1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    At least if we’re going to chase a free agent quarterback get a good one. Let’s roll the dice and see how it goes!

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Two-year contracts don’t set franchises back five years.

I may feel differently if the Browns get Watson, but I don’t think he was ever really an option for the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That is a fair contract amount for Mitch Trubisky given that he is the presumed starter, it will give them the flexibility to address other areas, maybe bring Juju back for example.

Canada can have no excuses now, he has a young mobile QB with starting experience in the NFL. I do believe that his hands were tied with Ben last year in terms of the offence he wanted to run. We had better see a better product on offence next season

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not at all. What was done for 2 years/$14 million was get a capable QB in place for now. A rookie drafted in 2022 will not be ready to start next season, and a rookie drafted in 2023 may not be ready until 2024. This wasn’t a move that in any way prevents drafting and developing a QB. If Trubisky shows growth and starts to realize his potential, great. Otherwise this was not a case of pushing all of our chips into the center of the table for a QB that was signed to a $7 million/year contract with no commitment of draft picks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d be fine with Zion Johnson as the pick at #20. An interior lineman with clear all pro potential rarely fails to live up to his draft status that late in the 1st round. However unless we still have something up our sleeve in free agency, we’re going to need a guy at outside corner who has day 1 starter potential. This draft is rich in corners, but I expect several to be taken between our 1st and 2nd picks. My position of choice in the 1st is corner, and right now McCreary is my guy at #20.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Like others, I've been on record saying I wanted them to sign Trubisky.

It alleviates pressure on the draft and he is an upgrade on our current QB room.

He may even blossom here... maybe...

• Like Like x 1
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know the argument is the backup QB should always prepare as he is going to start because he is one snap away from starting anyway. However, our offense was not a plug and play for Ben's style of play. Mason received something like a 10pm call Saturday night for a 1:00 PM game. This timing hurt Mason, Canada, and the team overall. Ben's selfishness is well documented. Did he think he just had a cold or was he putting the screws to Mason. The following week it was still questionable if Ben was going to play, he had private meetings with Canada all week with no other QB in those Zoom meetings. That again bodes Ben's consummate team player attitude toward fellow QBs. Mason handled it with class and never once made an excuse.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Trubisky signing is a good move. The '22 QB draft class is the weakest in years. Steelers should wait until '23 when there are better prospects at QB in the draft. Steelers have too many holes in comparison to the division rivals. Bengals just upgraded their O-line with some good signings. Browns roster is already stacked... and Ravens will likely avoid the injury bug this year. Signing Trubisky allows the Steelers to draft big uglies in the trenches and maybe get a decent CB and ILB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    browns just added winovich. we added chuks and cole. are we doomed yet? :smiley1::cool:

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, the Chuks signing makes no sense. He's only half an RT, IMO. He can pass block, but can't run block worth a crap. I bet Najee cringed on that signing. I thought RT would be an area of upgrade along with Guard and maybe Center. Dan Moore is better than Chuks and he was a rookie last year. Moore should be fine.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree moore has upside. i liked that pick last year and the arrow should be pointing up for him. hopefully for chuks as well but..... not so in two years so far. that just seems like a lot of money for him. could it mean they are dumping haeg and banner? :cool:

12. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The argument that Trubisky is an upgrade because he had two full seasons as a starter doesn't hold water. There are many failed QBs who had two season as a starter. In terms of stats, Trubisky was not handcuffed and was expected to be the franchise QB in Chicago. Should we go after other failed two year starters as well,... Blake Bortles, Josh MCCown, Blaine Gabbert, Genos Smith, Nick Foles, etc.?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Here is why I say COULD set them back 5 to 10 years.

Everyone who is implying that I'm over reacting is saying if he becomes great we got a deal and if he sucks we cut him.

Myself...I see him as "Good enough"

He might throw for 4500 yards
    28 TD10 Int run for a few more scores..... make the pro bowl again.. win a playoff game.... I think all of that is possible.. everyone is happy we got our guy... he reaches some incentives which push his 2023 cap # north of 20 mill. The Steelers surely to lock him up long term... and get him at a bargain comparedv to all the rising QB numbers. Let's say v4 year extension at 25 mill a year.... then after year 2 he goes back to being "below the bar Trubisky" which is also possible because we have actually already saw him do it in Chicago.

In the draft the Steelers take whatever qb you like in either 22 or 23 in the first round. But as was stated above.. they not ready yet.. so they sit behind Trubiskyv until let's say 2026... then they start and we find out we drafted our Sam Darnold or Dany Jones.

Next thing you know its 2028 and the Steelers are getting their 3rd GUY to replace Ben

I know this is a bunch of what ifs.. but it's really not. It happens every year to every team until they get it right. I'm old enough to have watched Bradshaw then a bunch of guys that were good enough.... until Ben. I'm to old to watch 20 years like I did last time

In 2017 the Bears took Trubisky #2 overall. Mehomes went at 10 and Watson at 12

5 years later Mehomes and Watson are two of the highest paid guys in the league and Trubisky just was a back up who signed for 7 mill and Chicago just drafted question mark #2

In 2017 Chicago traded a first 2 thirds and a 4th. In 2021 they traded 2 first a fourth and a fifth

Grand total..6 years. 3 first rounders, 2 thirds, 2 forths and 5th. ..Just to get to Fields and hopeb you were right this time. 8 picks and 6 years and counting..

when you make the wrong moves the damage can easily snowball for 5 to 10 years

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You can’t really compare signing a street free agent for $7m a year to blowing the #2 overall pick in the draft though. The investments are so far apart it’s not even a discussion really.

If Trubisky isn’t good next year the front office and coaching staff will know it and will plan accordingly for 2023.

I get what you are saying in that they could be stuck in no man’s land if Mitch performs ok, they may be slow to pull the trigger on another QB but that’s a judgement call for the team to make and we can’t preempt that at this stage. If you see a chance to upgrade at QB you should always take it imo. Mitch is better than Mason imo and at this price I think the move is justifiable.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Good, the offense was too predictable with Ben, now we will probably see more roll outs and bootlegs.

16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lol. when I say he stinks I get HE IS AN UPGRADE... whet I say he can ball out. I get HOLD ON NOW FELLA WE CAN STILL GET BETTER

Itsb the Goldilocks syndrome.. everyone is great or everyone sucks. Only the guys I like are just right.

Like I said...I would not have done it, but I also think he can put together a nice career.

HACK

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Sideways move.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It baffles me how people can be optimistic about the upside of a bust (Mitch) in his 6th year while simultaneously turning their nose up at a Heisman finalist (Pickett).

Matt Nagy played quarterback in college and the Arena League. He was a quarterback coach and offensive coordinator under Andy Reid in the NFL. Alex Smith had some of the best years of his career under him. He knows more about Quarterbacking and has more offensive chops than Tomlin and Canada combined and he could not turn Mitch into a franchise QB. He could not unlock Mitch's fabled "upside" over 3 years but somehow we are going to do it.

Mitch is steadily cementing himself as a journeyman. He is on his 3rd team in 3 years. 3 years from now he will likely be on his 4th team. We just signed a 27 year-old Mark Sanchez. Congratulations.

I can only assume Mitch has the ability to hypnotize NFL front offices. It is the only explanation as to how anyone thought he was even close to (let alone better than) Deshaun Watson coming out of college. I have seen his selection @ #2 overall by the Bears described (accurately, in my opinion) as "a top five pick in Green Bay Packers history."

The rest of the division is laughing at us and will be wiping their brow in relief if this is the QB group we take into the 2022 season. If the front office does not draft Pickett (when he is available) I will lose any hope of doing anything significant this season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Exactly how I see it. Plus it gives us where we spend on other positions. Which have players that are a lot more promising, and we don't have to trade for.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If that had been my entire argument, you might have a point. Given that it was not, you do not. The rest of your post you whacking away at a straw man rather than dealing with the actual points in my post. Honestly, that was a really bad job by you.

The time as a starter highlights one of the many advantages he has over Rudolph, experience. He is also much more athletic. He is far better at escaping pressure and making plays with his legs as well as his arm. Trubisky isn't a failed starter just yet. The Bears had a lousy head coach who took a quarterback who showed promise in his second season and screwed him up. He has been better than Rudolph in just about every measurable way as a pro. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tim Tebow
    Eric Crouch
    Troy Smith
    Johnny Manziel
    Sam Bradford
    Marcus Mariota
    Matt Leinart
    Jason White
    Chris Weinke
    Gino Torretta
    Andre Ware

That is a list of quarterbacks who won the Heisman Trophy, so please don't give us being a Heisman finalist as the reason the Steelers can't possible pass on Kenny Pickett.

That said, I'm not turning my nose at Pickett. I think they should take him if he slips to 20, even with Trubisky on the roster.

That said, Nagy may have worked with good coaches, but that doesn't mean he's a good coach. He is a guy who got his shot because he worked with Andy Reid.

Trubisky might not work out, but for the price, he was a fine risk to take. He might turn out to be a more mobile Mark Sanchez. That's the sort of guy you get for a bridge quarterback to your next franchise guy. This one comes with some upside. It's not our fault if you are too myopic to see it, but even he just plays like the quarterback he was in 2018, he is worth the price they paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I have to admit, I’ve been worried about the Nagy ruined him argument because it’s the same argument that was used for Darnold and Gase but Trubisky has had a better career than Darnold, significantly better actually. Good point Scribe.

23. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I am well aware of the qbs that won the Heisman and sucked; I know that it is no guarantee of anything just like Pickett is not a guaranteed franchise Qb and neither is any QB in next year's draft (despite the fact that some people act as though it is). My point was that people who feel positive about signing a bust and want nothing to do with a QB that has shown far more upside are being illogical.

I do not want Kenny simply because he was a finalist, I want him because he has shown that he can improve dramatically with coaching and possesses all of the traits I want in a QB, measurables and intangibles.

Good thing I did not say Nagy is really good just because he worked for Reid. I cited that fact that he knows the ins and outs of playing QB and coached Alex Smith in the only Pro Bowls of his career. He even got Trubisky to a Pro Bowl and they still declined his fifth year option after investing so much in him. What does that tell you about Mitch's upside? It tells me he does not have any. They basically said "Any of the QBs we get in the draft next year will be better than you." and they did not even know where they would be picking yet.

The only silver lining to this is that it is a cheap two-year deal. However, keeping the guys we already had on the roster would have been even cheaper, and we are likely to get the same results.

Glad to see we are agreed on Pickett. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That comes 2 what??? 3 times what anyone else was making on the roster. So M. Trubisky is 3 times better than what we had???
    Also I heard for 2 years how We don't go down the field enough. Yet people are happy with Trubisky, and that's His worst part of His game.
    I'm so freaking confused???:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes. Trubisky was on one of the best Ds for awhile. So I do expect Him 2 be a bit better. What about His down field play. Seems everyone for the last 2 years complained about us going downfield....Yet that is Trubiskys biggest weakness. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1