1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking of Teams on Free Agency moves

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelReal, Mar 23, 2022.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I’m actually starting to be convinced otherwise. I see the Steelers being a legit threat this year in the AFC with Mitchell going up against Allen Mahomes Burrow Wilson…… Stairway to 7!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    LOL

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m taking this as sarcasm, but if we stay healthy we have a puncher’s chance. Look at the Bengals’ playoff road last year. Oakland at home, then on the road against probably the worst QB in the playoffs. They didn’t face a true top tier QB until the AFCCG. Meanwhile the teams with the two best QBs had to duel it out in an epic game that probably drained the Chiefs a bit. Part of being successful in a playoff run is the draw that you get. We’re a lower probability contender, but not a zero probability contender.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

he is holding clevelands. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I know. I think Vegas had lamar jackson getting hurt. I wonder what other injuries odds they have out now.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For the people blowing Vegas, bet your life savings on their odds then. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That was last yr. This year's afc is different.

8. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The Steelers have done well this offseason. The big issue for them is they're at the bottom of the division in terms of proven-QB play, but I'm actually fine with them taking a gamble on Trubisky. Might as well swing for the fences and hope he fulfills his potential, rather than spend draft capital and extra cap room on a more proven, but limited option like Garoppolo.

Until they fix the QB issue I don't think they'll be a true SB contender, but they're trending in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i don't think the trubisky move alone was the catalyst for trending towards the SB, but the fixing the O-Line to get najee feeding the animal. trubisky gives us a guy that won't have to just stand there and take a beating while defense force him to throw within 2 seconds on passing downs. one should help the other make the offense run smoother and give DC's something else to have to gameplan against. ben made their jobs pretty easy. he made them pay at times but in the long run they knew what was coming and we couldn't change that with our line of last year. or qb. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would say I am. LoL. I believe that makes 3 years in a row Vegas has picked us either 3rd, or last. Yet so far 2nd has been the worst, and We've made the playoffs every time...So....:shrug:
    Make of that what You will.

• Like Like x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will repeat this once again . If they can move up to 10 for a ILB (Bush) they definitely can move up next year for a Qb.
    No???

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, moving up usually just requires draft picks, trying to recall any that involved players. All Bush took was swapping firsts and a 2nd and 3rd.

Moving up to #2 for Detroits pick would cost a heck of a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think most people who have us going after a top QB next year are also assuming that we will be starting with a top 10 Draft pick in 2023 because of a lousy 2022 season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Free Agent moves are like draft picks, I can't really analyze till after the season ends.
    Did they contribute? etc.....
    Sure, they played well with the former teams, do they fit here? (Square peg/round hole)

Off the cuff, did they address some needs? Yes.
    Did they take some pressure off the draft? Yes.
    Did they backfill post draft? Incomplete at the moment. As teams draft, there will be players that lose their jobs that could help.

I don't expect the Steelers to be 17-0 with the additions/subtractions.
    I do expect to see them more competitive.
    QB is the big question mark.

Within our division: (It is early)
    Bengals are better and made some moves to try to improve.
    Baltimore is a wild card in that Defenses now know how to play that QB.
    Steelers could challenge either if the QB play is good and everything else plays out as expected.
    Browns.. Even with Watson, I dunno. They could come roaring out of the gate, or they could tank.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    why are you so concerned about the Browns? They will play part of this year without Watson since he will face a suspension. Miami? Are you kidding me? C'mon man buck up. The Browns are going to be paying for this deal for a long time. The Steelers made improvement in their team. Good O line pick ups and good linebacker. We will see what Trubisky brings to the table but if it's nothing then his deal didn't screw us for years down the road. Grab some Captain spiced rum and relax!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This.

We can reflect on the moves but making predictions at this point is questionable. FA signings are often as unpredictable as draft picks in terms of working out well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm still waiting for the MMMC (MarvelousMitchManCrush) era to commence. :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. DuckSux

DuckSux Active Member

Dec 22, 2019
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...her-charge-cleveland-browns-qb-deshaun-watson

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
  20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    You sort of get to the challenge of the AFC though. The Steelers may be able to win a playoff game, maybe two, with inferior play at the most important position, but to do so 3 games in a row is very remote possibility.

We don't know who really is and isn't better than Trubisky in the AFC right now, but if Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence show improvement in their second year, we might actually have the second worse QB in the conference. OK, so maybe Mac Jones regresses and Tua shows nothing, but the probability of every new QB in the conference and every young QB falling flat on their face is zero. Some are going to pan out and some are not. The chances of Trubisky being good is a crapshoot also. Put it all together and the math is not in our favor.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Even if Lamar was healthy Baltimore wasn't as good as Buffalo, Kansas City, or Cincinnati.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    they were up multiple games on cinch before he got hurt. There’s a reason they are the favorite to win the afc north barring injury

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lamar wasn't good before his injury last season :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They were leading the division. All that matters.

25. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I'll admit I got a good feeling about the additions made so far. If they can draft well this could turn out decent for the steelers. Can't remember the last time they were this aggressive in free agency. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1