1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin thinks it's racist to call him a player's coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ray D, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I brought this up in the game thread. Here's the video: (sorry for the quality. Not my upload. But thanks to whoever did upload it)

[video=youtube;TTg7ODIz200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTg7ODIz200[/video]

Wow. Just... wow.

So even COMPLIMENTS are racist, Mike? Good to know. That makes criticism completely OOBs, huh?

Fire this clown. I'm done with him.

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    The man is clueless, and full of hot air,

3. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    What else do you expect from a oil salesman coach with a 90 IQ?

Now he's a racist conspiracy theorist.

We need to get as far away from this shtick as we can.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow! I'm seeing this for the first time. What a loser this guy is. Apparently being a players coach is a racial thing now. What a joke. I can't believe he brought race into that discussion. This guy is beyond clueless. No wonder he can't coach a football team, he doesn't have a clue about anything. I hope the Rooney's pull this loser aside and make him apologize for his idiotic comments. He's basically accusing people of racism by calling him a players coach.

The sooner this idiot is gone the happier I will be.

5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    hahaha...lets see the defending of this video in 3.....2......1 :popcorn:

6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The more he talks the dumber he sounds. This man wants to act cool and sound cool more than he wants to dive in and work at solving the problems. Hate to break the news to him but he isn't succeeding at either looking or sounding cool. He simply comes across as some one in way over his head. I wish he could grow into the job of head coach like I posted two and a half years ago but he has not moved forward in that time span, he is moving backward.

7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I got almost half way through, I couldn't finish.
    I don't want to hear that bull.

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011

Was this on pregame today???

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I might be naive, but when does he say he thinks it's racist? To be fair, people don't often use the "player's coach" phrase a compliment.

10. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Also to be fair, nobody uses it with race on their mind. That was such a stupid comment by Tomlin

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He said some of it "might be because of his race" and said "DL is an old white guy and he's a players coach but you don't hear anyone talking about that" or something like that. I agree that players coach is not a compliment. I also have always thought Tomlin was a players coach. At least since his 2nd season. Remember how many guys thought he was too hard his first year? That's why I'm saying since his 2nd season.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    She insinuated that the term players coach is no longer a compliment.

14. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The beloved Rooney's have painted themselves in a corner with this hire. Its the bed they made. But the problem is, every fan of this organization has to sleep in it.

The Rooney's suck for having hired him. I'm sure I'm not going to win any friends on this board by saying so, but it is what it is. OBVIOUSLY.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Did anyone hear the guy named "Dave" from Chattanooga TN call Cooler Talk today? He went on an EPIC rant about how Tomlin was nothing more than a "Rooney Rule Hire" and the Pittsburgh press won't take him to task and that's why he gets to stick around? He said "BA should have been the coach and now he's coaching up a storm in AZ". He went on and on about how useless Tomlin is and how the media covers for him. Charlie said he was wrong and that Tomlin would fix these problems and the he cares deeply about how good the team is. I bet that just made that guy even more mad. LOL. I personally think it is a REALLY low blow to call him a "Rooney Rule Hire" and frankly that IS probably a racist thing to say. However, the caller was black. So maybe not? I just think calling him a Rooney Rule guy is the equivalent of saying "without affirmative action he wouldn't be here".

16. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    He said AGE or RACE. Depending on the circumstances in which the question is asked it might be related to his age or race. We don't always know the circumstances in which the questions were/are asked.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    To be really fair, I have no idea what's on people's minds when they say it. :)

18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Regardless, there were many many responses he could have given that didn't involve throwing the "race card..."

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    He probably wouldn't have got the job if not for the Rooney rule

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Right, I got that, but he's saying that because he's young and black and the majority of the players are as well. Being that it's not a compliment, and the context of the conversation, I can see why he might say that.

I know I'm overly punctilious at times, but I was just wondering if I just didn't get it, because he never says "people who say that are racist".

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I think you'll be well liked. ;)

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    He basically implies it. He says he gets called a players coach because he's a young black man but Dick Lebeau doesn't get called a players coach because he's an old white man. Apparently only young black coaches can be players coaches. I've never heard that before. In fact, most of the time I hear of a coach being a players coach, he's a white guy.

23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey, for many people, the truth hurts! I disliked the hiring from day one and couldn't believe they passed on Whiz or Grimm...

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    If only people could walk in Tomlin's shoes for a few days then maybe they would understand??

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well the rule just says you have to interview and not hire. I'm not a cheerleader of his by any means. I just don't want reduce him to his race ya know? There are bad white coaches too.