1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Mason Rudolph be on the Trade Block?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Mar 14, 2022.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    In the last few days the Steelers have placed an original round tender on Dwayne Haskins, and signed Mitchell Trubisky in free agency.

Neither of these moves are a ringing endorsement that the Steelers have any faith whatsoever in Mason Rudolph.

I believe there are teams out there that would still take a chance on Rudolph, much the same way the Steelers just took a chance on Trubisky.

It is very likely IMO, that the Steelers can get a 3rd round pick in exchange for Rudolph. You have Dobbs in the mix as well. No need to bring all four of these guys into camp. Rudolph is the only one with any potential trade value. I actually think there is a very good chance this happens.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  2. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Mason is going nowhere. He will be given the opportunity to compete for the job just like Mitch and Dwayne.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    QB competition

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe when preseason is done, one will be available for trade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There might be a market for him later if somebody loses a starter to injury but even at that I can’t see them getting a third given he is in a contract year and hasn’t proven himself even as a low level starter. If they can get a third I’d take it however.

Bring all three guys and Dobbs to camp and see what happens, albeit I’d be stunned if Trubisky doesn’t win the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Why not? It's not like he is TJ Watt.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Never would get a 3rd rounder for Mason.
    5th if they were lucky.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They are not Paying Trubisky 3(guessing at this)times a year what they are paying the rest of the Qbs, and this will Be a competition. That is out the window if You actually wanted a Qb competition. Trubisky will have 2 fail miserably for Him not 2 start, and everyone see it, and even then if History shows true ....will still be the starter. More likely than not.
    So You can kiss QB competition out the window....except for who will be the backup.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Exactly. They didn't sign Trubisky to compete. They signed Trubisky to start.

There really is no reason for Rudolph to be here. Even if all you can get for him is a 5th (and I still think they can do better than that) you take it. That 5th could be an extra O line or DB prospect. I would rather have that than a salty backup quarterback

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ask around...Doubt it but, if you get a 5th, pull the trigger

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Mason will never see a 3 rd pick for him. A fifth if were lucky more likely a sixth.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I wonder what they would get for Mason hypothetically. QBs draw a premium. A 3rd rounder struck me as high too. But you look at some of the QB trades over the recent yrs, (Wentz, Rosen, Darnold) not saying Mason would fetch as much as those guys, but each went for much, much more than a 3rd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    If someone traded us a 3rd round pick For Rudolph
    There isn’t enough drugs in the world for someone to give us a 3rd pick for Mason Fing Rudolph.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't think teams around the league have as low of an opinion of Rudolph as fans do locally.

You could argue that overall his play has been acceptable for a young QB. His growth has been stunted by multiple OC changes and sitting behind Ben.

I could see a team taking a chance on Rudolph, especially if they don't get their QB in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you can move him, sure. Dobbs fetched a 5th a couples seasons ago.

Don’t underestimate GM’s ability to give up too much.

They need the draft picks, hope they can shop him.

• Like Like x 3
  16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If the Steelers were lookin for a QB would you trade a 3rd for a 1 year rental?

Honestly depending on Trubiskys number I might just cut Mason. Let him try to find his own spot and save his cap money.. save 3 mill

Mason 4 mill
    Haskins 2.5 mill
    Trubisky? 10 to 15?

I don't want 20 mill in QBs and still have to decide who is better

I cut Mason for the 3 mill in savings as well as the embarrassment if he beats out Trubisky

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    6th being realistic

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If I was to shop Mason it would be during camp when teams need a QB due to injury.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Maybe Rudolph can sign with the Ottawa Redblacks in the CFL. That way he can be in a familiar position of being a backup to Duck Hodges.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am still waiting to see where Haskins was tagged with the original round tender. If it actually doesn't happen, then I think he will be the odd man out.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They already did that. https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/report-steelers-use-original-round-tender-on-qb-dwayne-haskins/

Unless it's just not showing on the transactions.

I'm wondering if they're going to smoke and mirror to make teams think they're really not interested in a QB this draft. Possibly get the one they really want to fall to them.

If that happens, it will be interesting how they plan to carry 3 QB's because you're not getting a 1st round QB (or any 1st round pick) to the practice squad.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Fans worry too much about embarrassment. It’s about the better player playing regardless of salary.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Do you feel comfortable with D Haskins as your back up? Until they add another QB, then no Mason should not be traded.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I doubt Mason goes anywhere.
    But I would not blame them as there are a few QB needy teams out there that might overpay.

Haskins, he's a head case. He has the arm talent to make any throw and has a cannon.
    But man, his brain is broken.
    I would not mind if he changed courses, but at this moment and based on my time in Washington seeing him up close, I have doubts.

The Steelers are quite adamant about taking 4 QB's into camp to compete.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    trubisky, rudolph, pickett or cole kelly or carson strong sounds about right. OR trubisky, haskins, ridder. many combo's could be yet to discover. the two year signing isn't a big vote of confidence. i expect we still grab a draft pick at some point. not sure what they see in haskins. mason and trubisky seem very similar to me. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1