1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really liking this FA

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Mar 15, 2022.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just a heads up. As of Wednesday morning, with all those signings accounted for, we are currently 13.5 million under the cap.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's enough to sign a ILB, and a strong safety.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    who is Najee Davis? Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    it's called being tired as **** lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like what Steelers have done in FA so far. I feel like it would have been worth pursuing Bobby Wagner, but if not I am really hoping for D. Lloyd in the 1st. I seem to remember that the Honey Badgers had some big character issues coming out of college, but maybe they have been resolved in the NFL. BPA also sounds good for the draft if Lloyd is not there. Also RB, WR, QB, Edge, TE should not be the first pick.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This Free Agency is being brought to you by MCS. MCS has long known to allow NFL Teams to acquire more talent from Free Agency since its inception in 1993 and has often given quality to exceptional results. More over, teams that understand FA realize that said period is not just a prelude towards the NFL Draft but an extension of it as well.

MCS (More Cap Space); the World Wide Leader in improving Sports Teams. :drinks:

- This message has been brought to you by TheSteelersFans Writer AskQuestionsLater.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Safety does loom large and the draft isn't loaded with good one.
    I like the Notre Dame Safety until I saw him up close.. some of these TE's in the NFL will eat him alive if a team plays him at Safety.
    He's more of a tweener LB.

I would like to get JuJu re-signed.. I think he had an off year.
    But he's probably going to opt for large money and more security at QB.
    I dunno - it's kind of not the Steeler way.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hamilton??? No one is eating Hamilton alive. I would love to get him at #20 but he’ll likely be gone top 10.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Watch the vid on YouTube called Desmond Ridder vs Notre Dame. Hamilton didn’t look good at all when asked to play man coverage vs. slots or the Cinci TE. He was fine near the LOS, but was left behind in anything downfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I love Notre Dame and I liked Hamilton.
    He's not agile enough to keep up with the modern TE's in the NFL. And a speedy Wr/RB will beat him.
    I think he is used a little more like how Washington used Collins - a hybrid Safety/LB
    Oddly enough, he is on their wishlist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    However they do it the strong safety position needs an upgrade. Edmonds was another 1st round mistake.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think there’s far more the Hamilton’s game than Collins’ game though. There’s certainly very good film of Hamilton covering zones with the play in front of him. When the action is in front of him he shows instincts and ball skills. The question mark to me is whether he can handle a good receiving TE or a slot receiver downfield in man coverage. I haven’t watched enough of him doing that to say that it’s impossible, but I have watched him struggle with it in an admittedly small sample, and his surprisingly sluggish starts in the 40 at the combine match that film. I still think he’s a very good player if he’s used as a traditional safety or hybrid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think that is right on the mark.
    He's got great ball skills and navigates through traffic with good angles and he has the size to be a "WILL" in defensive schemas.
    Collins was a disappointment, really good guy and gives 101% but just isn't the ball player I thought.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That was his worse game. He can do it all, you run to the podium if he is there at #20.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, I agree there’s enough great film there that you run to the podium if he’s there at #20. My green font joke in a couple of threads is that we need to spread the word that he’s not worth a top 19 pick. If we get him we just have to use him in a way that minimizes unfavorable matchups.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    That's exactly right and well said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You're not alone. The other night I was talking about mw and said Wallace. Lol

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    We’re going to regret not outbidding the Jags for Kirk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    What a contract. :facepalm:

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    just like we put vince williams on the other teams best receiver? i don't have confidence that we can keep him out of mismatches. i'm still liking this guy better.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...pect-profile-nick-cross-s-maryland/ar-AAV0Bkh

:smiley1::cool:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i wasn't comparing him to vince blast. i was referring to what elvis said about the steelers having to use him in a way that minimizes unfavorable matchups. we haven't been good at doing that. exhibit A is having vince on other teams number 1 receivers. :cool:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know but I’m saying if that happens, Hamilton is more equipped to handle it.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well yes but just the thought that our staff had of thinking that wouldn't be a mismatch. it's not like it didn't keep happening either. two years straight they did it. we just changed the name of vince williams to robert spillane or joe schobert. them trying to keep one player out of mismatches doesn't make me comfortable since they don't show it. i'd much rather we have a guy we don't have to do that for. especially at the #20 pick. :cool: