1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers didn't invest a first-round pick in Trubisky. It is silly to think they will stick with him as long as the Giants have stuck with Jones or the Browns with Mayfield. Dalton is a different matter entirely because that's the Bengals. They may be great now, but they have a long history of settling for as little as possible so they can stay near the league salary floor.

You made the kind of reach that will dislocate your shoulder, but damn if you aren't going to go down with the ship on that big of foolishness.

The funny part is how you contract yourself. On the one hand, you try to make it as if Trubisky will devastate the franchise for 5-to-10 years, which makes no sense at all. Then you also insist that it is a bad thing that the Steelers can get out of his contract relatively unscathed in a short period of time. It isn't. It is Colbert showing that he's still got it. He got a guy who can be a viable bridge to a draft pick, who might have better upside than that, but also gave the team an out in case he doesn't work out.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good insight, thanks for this.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Thank you! This was a great breakdown.

Me and several here are ok with him, due to his cheap contract. And if he works out, he gets paid better.

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Again.... im not saying he is going to suck.... im saying he is going to be good enough to stick around 5 to 10 years..... isn't that what we are all hoping for?

As to the first round picks.. I think sir if you are not paying attention to my point. They did not spend a first round pick on Trib.... but they will spend one on a QB at some point. And they will give him 3 to 5 years... so I'm saying Trubisky is good enough to last 5 years... and in the 5 years the Steelers draft a 1st round QB.... and that QB is Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Baker Mayfield... insert 90% of all QBs drafted the last 20 years....... the next thing you know its a decade later

I really don't see why this is so hard to understand. The odds are better that it does happen, than it is the Steelers grab another superstar.

Those guys are rare

so let me ask you all this... since I'm crazy for referring to the entire history of the NFL

what are your thoughts on Trubisky? I'm saying he is pretty good.

What are you saying?

HACK

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are crazy for twisting yourself into a rhetorical pretzel and insisting that you have the support of the entire history of the NFL for your foolishness.

Again, you are just assuming the Steelers are going to pick a crappy quarterback, and somehow that is going to be because they have Trubisky. Seriously, the argument you are attempting to sell here makes no sense. Instead of trying to double down, why not pop your shoulder back in the socket, admit the claim that he could screw up the franchise for 5-to-10 years doesn't hold up, and move on.

I think Trubisky works as a bridge to the next franchise quarterback. There is a small chance that he puts all the pieces together and becomes that guy. That is the only way his signing gets in the way of the Steelers drafting their next franchise quarterback, if he fills that role himself. I'm not expecting it, but it's one of the many reasons this deal makes sense for the Steelers.

I see three possible outcomes.

1. He is a bridge guy who only lasts the life of the contract before moving out of the way for the next franchise quarterback.

2. He is average but hangs around longer because it takes longer to find the next franchise guy.

3. He suddenly becomes something resembling what the Bears though they were getting when they drafted him and the Steelers don't need their next franchise guy.

In none of those scenarios does Trubisky hurt the franchise going forward.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    we're just fighting over bridge QB's. (although I think Brissett is more dynamic than Trubisky but, hey, if you got lemons make lemonade)
    It's about next year's draft...
    that what I think until I am proven otherwise

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, can I interpret this to mean that you see Trubisky as being a Jimmy Garappalo type of QB? A guy who gets you close, but no cigar? While I would prefer a true franchise QB, you can’t win if you don’t play. If you’re not paying a QB 40-50 million you can theoretically build a somewhat better roster around the QB. Using Jimmy G. as an example, he got the 49ers to the SB once, and to the NFCCG a couple of years later with a system that fit him and a killer roster around him. I didn’t want Jimmy G. here because I expect that he will consume a larger share of cap dollars immediately than Trubisky (plus draft pick compensation). Still, if we can have that “almost there” guy with a system that fits his play, and a strong roster, we have a chance. Goff in LA is another example. In either of those cases, a play here or there and they win the SB. I’ll take that over what we’ve been though the past decade with a true franchise QB.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i could see this as a bridge between colbert and tomlin just as much. if not we would have signed him for longer then two years. two styles butting heads if mason is kept around as well. he and trubisky's style are very similar to me. i think this is more of a colbert vision as he goes out. not necessarily his vision of the future but more in the style of qb that he wanted then the running style i think MT envisions. tomlin will then soon have his guy drafted and we can then transfer to his offensive vision for the team. i think they have been quietly butting heads over this for a few years. ben just got in the way. art2 loved ben. colbert was a small part of ben but claimed him as his own. i don't think MT was as enamored with him as much in these later years but went along. now this is colberts send off in his fashion of qb and then MT will get his down the road. maybe it will still be willis. maybe thats why haskins is kept around and why rudolph is kept around. the proof of each style will come out in preseason. the other guy heads down the road.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/k...g-department-he-wants-to-be-a-big-part-of-it/

i think this article says a lot of what i have been talking about and got flamed for in another thread. the GM hire and power change over direction. QB will be part of the out going and incoming process or vision between the two. that is the bridge we are seeing. JMHO. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    I’m taking a wait and see posture. Obviously, he’s not not a top tier guy at the moment but we could have done a lot worse.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they have a very good relationship and in sync with one another. I have never seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Also, Colbert wanted to move on from Ben, that was all Art keeping him here.

Think you guys are to wrapped up in the whole mobile/running definition aspect of this. Thats more a offensive philosophy, if they want to run Trubisky a lot, he’s athletic enough to be a “running” QB, just depends how much they ask him to.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey, that kinda language ain't allowed around here!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What I don't understand is Rudolph started 11 games and fans say they've seen enough. Mitchell Trubisky gets signed having two seasons of being a starter and fans argue he wasn't given a fair shot in Chicago. :hmm::shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i'm not disputing any of this. i am also not saying there is any kind of rift between them, just a different vision of what they want or where they want to go with a team dynamic. the goal remains the same win a super bowl. trubisky would have been signed to a lot longer contract if that was THE guy they wanted to lead them for years to come. he is more of the pocket type passer that can run if needed similar to mason rudolph. pretty good accuracy as well. i just think MT wants a lamar style qb and will get one at some point. trubisky was more of a safe pick. i think tomlin will get more say so and won't have to clear it with colbert going forward. two years for trubisky and one year for mason. if tomlin gets his love of willis in this draft the young man will sit this year with possibly some situational play to get his feet wet. year two will be trubiskys final year, mason gone and the kid will start to move towards tomlins goal of him as the starter. if he falls to 20, i have little doubt he will be the pick. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky has been a little better as a passer and he is far more mobile. I just mentioned this on another thread. Rudolph's teammates clearly have no faith in him. None of them have given him any support. That is telling.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Something I've been saying for awhile.
    So I agree.

16. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I think it's #2. Does it hurt the franchise? Define hurt. I think he pays well enough to keep the job at least 5 years. That's been my argument... making a wrong choice can set you back 5 years... you sure with me that its an option but call me crazy for saying its the option zi see happening

I have listed every qb drafted for 18 years and I'm crazy for saying they might get it wrong? Its literally a lottery ticket and you are telling me I'm crazy for even suggesting they won't win the megaball when they decide to play... but you are right The Steeles never miss on their first round guys....

2021 (to early to tell)
    1 Trevor Lawrence
    1 Zach Wilson
    1 Trey Lance
    1 Justin Fields
    1 Mac Jones
    2 Kyle Trask
    3 Kellen Mond
    3 Davis Mills
    4 Ian Book
    6 Sam Ehlinger

2020 (to early to tell)
    1 Joe Burrow
    1 Tua Tagovailoa
    1 Justin Herbert
    1 Jordan Love
    2 Jalen Hurts

1 Kyler Murray
    1 Daniel Jones
    1 Dwayne Haskins (we got him and half the people hate him)
    2 Drew Lock
    3 Will Grier
    6 Gardner Minshew

1 Baker Mayfield
    1 Sam Darnold
    1 Josh Allen (was my fav prospect since Ben)
    1 Josh Rosen
    1 Lamar Jackson
    3 Mason Rudolph (we got him)

1 Mitchell Trubisky
    1 Patrick Mahomes
    1 Deshaun Watson
    2 DeShone Kizer
    3 Davis Webb
    3 C.J. Beathard
    4 Joshua Dobbs (Again ours)

1 Jared Goff
    1 Carson Wentz (would be #4 on my Qb crush list coming out)
    1 Paxton Lynch
    2 Christian Hackenberg
    3 Jacoby Brissett
    3 Cody Kessler
    4 Connor Cook
    4 Dak Prescott

1 Jameis Winston
    1 Marcus Mariota
    3 Garrett Grayson
    3 Sean Mannion
    4 Bryce Petty
    5 Brett Hundley
    7 Trevor Siemian

1 Blake Bortles
    1 Johnny Manziel
    1 Teddy Bridgewater
    2 Derek Carr
    2 Jimmy Garoppolo
    5 A.J. McCarron
    6 Zach Mettenberger

1 EJ Manuel
    2 Geno Smith
    3 Mike Glennon
    4 Matt Barkley
    4 Ryan Nassib
    4 Tyler Wilson
    4 Landry Jones (We hate him)

1 Andrew Luck
    1 Robert Griffin
    1 Ryan Tannehill
    1 Brandon Weeden
    2 Brock Osweiler
    3 Russell Wilson
    3 Nick Foles
    4 Kirk Cousins

Supplemental draft Terrelle Pryor
    1 Cam Newton
    1 Jake Locker
    1 Blaine Gabbert
    1 Christian Ponder
    2 Andy Dalton
    2 Colin Kaepernick
    3 Ryan Mallett
    6 Tyrod Taylor

1 Sam Bradford
    1 Tim Tebow
    2 Jimmy Clausen
    3 Colt McCoy

1 Matthew Stafford
    1 Mark Sanchez
    1 Josh Freeman
    2 Pat White

1 Matt Ryan
    1 Joe Flacco
    2 Brian Brohm
    2 Chad Henne
    3 Kevin O'Connell
    5 Dennis Dixon (Was here)
    5 Josh Johnson

1 JaMarcus Russell
    1 Brady Quinn
    2 Kevin Kolb
    2 John Beck
    2 Drew Stanton
    3 Trent Edwards
    5 Troy Smith
    6 Jordan Palmer
    7 Tyler Thigpen

1 Vince Young
    1 Matt Leinart
    1 Jay Cutler
    2 Kellen Clemens
    2 Tarvaris Jackson
    3 Charlie Whitehurst
    3 Brodie Croyle
    5 Omar Jacobs (we tried)
    6 Bruce Gradkowski (tried him too)

1 Alex Smith
    1 Aaron Rodgers
    1 Jason Campbell
    3 Charlie Frye
    3 Andrew Walter
    3 David Greene
    4 Kyle Orton
    5 Dan Orlovsky
    6 Derek Anderson
    7 Matt Cassel
    7 Ryan Fitzpatrick

1 Eli Manning
    1 Philip Rivers
    1 Ben Roethlisberger (IS A GOAT)
    1 J.P. Losman
    3 Matt Schaub

What did you get? 10 guys...maybe 15 if you really tried....over 17 drafts since Eli,Rivers,and Ben...and maybe 15 guys (not counting the to new to tell kids)

Even if you count the new kids and are just hoping they are great...20? Good to Great QBs in a league of 32 over 18 years? 15 to 20 guys out of 130 .. that's 11 to 15%

It ain't easy folks.. heck the Browns have had 31 qbs since 1999.. the Steelers had 2..... oh I can hear it now.. yeah that's the Browns.. how about the Broncos? Since Elway left in 1998 they have had 12 in 23 years...Peyton and now they got Russ (guy 13)

Look..I hope you are right.. and I'm wrong. I hope when they decide to draft a guy he is the next Tom Brady....I also hope I win the lottery every week.

@steel elvis

You literally just made the argument I made all offseason.... got to be in the playoffs to win in the playoffs.. and I was blasted for cheeeing on mediocrity... that only Lombardis count, not winning games.

I myself hope Trubisky can be Jimmy G. 5 years..2 NFC championship games..1 SB loss. 33-14 record. 4-2 playoffs..... is he a Franchise QB? San Fran doesn't think so, I can only assume it's availability... the 2 years he played the whole season they made it to the championship game.

But I don't know if he is...I think he is more Andy Dalton....I think he is Tony Romo.. that's not bad. But it's also not great... but maybe he is Joe Flacco... that will still get you a ring.....I think he is going to be GOOD ENOUGH... if he is gone in 1 or 2 years that means Tomlin/colbert got it wrong...bargain or not... which has been my point this entire time.. you get it wrong you you waste years..maybe 5 to 10 unless you hit the lottery

I'm done with this debate .... think whatever makes you warm and duzzy inside.. we will see what happens the next 5 years

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you are wrong for insisting that the Trubisky signing is in any way connected to them possibly getting it wrong. You made a ridiculous point and now you are desperately throwing crap at the wall in the hopes that it will stick rather than admit your claim simply doesn't hold up.

You are wrong. Regardless of what Trubisky does, you are wrong.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why? He is done with the thread, so of course he won't go back on his word and respond in any way.

Oh wait. He already did.:lolol:

20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Moats thoughts on it

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    YEAH?
    nevrmind.

22. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Another Moats take comparing to Jimmy G

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    HELLO.
    Big difference between the organizations.
    We're comparing Bears to Steelers here.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I can’t take Moats serious there when he is saying he doesn’t even know if Trubisky is better than Rudolph. Ok, Moats :rolleyes:

His answer about covering up for a bad OC is also :bscow:

Same problem would exist for whoever played QB, Watson would perform better but not enough if Canada is a dud.

25. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I get what he means about Trubisky vs.Mason/Haskins... i think it's a competition

HACK