1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I was just Thinking ...

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by S.T.D, Mar 23, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wonder what the ravens think about that Watson contract of 5 years 230 million guaranteed dollars.....with Lamar Jackson looking for a new contract right now. LoL.
    I bet they are like .....thanks browns.:lolol:

2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    every receiver is thinking the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If I am the Ravens... I would be sweating bullets right now. They only have a little over $10 Million in cap space for 2022 alone and that is not including extending Hollywood Brown either who is also due money as well. 2023 paints a much better picture as the Ravens Salary Cap is at least a little over $80 Million total but there is also the facet of signing J.K. Dobbins. Bear in mind this is also not accounting for the fact that Lamar likely will have to be taken into account in 2023 anyways as it is not financially possible for the Ravens to allocate his contract barring some extreme moves.

Remember that Watson's $230 Million is fully guaranteed. I repeat... fully guaranteed. Why is that important?! Compared to Patrick Mahomes contact, which is essentially half a billion dollars, those figures are incentives.. not fully included to the player. For that matter, if a contract states guaranteed.. that often means injury only. Fully is literally as implies; all of that goes to the player and not a single cent less.

In short?! As @S.T.D directly and indirectly stated, thank the Browns for the Watson contract. The NFL is going to change in a big way... and not just QBs either. Look at WR's; record breaking deals left and right. $10 says Diontae is next up at bat.... and sadly.. I cannot blame him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Thank Jimmy Haslam for being just a complete a**hole. The fact that so many owners are perfectly ok throwing around this kind of money that they could easily go bust on just shows how disgustingly rich they are. We as fans unfortunately share some of the blame for enabling professional sports to get so lucrative and out of hand.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What is more damning is that the Haslam's were not present at Deshaun's introductory press conference; the term "press conference" being used lightly here. Did not feel like a press conference of joyous occasion to me; a dark, dreary somber of discussion based off of grief and guilt being a more accurate description.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not know the exact wording, but is there not also a difference in how the guaranteed money is due? For instance some, though guaranteed is not necessarily paid out right away, but in the way the contract is written requires a huge amount of that to be put in escrow. Not every NFL "billionaire" has the same cash reserves. While the CAP will still determine a measure of parity, the owners that have that ready cash certainly have a distinct advantage in signing players

• Like Like x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Knew I smelled something burning

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

There is a difference overall. For guaranteed money alone, that factor is based on aspects such as skill (how a players performances coincides with their contractual setup), cap (cap casualty as you would refer) or injury. Now, let us say if the player is cut because of skill or cap based reasonings but that player's guarantees are tied into the injury aspects of being guaranteed. Well.. that money that was guaranteed to him does not get payed out due in part to his release being non injury related. Now, let us say if a player has a skill based guarantee but is released due to medical reasons. Same aspect applies here; that player does not receive the guaranteed money as his release had nothing to do with his skill proportionate to his contract but instead an injury.

Fully guaranteed is something different all together. No matter what the case is, a player that has a portion of that contract that states "fully guaranteed" receives all of that money that is listed within the writings of that deal; finite aspects be damned. This was often the case for QBs, EDGE, LT's and Corners for much of the NFL's Lifespan under the Salary Cap. Now, WR's, Safeties (not there yet but I believe either Minkah or Derwin will be the first), TE's and even IOL now seek that added benefit of financial security. There is also the aspect that not many are paying attention to in how the cap is going up. The more the cap increases... the more demand for financial compensation a player shall have.

The biggest issue now however is Deshaun's contract alone; $230 Million... all of it fully guaranteed. That is a game changer.. for two reasons...

1.) Owners are now basically placed in the crosshairs of giving not just QB's fully guaranteed contracts but also other positions. Likely will not see deals done the same level that Deshaun has for a Defensive Player for at least the next two to three years. More info of this can be found here.

2.) How much longer will it take until we see the NFL's first QB with $300 Million in fully guaranteed money?! My bet is not too far off now; Kyler Murray or Joe Burrow being among the first to do it. Lamar Jackson has a case that Deshaun Watson does not; unanimous League MVP with three straight playoff appearances but the previous two playoff trips have been less than desirable.

In short?! Big market teams win while small market teams lose.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    MLB here we come.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. They better nip this in the A$$ fast.
    I heard today a lot of the owners are not happy about this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I doubt the NFL is headed toward the MLB. MLB does not have a Salary Cap and Revenue Sharing is not an official Cap. I will say this though. The NFL is becoming more and more like the NBA where the star players dictate their terms or they force their ways out. That is where my final statement has its merits there; this or a small market team better be as established like the Steelers.

Thank the likes of Le'Veon Bell for this. He oh most definitely was not the very first player to hold out. However, the way in which he did so has not only emboldened players since 2018 but has also yielded big dividends for the players that cash in. Jalen Ramsey is the current and best example here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well We dang sure don't want the NFL like the NBA either.
    Am I just dreaming, or wasn't there some reports today that the owners are upset by that Watson contract???

14. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I smell an owner's collusion coming to correct the direction of guaranteed contracts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti bemoaned the Browns’ blockbuster $230 million Deshaun Watson contract, which is fully guaranteed, and was presumably thinking about how it will affect his own negotiations with star quarterback Lamar Jackson.

“I don’t know that he should’ve been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract,” Bisciotti said of Watson on Tuesday at the NFL owners’ meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. “To me, that’s something that is groundbreaking, and it’ll make negotiations harder with others.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Every owner who thought they were going to extend a contract just put the brakes on

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hahaha. Exactly why I made this thread. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1