1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Baker Mayfield a Steeler?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Jarvis Landry too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    According this board, Steelers are gonna roll with 6 QBs.... Trubisky, Willis, Mayfield, Rudolph, Haskins and Dobbs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Seven. You forgot Rivers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Actually... was gonna say Ben as #7, out-of-retirement emergency QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Due to last season's battle with injuries I think Baker Mayfield could be quite a bit better than the guy we saw last year. But the caveat with him is that he may have to be "the guy" for any team he goes to in order to become the leader a QB is supposed to be.

6. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I do like Mayfield. But I really like to see what trubisky can do. He played under Nagy.

If we got Mayfield. Than Rudolph is gone and we won't be going after a QB for several years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I was actually talking about Roland Rivers who was on the PS or in camp last year (or both, can’t remember which).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I feel like Baker's success is too heavily reliant on a strong run game and play action pass. His best throws almost always seem to come off a play action rollout. The Browns have had such a strong line and running game, that the threat of the run has helped Baker tremendously. He seems much less effective standing in the pocket or in obvious passing situations, erratic even. I've never really been sold on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Unfortunately those same knocks also apply to Trubisky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wow, I think you just described the offense that Canada is hoping to run this year in Pittsburgh.

Strong running game, play action passes, with your QB rolling out and not staying in the pocket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Underrated qb, was playing with frequent shoulder dislocations last season. Bring him in, it would be bitter sweet seeing him shred the browns as a steeler.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed....So no need 2 add another.

13. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    No. No, no. Nopity, nope, nope. No. No, no, no. Nooooooooo. No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh no the terrible rumor is gaining press hype.

15. steelcityfanatic

steelcityfanatic Active Member

Mar 17, 2022
    We absolutely should bring in Baker bc he would be an instant upgrade over what we have on the roster currently. He is a lot better than you guys are giving him credit for. Recency bias is clouding your judgement. Even Brady would look bad playing with a bad shoulder. And all the talk about he isn't a leader or he's too much drama etc. is all made up. He is a passionate player who works hard and his teammates respect that. The Clowns are only getting rid of him bc they got Watson who is a top 3 QB.

I think it's funny to see other Steelers fans calling Watson a rapist etc. I think that's uncalled for especially considering we had Ben for the last several years. Don't throw stones from a glass house.

I will reserve judgement about Trubs but I think Rudolph is better and Haskins still has the highest ceiling of them all. But you can never have too many QB's and since we refused to trade for Watson for some reason I can't figure out. Baker is the next best option.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    To me if Baker is smart he keeps the Brown's 18 million and sits out to let himself heal up.

No reason to rush back into the NFL if the Brown's are paying you to stay home and recover. Then wait for a QB on a winning team to go down midseason for your return.

Mayfield underwent shoulder surgery in January for his non throwing shoulder.

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    And figure out a package with all of them on the field at the same time. "You won't know who we got a throwin' and who we got a catchin'".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are either a Sooner fan, or You haven't watched His whole career. Nobody would just go off of last year.
    I've said this so much Im:beathorse:, but I said when He was coming out he wasn't worth a 1st round, and nothing He's done 2 this point has made me change My mind.
    If You say ...Well He beat us in the playoffs....I say so we should get Tebow, and Blake B. also???:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I would put missing defensive starters (like the #1 CB), not having a Bye week that season, Browns rushing for 127, and being -5 in TO margin as the reasons for the Steelers loss. Mayfield contributed to the win, but he didn't have a great enough game to say he personally "beat" the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Again. Baker throughout his entire career (college and NFL) has won without class and lost like a petulant child. It is easy to confuse his Napoleon syndrome with passion. He's a chest puffer and a headcase, who is a marginal starter/back up in the NFL. If he was a leader and someone the team could rally around or feel comfortable building around he would already have a job elsewhere. No one wants him because he is so inconsistent. Inconsistent in play, emotion, persona, and attitude. You cant trust the future of your organization to a player like that at the QB position. He either has an awakening and changes his tune, or he is going to see himself out of the NFL entirely. No one wants a salty whiny back up QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mason on suicide watch if we get baker lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still don't understand why they didn't throw Baker into the Watson trade?

I am hearing that Cleveland thinks they can get a 1st round pick for Baker, so maybe they wouldn't give Baker up unless Houston took a 1st round pick off the table.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He played under John fox too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Who?