1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 88Unstoppable82, Mar 21, 2022.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    2013- torn acl
    2014- broken finger
    2015- torn acl
    2016- seperated shoulder.

2. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I also wonder about the injury history. It also seems that everyone forgets he was suspended in college, allegedly due to drug issues.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is very instructive in demonstrating what a poor job statistics do in measuring the play of a defensive back. Are you one of those people who thinks Trevon Diggs is headed to the hall of fame?

• Like Like x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really aren't helping your cause there.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    what does diggs have to do with this conversation? there you go changing the fact's to make yourself look right somehow. you are good at doing this my friend. you really don't have to do that either, you are pretty knowledgeable about the game but you seem to always revert back to this tactic. not sure why. :cool:

7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Cooper kupp does not force defenses to play two shell coverage against him because of his speed. Teams literally changed their entire defenses schemes when playing Kansas city just to try to stop him.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You are comical dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This is a fact and it's clear you don't know football. Tyreek hill is the fastest player in the NFL by far. You have to on every play account for his speed and have someone over the top.

No one in the nfl could've done this but tyreek.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, there has never been a speedy receiver that can take the top off of a defense. :rolleyes:

If you think Hill makes more of an impact than Kupp on a game, you are the one that doesn’t know jack **** about football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    More than that, there’s the stuff that shows up on tape that reveals Hill’s value to the Chiefs beyond boilerplate stats. Last season, per Sports Info Solutions, Patrick Mahomes faced by fa the most dropbacks against two-deep coverage (389; Matthew Stafford was second with 311), and a primary reason is that if you present a single-high look to a receiver of Hill’s explosive tendencies all over the field, you are just begging for a house call. Hill irrevocably alters the geometry of his team’s passing game, and that’s a rare trait in any era. In this era, it’s more valuable than ever.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/tyreek-hill-trade-dolphins-chiefs/

You don't know what you're talking about lmao.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re ridiculous with you man crushes, prevents you from having logical debates. I don’t care what coverages they use on him. No one could stop Kupp, no one. 2,000 yards and everyone knew he was getting the ball. He single handily won the SB, OBJ went down and they still couldn’t stop Kupp.

You don’t think defenses would have liked to stop him? They stop Hill, cant stop Kupp. Go learn something and come back, you are so far out of your depth with everyone you debate here. It’s embarrassing really.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My problem with the stat is if it talks tackles ...that doesn't say ....that tackle should have been made 5 - 10 yards earlier, but you were...1. In the wrong spot...2. Took a bad angle. 3. Guy ran into you. 4. You took the original guy that was going 2 make the tackle out of the play because of 1- 3 on this list.
    5. Minkah is back there saving Your A$$, slowing down the guy for you,, and redirecting plays.

14. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    KC was figured out, play 2 high they wont commit to the run, keep as many in coverage deep don't give up the big play and stay in the game. Hill has the speed for sure but to say Kupp doesn't change the defensive game plan is flabbergasting. If someone had the time and I'm sure its somewhere and I am not trying to find it but I would say off the top of my head that Kupp drew way more double teams, bracket coverage than Hill. Hill was just 1 part of that offense that was no where near as potent as in 21, Kelce makes that offense move, Kupp was the offense in LA even with the mouths to feed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    Diggs lead the league in picks, but also in yards allowed. If teams were afraid of him or he was such a talent, he wouldn’t have had that many opportunities. Diggs is very relevant to the conversation because he demonstrates how stats don’t tell the whole story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    diggs is a cornerback. we are talking about a strong safety. quite the different skillset required. different responsibilities. no he is not relevant to the conversation unless you feel just any defensive back will do for any position on the field. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Copper kupp is a beast. Not saying he sint great he balled. He's not the single reason they won the sb lmao. They had a defense who held the Bengals to 50 yards in the 2nd half minus the fluke ramsey td. It was a team win. And actually when obj went down their offense looked bas with the exception of the last drive. That's where kupp got majority of his stats.

And did you see tyreek stats this yr? He wasn't stopped.

Lmao I've rarely talked aviut tyreek on this board. Pointing out his impact isn't having a man crush.

Completely ignored the numbers I sent you

18. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    That’s fair. But the point is that stats aren’t the end all be all for any position. Jameis Winston lead the league in yards or TDs, no one is mentioning him in elite QB discussions. Adam Dunn hit monster home runs, I don’t recall him being involved in any best hitter talks. I answered the most emails on my team this morning, but I’m an average employee. Numbers don’t tell the whole story in any situation, but people love to use them when they benefit they’re argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Hill had 4 games with over 100 yds. He had 197 vs Cle and 186 vs Phi, it was an avg year for him I'd say. Kupp had 13 over 100. Also had games of 95,96,95,92,96. That's 1 game with 5 catches 64 yds. I would say that Tyreek was actually contained, plus I had him in fantasy and he was nothing special like 21 or Kupp was this year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya, Because production means NOTHING! You're always obsessed with the" eye candy "...You probably think guys like Bob Hayes, Mike Wallace, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, DRI ARCHER we're the greatest players ever...and guys like Jack Ham, Cooper Kupp, Hines Ward,TOM BRADY, Wes Welker sucked!

You don't know squat about Football...You just like shiny gadgets

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Isn't like tyreek Hill isn't productive. He's been pro bowl and all pro multiple times.

Guess they just know about shiny gadgets when they said this

More than that, there’s the stuff that shows up on tape that reveals Hill’s value to the Chiefs beyond boilerplate stats. Last season, per Sports Info Solutions, Patrick Mahomes faced by fa the most dropbacks against two-deep coverage (389; Matthew Stafford was second with 311), and a primary reason is that if you present a single-high look to a receiver of Hill’s explosive tendencies all over the field, you are just begging for a house call. Hill irrevocably alters the geometry of his team’s passing game, and that’s a rare trait in any era. In this era, it’s more valuable than ever.
    https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/tyreek-hill-trade-dolphins-chiefs/

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Idk how a guy with 111, 1239, and 9 was contained. The year before he only had 1276 yards with 87 catches. He did have 15 tds though. Kupp had a better year. Kupp probably had the greatest yr ever. No one is disputing that.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not changing the facts at all. It was a reference to people who thought Diggs was a great cover corner because he intercepted a bunch of passes last season. Of course, they ignored the fact that he was consistently getting torched or they simply didn't know he was getting beat far too often. Part of why he got so many interceptions was that he was being targeted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m talking about on offense, when you are basically the only WR and the Bengals still couldn’t stop him, that should tell you something. You made the claim that no one impacts the game like Hill, that is patently false.

Hill had like 1200 yards this year to Kupp almost 2,000 and you are trying to tell me he impacts the game more because of the coverages they use? Give me a break. You’re just being argumentative, a normal person would have said oops, you are right, forgot about Kupp but not you, you double down with nonsense.

Hill can take over a game and have a massive day but he disappears too. Kupp was already a very good receiver and then when he got a franchise QB he exploded.

I’d take Kupp any day over Hill.

• Like Like x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    you can have Kupp. And that’s because some people unlike you actually watch the game and study film. Just like great as the season kupp had, devante adams is still widely regarded as the best wr in the game. Because it isn’t just about numbers. It’s about ability, impact, etc…

it’s not all about what you think it is. That’s why even though TJ watt won dpoy and put up the best numbers, Aaron Donald is widedly regarded as the best defensive player in the nfl. Because it’s more than just stats.

and the article I gave you clearly articulated why the impact of hill goes far BEYOND NUMBERS. But yeah some rando on this board knows best because he saw he put up the best numbers lol. And kupp for the most part doesn’t even play outside. He’s primarily a slot wr. He makes most of his plays between the numbers. He and tyreek are two different wrs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1