1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the greatest QB in Steelers history?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Terry Bradshaw

33 vote(s)
    53.2%
  2. Ben Roethlisberger

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. Neil O’Donnell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Some of y'all only look at Superbowl rings on a hand and ignore film, statistics and time of play.

And then some of y'all undermine the steel curtain as of just a defense who was good.....
    - They destroyed the Vikings to getting a ring. Where they held the Vikings to 17 yards and 119 total yards.
    - They sacked HOF QB staubach seven times. And 3 interceptions. For a Superbowl win.
    - they literally win games where they scored the points. And win games where the kicker only got a FG.

I really think so many here would say Roy Gerela is the best kicker and completely ignore Boswell. Heck some of y'all might forget why Anderson jersey is retired for....... And that's not a knock on Bradshaw or Roy. They were great. But they're not the best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So Gilman/hanratty having us get to the post season meant nothing, eh?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I swear some of y'all don't even know about the first few seasons of Bradshaw being known for his interceptions and being erratic.

y'all totally disqualify Gilman/hanratty getting us to the post season in 74. While 2 of our 3 loses cane from Terry. While Gilman/hanratty had less games lost.

No I'm not saying Terry sucks. I think he's great. But he's not #1

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Agree 1000%...I asked this to a Steelers fan at work the other day, though: If Ben played for the Emperor & Bradshaw played for Tomlin (basically trading places in time), how many SB Rings would Ben have ended up with and how many would Bradshaw have ended up with?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Let's not pretend Ben played wearing a Tom Brady skirt

Ben was the toughest QB in the league during his career

Haloti Ngata broke Bens nose. No flag . Ben went to the sideline wiped the blood away, they reset his nose and led the comeback win... with Isaac REDMAN scoring the go ahead

Not trying to nitpick your post... but Bradshaw never played a game against Marino or Moon.. he was more Ken Anderson, Stabler and Dan Fouts... and Staubach was in the NFC so did not see him often..... also Ben had Brady and Peyton on the AFC... two of the best to ever play

The biggest difference IMO that is not brought up is FREE AGENCY and the SALARY CAP which did not start until 93... that 70s team never had to worry about keeping the band together.

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Bradshaw had all those HOFers because it was pre-free agency and pre-salary cap. Can’t have that kind of team with the rules Ben played under. We just just be happy as fans that we had both of them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Have to disagree that Roy Gerela was great. I remember holding my breath on extra points with that guy. I think his range was about 38 yards and he boomed kickoffs to the 15 yard line with regularity. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And for those saying that Bradshaw played with HOFers it seems that you’re implying that Ben has played with scrubs. Just think of all of the great players supporting Ben over the years. AB, Bell, Bettis, Hines, Santonio, Heath, Pouncey to name a few. Ben has had a darn good supporting cast!

• Like Like x 2
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think NOD was a good quarterback, not a great one and definitely doesn’t belong in the conversation with Terry and Ben. The Steelers could win with O’Donnell and if he hadn’t been such a greedy idiot I believe he could have possibly had a shot at another Super Bowl or two with that team. He spent his last two years trying to get out of Pittsburgh. The year before the Jets signed him he signed a restricted tender with Tampa Bay which the Steelers matched. He should have hung around and tried to redeem himself but he was too much of a short-sighted fool to do that and instead cemented his legacy as the guy that threw away Super Bowl XXX! Still pissed over that one…ruined a nice little romantic getaway my wife and I were having.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on....those D were good ,but 2 compare them 2 the Steel Curtain is freaking unbelievable.
    You are going 2 get maybe 3 guys off that whole entire team that actually played more than one Year with Ben into the HOF(that's including Ben), and Your comparing them 2 a Defense that had 5 for sure HOF that where around most of Bradshaws career....not counting the 4 HOF offensive player. Most of His career, but I'm suppose 2 believe that doesn't make a difference...:shrug:
    Plus one played for One Coach...who had 4 SBs.
    While the other played for 2 coaches, and so far has won both coaches only SBs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st. You are comparing good cast of players 2 ten ....let me repeat that....10 HOF players???:shrug:
    2nd....A lot lot of those players you just named did not play a quarter of Ben's career.
    Bettis(2 years), Santonio (4 years),and Bell(5 years).
    See making Me stick up for one over the other.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Freaking Winner

• Like Like x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He gets attention by pissing people off, which is really his only talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. To be fair, kickers weren't nearly as good then as they are now, but Roethlisberger had far better kickers through most of his career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But how does that generate revenue

I turn him off when I hear him

I’m also old and grumpy and probably not the marketing demographic

He got ostracized to some radio station I can’t listen to but unfortunately now he is popping up on the DVE morning show which I like

And I still turn it off

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm far from a marketing expert, but shock jocks do generate attention. That generates revenue. That's my best guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Holy molly

You answered that quickly

:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bradshaw. I tend to favor QB’s that played in that era, much tougher game and he shined brightest when the stakes were the highest.

If there was a QB playing today though that could still excel in that era it would be Ben.

I give the edge to TB though.

N.O. and Stewart round it out as the next two.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Yes, and don't forget the Deebo almost 100 yrd TD in the SB against the Cardinals. Steelers D was good for most of Ben's career. He stunk up the joint in the SB against the Packers too. Can't forget about that. Love Ben but TB was the Chit!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm trying to be kind and not to harsh. I've seen a couple here get their feathers ruffled in another thread when I said what I said about Terry not being #1 in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Being a "seasoned" (old) guy, I had the privilege of watching Bradshaw's whole career. IMHO, TB IS the greatest Steeler QB, no contest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Oddly enough, I don't really remember much about watching Bradshaw live. I know I watched the last two Super Bowls he played in, but only have vague memories of them. I have re-watched them since, but I've seen only a tiny fraction of his career.

On the other hand, I saw all but one or two games of Roethlisberger's career. Maybe that makes me more aware of his flaws. I think they are comparable guys playing in different eras. Both had fantastic arm talent. Both were strong and tough. Both probably made more than their share of bonehead plays, at least relative to the truly elite quarterbacks of all time, but they are somewhere in the second tier anyway. Nobody should be discussing either of them as the greatest quarterback of all time, but both are probably somewhere in the top 20 and arguably right around the same place.

23. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Ben is hands down. We had many great defensive units in the 90’s and early 2000s that just couldn’t get the jump done. Ben comes in and that missing piece is suddenly there. Ranked up there all time in stats, sorry but he surpassed terry as a pure qb

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Who voted other is what I’m wondering lol. And why ?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ben had 418 TD passes and 211 interceptions compared to Bradshaw's 212 TD'S and 210 picks. Ben threw for 206 more TD'S than Bradshaw with only one more interception.
    Once Ben got the starting job his rookie season he kept it for 18 years. Bradshaw lost his job to at times Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam.

• Winner Winner x 1