1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. That was a typo. My bad.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Do I believe we take Pickett?? Doubtful in all honesty given the fact that, despite some reports (careful with those by the way), Pickett is an option but not the big prize. If Tomlin's ethos is to win games with a strong defense matched by a strong rushing attack (this point is immense and deserves more discussion to it), the team is likely zeroing in on Zion Johnson. Just like how it was for Najee Harris (though he did not participate in the Senior Bowl his season), Zion Johnson garnered a lot of attention from the teams Scouting Brass. That in addition to the amount of meetings they had with Johnson at the Senior Bowl, five total, makes him very much in play for pick 20.

Now, I seriously doubt the team is going to walk away from this draft without a QB. However, I doubt it is going to be in Round One as I do not believe the likes of Malik Willis, the team's big prize, will be there. Round two I see two options in Desmond Ridder/Sam Howell (leaving out Matt Corral for now). Of the two, I would want Ridder but would not be upset with Howell given how much the team has followed him since the beginning of the 2021 NCAA FBS I Season. Now, in the event that the team elects not to pick up a QB within the first two rounds?.... acquire either a Safety/IDL as the latter has too many players on the wrong side of 30 and the former is still an unknown at present.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I still don't understand why you think that just because the team follows the guy a lot, that means he is a better player. Sure, it means they are more likely to take him, but that is a different matter entirely.

That said, I agree with you. If Ridder or Howell fall to them in the second round, I think they will and should take the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Pickett won't be there. But MW might be. And I could see it. But I see if ridder is there in the second, we take that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, this really opens up the draft for us right? Do we go with a stud OT or ILb or bpa of need?

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He wants to start. Here, he has to compete against two third rounders and a first rounder we have absolutely no investment in. The Giants have his qb coach from the Bills, but he would have to compete against Daniel Jones, who's been starting for most of the last three years.

7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021

I was literally just saying this on ridder

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My thoughts exactly on Ridder. Definitely see him in Round Two though I would imagine that would have to be a trade up to get him. If not a trade up, Howell is the next option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sounds to me like he’s on a prove it deal. Smart move for both the organization and the player.

Draft BPA in rounds 1 and 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He's not the only great qb.

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    How long is the current team going to be around at the level they are at? By the time they get a qb they probably will be rebuilding the roster again.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It depends on the incentives, but it’s a great deal if we’re paying 7 million/year. I thought 7.5 million/year was the floor. Still far north of Colt’s 3.75 million/year

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think Howell gets out of the first. Ridder could be there for us in the 2nd.

Lions, Texans, Atlanta, Panthers and Seahawks all have top 10 picks all in need of a QB. Detroit has pick 32 as well so I think they wait to pick a QB. Don’t think Texans will use the 3 pick on this class. Panthers could end up with Watson leaving Falcons and Seahawks, for arguments sake, lets say they choose Willis and Pickett. That leaves the Saints who also need a QB and are in front of us at pick 17. Corall and Howell could be their pick leaving one for us. If Howell or Corall are there, would they pull the trigger?

14. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    OL, DL, ILB, CB

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This is the reality

He was their guy.... he was first out the gate.... before day 1 agreement. The first of FA when the money flows Out bid the Giants

He was the guy they wanted all along.

Ive never been a FIRE TOMLIN guy.. and I have been a huge Colbert fan

But Tomlin has tied his horse to the Canada wagon, and now made Trubisky the driver.

If they right they are going to look like the SMARTEST men in foorball... if they wrong... may have just set the franchise back 5 to 10 years

HACK

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He's gonna have to do alot of that this season

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Scared to death to think if Chuk Okofur is worth $29.25 million to the Steelers, what could we have possibly spent on Mitch Trubisky?

I am assuming it is going to be more than Chuks signed for.

19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He i a steaming pile
    What if one slips to the end of round 1. Do we trade future picks to Dolphins, Chiefs, Bengals or Lions to draft a QB?

20. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Or, you know, one year. He can be released and they can draft the next franchise guy in 2023.

No. 2/14.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I hope not. They all suck. Hold out till next year. There is no need to grab one of the bums available.

22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    If both slipped to us. I still don't think I take the gamble of trading. We need a QB for the future

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    2 year $14.25.....I can live with
    Can be bumped up to 27mill with incentives that will make it harder to swallow

HACK

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    The incentives are getting AFC championship, pro bowl, a ring..... Yeah I can live with that

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I don’t like this move. Mitch is not a good QB but I guess when you have Rudolph as your number one anything is in play. I think we’re in for some 7-10 to 6-11 years. I really hope I’m wrong but Trabisky was just a backup to Allen. I hope he learned from him. It’ll have to be a defensive team like the Kordell Stewart days. The one silver lining is he’s not expensive and if he has a breakout season we’re spending house money!