1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwayne Haskins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelrules, Apr 9, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm:hmm:
    Things may have changed, but in the 90s I deadhead for Hertz(for extra money on some weekends)one of My ex old ladies was President there at the time, and they always had a full tank when they left .
    Now remember.....I only did this part time ,and that was quite a bit ago.....So many things may have changed. :shrug:

2. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Silly question but are you a reporter? Interesting take you had. You talked about Dewayne the person vs Dewayne the professional athlete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It may vary from airport to airport but I also remember where you could pre-pay for a full tank at the rental car company rates for the return, not knowing how their prices compared to off airport stations. It's always been a racket because if you have to return it full, the closer you get back to the airport, the higher the gas prices are typically jacked up. Can't imagine where these prices are today as the average prices right now in CA are $5.70-$6.50.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    These situations are tough for me. A lot of these players are from places akin to the Mon Valley where the perception of these kids is the only way to get out of the hood is via sports. Truly sad to see someone make it and end up passing far too young anyways. I won't get into the stuff regarding gas nor guys like Shefter and Gil here because it's not worth my time. It's just a heartbreaking thing for his family, friends and teammates to endure.

• Like Like x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This makes sense, and very well could be it.:thumbs_up:

6. Sun & Steel

Sun & Steel Active Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Really sad news. RIP

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Very sad. Condolences to his family. RIP Dwayne,

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I think Glenn summed it up nicely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well if he wasn’t a Steeler then yeah I wouldn’t expect there to be a thread in the Steelers section about him. I imagine there most definitely would’ve been one in the general football talk though.
    Throughout your post you’ve been suggesting that people are only commenting or care because it’s politically correct thing to do.
    Well that’s pretty pathetic.

Your last sentence was probably your smartest one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I am retired.
    Yeah, Dewayne was one of those guys you instantly like and he had talent.
    He just fell short of applying himself.
    He received a brutal lesson in life when he lost his job and reviewing game AND practice footage, it was nobody's fault but his.
    I had hopes that Tomlin would straighten him up and it did appear he was having an impact.
    But Dewayne the football player, is a mystery.
    DeWayne the person, is a person anybody would enjoy having in their circle.

That guy could flick a pass 60 yards easy. I've seen him throw longer with very good accuracy.
    The "Windows" just didn't seem to be something he was grasping.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Micheal Vick-like?
    That guy seemed to effortlessly flick his wrist and send the ball deep. Small hands and all :hehehe:
    Anytime someone talks about somebody flicking a ball, I get images of Vick's throwing style. So smooth, so effortless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't know if his arm was a good as Vick's... that guy could throw.
    What really made him dangerous was that speed..
    But yes, Haskin's had that natural arm strength.
    He also could move better than folks gave him credit for, but that wasn't his forte'

• Like Like x 1
  13. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Ahhh yes, what you described is or was the Mark Malone syndrome. Great physical attributes, but couldn't master the chess.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022
    That's basically what's on our QB roster
    Sad about Haskins, indeed, but our QB roster is still filled with a bunch of Cliff Stoudt's and Mark Malones...we are so far removed from competing for a Championship that it's not even funny. At this point, I'm seriously starting to wonder about our underachieving head coach and Artie II, as well. Think about it this way...every day, when Artie II goes to work and logs in to his computer, WTF is he seeing with the dudes in the building on his payroll? Maybe I'm just a dummy and missing something? Maybe it's just a game and, in the end, we're all "winners"? Maybe we have a loaded roster, but it just LOOKS like a bunch of USFL ragtags? I think this is a team that's going to make you get drunk every Sunday in order to not feel PAIN!

#firetomlin

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

F**k him.

F**K. HIM.

Wait a day later to apologize?! GTFO. How about be more professional from the beginning?! That Journalistic Integrity though!!!

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's sickening. He's sickening. Couldn't just report this unfortunate incident without throwing shade at the poor kid, could he? Off the top of my head, other than football the only program I watch that ESPN produces is 30 For 30. Most of the rest of their format is trash. When it was new, the network had integrity. That is long gone unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind that my animosity is a list of aspects that Schefter has done in the past. More explained in this tweet below.

I am never one to call for jobs. However, I am calling for some form of disciplinary action from ESPN; something that they have not done very well in their past. That said sadly, I expect little to come out of it. I would be surprised... but not shocked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

ESPN is a bunch of pricks, and not 1 of their programs is worth my time....Schefter is a putz.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is the perfect description of what happens when people get old. They lose their "Filter"

I am watching my Dad starting to go through this as he seems to be getting more opiniated about the world and the people who live in it and doesn't mind expressing his opinion without the P.C. "Filter" he used to have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Nah Brant came off as holding a grudge because the kid didn't come to their draft party and had his own.

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's probably it. Saw some takes talking about being cheap, but it was probably the "pre-pay for the tank and bring it back empty".

If he's like most people they try to really get the most and he ran out trying to get it back to the airport. I don't think there's one of us that haven't at some point in our lives, decided to try to cross a street with traffic. Most of us walk away with a closer than we thought it was, but alive.

I'd also like to spare a thought for the guy that hit him as well. I'd imagine his life is turned upside down today.

They had an interview with the person that tried to save the lady in the Ruggs crash and he was having a real hard time coming to grips with not being able to save her and watching it all happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I noted how Schefter said he wished he could take the tweet back. You can delete it, Adam!

Then turns his apology into a “look how much I know as an NFL insider”. What a prick.

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Happens to everyone. Watched my grandfather, then my dad although his was morphine induced, and now my mother in law. As long as they're not too opinionated and offensive, it can actually be funny. Even my mom. She's still in great shape and sharp, but took her to nyc for the first time this weekend, and she couldn't believe why some people dressed and acted the way that they did. And she'd tell me in real time, not after they were out of sight. Someday it will be us. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He did delete it. What you are seeing circulate is screen captures. People are fast on twitter.

• Agree Agree x 1