :cool:

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The bigger issue here is being completely overlooked. If the NFL would stop using mechanics to officiate games, we might actually see a decrease in these BS flags being thrown. No wonder they're so confused.

Someone should do a bad lipreading with that as a theme.

8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I know your trying to be funny and get attention but the animal sacrifice comment is just plain stupid.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is it in a nut shell, they are making it impossible for these guys to officiate, it was already a hard game to call, now with all the added BS, its no wonder these guys get so much of it wrong.

As for the topic at hand, I thought he was flagged for sliding, if I remember, he was already reaching for his flag before the player went into prayer.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously it was intended as a joke.

I was just thinking "how far would we take the religious exception?" and remembered the movie Major League. Cerano wanted to sacrifice a live chicken.

11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I thought it was. I have read enough of your post to not think it was serious. The timing was what made me react. I rescue and save many animals and just went through a very long, expensive and somewhat bloodly rescue of a dog that was being treated poorly. Fortunately the bloodly part did not involve the dog. That was between me and the previous owner. The big thing is the dog is now with me and my animal family. So it worked out well. I'm just probably even a little more sensitive than normal about any issue involving anything bad happening to an animal. I keep thinking as I get older I will get less angry and less involved in trying to help an animal that needs help. But it never works that way so I guess this is the way it will be until I die.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    this is one that the nfl is going to lose big time........ I fully expect the league to issue an apology soon and amend the rule. they are already facing too much backlash as it is.... the last thing they need is to face public scrutiny for telling a player that he can't pray

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the NFL was quick to apologize this morning already saying it should not have been a penalty.

But my original argument stands. Why is it even a penalty at all? We don't need exceptions. We need consistency.

14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm almost at the point now were a Personal Foul doesn't even faze me anymore. They are becoming more frequent (No Fun League), and it seems rather arbitrary when they call them. I still remember the game in 2012 where the flag was thrown at Brown for running backwards into the endzone. Couldn't just about anything be considered taunting, depending upon how a ref decides to interpet a rule?

Now, that being said, I can't stand showboating*. I get angry every time I see Brown do his stupid point and drop the football thing or when Bell gets up and points towards a first down. And don't get me started on a defensive player who does they're little sack dance. That's your job, folks, act like you've been there before. Take a page out of Heath Miller's book.

*Hines Ward mocking the Ray Lewis dance is totally cool in my opinion :cool:

15. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    SO! Somebody 'splain this to my thick skull with little brain. The ref is supposed to know when a player is going to the ground for religious reasons?:shrug:

So you can only go to the ground after a TD if you wanna pray?

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I personally don't believe in freedom of religion, so I'm sure you know what I think of this. Feel free to believe in whatever you want, in private. We don't need religion out in the open. Save it for your home and church.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That's basically the issue here. He slid 3 or 4 yards and finished with a prayer. The flag was thrown as he began to pray. Under the rules, this is one of those situations where it could go either way on the field. I imagine they'll be a little less quick to throw the flag after this week, considering the league's recent perceived insensitivity to certain issues.

[​IMG]

18. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanx! So without the slide he probably wouldn't (or shouldn't) have been penalized?

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That's affirmative.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I hate these rules that require this type of thought by the official!

OK, I understand there are certain Religions that are widely recognized, but what if someone's religion says go to the ground in a crucifix pose? Not bringing a religious discussion, but how the hell is a referee supposed to make that kind of a judgment call?

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Personally, I'm fine with the slide and the prayer. NFL is ridiculous with all these rules.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If it's in the rules to throw a flag on form of prayer then wouldn't Troy be flagged after every single play?

The clebration rules are ridiculous but they had to do something about it while going through the years of Chad Ochobozo and others like him him who started taking them waaaaaaay over the top.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They are just barely better than college.