1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Summary on State of the Team (Coaching)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Sep 29, 2014.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Alright, first of all...I don't start many threads. But after last night and the drama on here, I felt that I should.

Yesterday was one of the most painful days for Steelers fans in recent memory. To top it off, my Gamecocks lost a game they should NOT have lost the night before, so after 4:00 yesterday afternoon, I had had enough. On the board last night when I said "jock sniffers" regarding Tomlin apologists, I meant it half jokingly, and honestly am still floored that some on here had such meltdowns about me saying it. Lighten up brethren, I certainly didn't mean it personally, as I didn't say anything about anyone personally, and certainly did not call anyone out by name (although I saw a few that called me out by name) :roll:. At the end of the day, we all pull for the same team and want the same for them, success. Here is my take on what needs to happen if this team is ever going to turn things around and for Tomlin to gain some kind of control of it (I don't believe he has ANY control currently). I'll try to keep this rant organized, forgive me if I jump around a little...

Game after game, Tomlin points out in press conferences that players continue to make stupid penalties. Ultimately, controlling how an employee acts when you're the boss falls on you, THE BOSS...period. I think last night, what upset me so much is that in the real world that we as fans live in, if at our job we can't figure out we need to do, we are demoted or fired. What most of us make in a year, these guys earn in 1/2 quarter, or less. If they get a 15 yard penalty...aeehhh, who cares...they're still gonna have their millions to "feed their families." These players continue to do the same thing game after game and are NEVER held accountable...NEVER! With Tomlin, I honestly feel that these players don't take him seriously as their boss. He's the kind of boss where there's no leadership, and just wants everyone to like him. He's afraid to be the bad guy by correcting errors that his employees continue to make. His employees behind the scenes run the company and make the decisions, and the boss is just the spokesperson labeled "the boss." Ask yourself, honestly...when have you EVER seen Tomlin truly take the bull by the horns and correct discipline problems to prevent them from happening again?! With some of these repeating offenses, he is going to have to take extreme measures, and nothing should be off the table, such as benching players. Tomlin is too afraid to hurt players feelings, such as the Blount/Bell situation, and how it would be handled behind closed doors. I don't believe for a second that the discipline was anymore than speaking to them. I felt that they should have been benched atleast the first half of the Cleveland game, regardless of the fact that Bell is on my fantasy team too...haha

Coincidentally, as I type this, I'm watching ESPN First Take. I can't stand Bayless and usually don't particularly care for Stephen A. Smith most of the time, but Smith is dead-on with what he's saying. He publicly announces his love of Mike Tomlin, but he's saying exactly what I've been saying..."it speaks to an absence of discipline, where the person whose head is going to be in the guillotine is Mike Tomlin, and the players may end up costing Tomlin his job." Bayless talked about how Tomlin is too close to his players and they're getting away with more because they know they won't be held accountable. The sad truth that I had just said above...

In the real world, employers sometimes put employees on "administrative leave," or "leave with pay." In the football world, this means that Tomlin would need to bench players either for lack of performance, or more-so in this case, making stupid decisions that are continually hurting the corporation (15 yard penalties). While I don't agree with Brown being penalized for the celebration, the fact of the matter is he knows that the referees don't allow for anything resembling "fun" anymore. He as well as Bell act all too often like they've never "been there before." If he or ANYONE else can't figure this out and quit doing making stupid decisions, then Tomlin needs to start earning his nearly $6 million salary and act like a boss and not their buddies. If any player can't figure out what they need to do to stop hurting the team, then they need to be disciplined by any means necessary. If this isn't corrected VERY soon, these problems are going to start to snowball. This team is teetering on a very dangerous cliff, and if Tomlin doesn't get control of it, it's going to get much worse...

2. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I don't see Tomlin getting control of anything. I mean I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see the situation fixed but It doesn't seem to me that he is good for this team

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't either. And to the Tomlin apologists, I don't get pleasure out of seeing it this way. I am a Steelers fan till my dying day, have the ink on my arm to show it. Like SteelHaven said, I hope I'm wrong too. But I also don't see it ever happening, and feel strongly that a change is needed, and is not as far off as people think.

Some say "we've had three coaches in 50 years...you're crazy if you think they're getting rid of Tomlin." To that I say, this team never had these problems with Noll or Cowher. The state of this team compared to a Cowher or Noll team is like comparing apples & oranges

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    As much as I totally agree with your post, I must say this is more a state of the coaching staff than it is the team

5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    See edited thread title (thanks for pointing that out)

6. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I cant agree more. I think Tomlin is in over his head, his teams always seem to play down to their competition and are never hungry. I remember the days when the Steelers were a lock on MNF or SNF but now you never know what team will show up. I see the Cle game as being a precursor to the season. I understand the D is young and all the other things everyone always says but they have a star at the most important position (QB). The Pats, Packers, Saints, Broncos, Colts again are always in the playoff and Superbowl talk because of the QB. Along with the QB all these teams have good to great HCs. The HC is the man in control he said it yesterday "were not coaching it, but allowing it to happen" (dont crucify me if its not exact). Thats the point he understands the problem but yet still can not and will not fix it. To me he seems like a fan of the steelers with the best seat in the house every week. Everyone says it wasn't his decision to hire TH, or he cant let DL go well if it is supposed to be his decision as the HC who his coordinators are and he is not given that authority then he should step down on principle of not being allowed to do his job. OBVIOUSLY he knows some football or he would never had the opportunity to be where he is, he is just not a good coach and it shows each week. Some weeks they look like SB contenders the next they should get the no.1 pick.
    Lastly he was a db coach in Tampa and our DBs have been the worst position on the field during his tenure here, you think he could have some say there and try and sure up the secondary just a little.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just 1 thing to consider back in the day this Team was loaded with talent now not so much they now they give the Coach the best chance of making plays thus winning and helping the Coach stay employed.

When you have a Franchise QB he has more pull than the Head Coach , he is basically calling his own plays and designing the game plan so IMO he needs to help reel these guys in and lead them into more practice time and more film study ....The CBA has all but tied thew hands of the Coach the players really run the Team and we lack that type of leadership on both sides of the ball.

8. steelers1971

steelers1971 New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    I agree with this thread 100 %. When the same mistakes or issues, like bad penalties are a reaccuring theme then its obvious that you're message to the players isn't getting through to them.

The most telling part of yesterdays result was that I wasn't surprised by it. Tomlin-lead steeler teams have been doing this for a long time now. If you're a team that winless, play the steelers and get your win. If you struggle to run the ball, play the steelers and get your run game back on track. Not getting to the qb, no problem, come to Pittsburgh and help yourself to 5 sacks in one half.

We lost to TIM TEBOW, in a playoff game. That's the only nfl game he will be rememberd for, thanks to Tomlin-lead steelers.

This guy is a position coach at best. Not a headcoach. All he does if talk with big words during his press conferences and act like he some disciplinarian, when in fact his teams are one of the most undisciplined steelers teams I have ever seen. He has no control of offense, defense, st, clock management, and worst off, having a team ready to play. He needs to go.

9. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We are all pi**ed about yesterday. And I agree with the thoughts expressed in this thread. Accountability starts from the top down. So where does the buck stop?? The Rooneys? Colbert? Tomlin? Haley? LeBeau? Team captains?

Lets face it. Tomlin's teams have not met the Steeler standard for the past several years. Maybe it's time for the next man up?

A regime change and culture change could turn things around quickly. I know there is some reported friction in SF, but look what Harbaugh did when he took over for Singletary. Same team, but different mojo...and immediately competitive.

10. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And for some levity amongst the anger:
    Fire Mike Tomlin
    Bring back Bruce Arians IMMEDIATELY...

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    To think that this team has 4 coaches on it's staff that have prior NFL head coaching experience. The lack of discipline with the players is pretty crazy.

1.Tomlin
    2. Lebeau
    3. Haley
    4. Munchack

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    you are right the responsability start from art rooney II

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao::-o:shock::blink::this!:

15. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The players, in particular our front 7, just aren't good enough, and it is hurting us big time. Except for the Ravens game, at least we are scoring points this year as opposed to last year. I think the offense is moving in the right direction.

That said, I would like to see more of the fiery and animated Haley that most people associate with him. So far he has seemed really calm. I would like to see him yell at players like AB who make mistakes.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theyve have near identical careers to date. I dont know how you even can say that. Identical, down to their teams floundering at the same point in time. All the things you are saying, were being said about Cowher, this whole Cowher had a plan and direction stuff, no he didn't, there were fire Cowher clubs, you guys are either to young or just remembering what you want to remember.

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Not so much...Cowher's players didn't have a blatant lack of discipline, which was what the entire point of my comment entailed

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats incorrect too. In 1999, one of Cowhers struggling seasons his team had 119 penalties. Compare that to last season, Tomlins team had 80, in an era where penalties are called in an abundance.

When you are in transition and bringing in young talent, just as Cowher had to do in that 3 year stretch, players will make mistakes.

19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    As far as penalties, we're already halfway to last years total. That's piss pour and inexcusable! As far as transition, Brown is in what, his 4th year? What's the excuse with him continuing to act like he's never been there before?! smh

But as for my point above, discipline goes beyond penalties. Discipline involves making Football 101 tackles, cutting off angles, filling gaps, etc. There has been next to none of that with the # of missed tackles and blown assignments that there have been. There is absolutely no leadership with this team in any way shape or form.

Discipline goes far beyond the tunnel vision you're speaking of

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And Cowher had all those issues too. You keep making excuses for Cowher and turn around and bash Tomlin for the same exact things.

The tunnel vision being displayed is by you and your determination to villianize Tomlin at all costs. You'll see though, just like Cowher built a winning team again, so will Tomlin.

As far as Brown, he should know better but there was more undisciplined play out there then just him. Id also argue its much harder on coaches in todays look at me generation.

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree to disagree man. I've made excuses for Tomlin for 3 seasons now...enjoy continuing to be let down by the fraud

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope none of us have to endure much more of that. :smiley1:

23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Trust me...I'd rather eat crow and win a Super Bowl than be correct!

Edit: Super BOWLS!

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Up oh. Somebody just broke out the facts!
    Don't you know it's much better to use urban myths and false statements in a debate?

25. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    At least Cowher looked like he gave a s&*t, Tomlin stands there with the same deer in the headlights look week after week year after year. When things are good hes smiling and having a good time, when things are bad the camera still catches him smiling and having a good time. As a coach when my team is not playing up to potential and or playing poorly you couldn't get me to laugh or joke no matter what. That is what gets me the most I really feel he doesn't care until he gets in front of the camera or microphone and looks mad accepts responsibility and uses good vocabulary. Each week he does this and nothing changes so if hes excepting responsibility when should something happen to him if its ultimately his fault.