1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Mar 14, 2022.

1. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I agree, but Mason could not beat the Lions last year and that was the nail in the coffin,

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    :facepalm:

:hehehe:

I just couldn't resist HM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    My hopes remain unchanged really. 2022 is dead to me. 2023, never know if we get shot at franchise QB and surprise to the upside.

While somewhat exciting in the short term signing Trubisky, goal seems to be throwing a bone to fans saying "at least we tried", LOL.

Note to management: Ok, you are done toying around at starting QB position, how about concentrating on fixing O-line this year to set up 2023?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m ok with this as long as they haven’t overpaid. Going in to the season with Mason / Haskins is asking for a lost season. Mitch isn’t great but he at least gives them a shot at acceptable QB play, if they can improve that OLine and get another WR this offence could be much better than last year.

5. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Need proof or it never happened.

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. Mason is done. Had his chance to show some potential. Can service as mid-level starting QB backup, but no more. Trubisky is known quantity more or less and is very low, but starting QB material. A small to moderate upgrade over Rudolph starting.

So we have near worst offense and near worst starting QB in the NFL now. A match, LOL.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Colt doesn’t provide a fraction of the upside of Trubisky. He’s a 35 year old safe backup for a few games. The last time he was a starting QB was 11 years ago. I think some fans are being unrealistic about what Trubisky is going to cost. Looking back at journeyman contracts in recent years for guys like Mariota, Taylor, Brissett, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Bridgewater, etc. and you see a bare minimum of $5 million/year for guys who are generally not expected to start, or may compete. Many are higher like the contract Mariota signed to be a backup 2y/17.6 million; Keenum 3y/18 million, Fitz in ‘21 was 1y/10 million. Back when Brissett and Taylor signed contracts when they were expected to start, they were both around 2y/30 million. Bridgewater had a 3y/63 million contract with Carolina. Taylor’s more recent backup contracts were around 5 million/year. Mitch is coming here to start. He’s a guy who has upside that has been unrealized to date, but is more upside than just about any free agent QB. He was the starter for a Bears team that made the playoffs 2 of his 4 seasons, and his playoff stats completely blow away Lamar Jackson’s playoff stats despite having lesser offensive talent around him. He made it to the postseason and played OK there. He’s going to cost us north of 7.5 million/year, maybe even 10-15 million/year. That’s what the market will be for him now that he’s a year removed from his Bears gig.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Me and you have agreed on many aspects and comments for many years. I disagree with the final statement though. While it is true that there still is the possibility of the team drafting one of the top QBs in this draft, it is also possible that the team can explore options in the second round; namely someone like Sam Howell; a name that has continuously floated around ever since the beginning of the 2021 CFB Season for the team. Let us not forget that Colbert had repeatedly made visits to North Carolina games; further adding possible speculation that the team could like Howell a bit more than they are letting on. Also to note is that the team has been in discussion with Howell since the Senior Bowl.

Truth be told and, if anything, while I do not believe the team is taking a QB in Round One (though I was under this impression via my sig anyhow regardless of whomever the QB was), I had believed that trading up in Round Two was going to be the more likely scenario. Given how me and you both know that Mitchell clearly is not the answer... perhaps someone in this upcoming draft is. If not... fair enough!! Mitchell is on a two year deal so there is still time for the team to find their guy.

However, if I am a betting man, I would say that the Steelers have likely zeroed in on Sam Howell at this point. Too many signs pointing to that direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    My wife is a Bears fan, so I've seen about every game Mitch played with them. He's definitely not the answer. He can show flashes but overall he sucks. He does check the box of being a mobile QB. Maybe we'll get lucky in that the place where QB's go to die screwed him up and we can fix him to improve his game. If not, I guess it's little lost. I do hope it prevents us from reaching for a QB and focus on correcting the rest of the team while we wait for a franchise QB to drop from the sky like Ben did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Do not be so sure. The Steelers have been in contact with Sam Howell greatly since the beginning of the CFB Season; namely Kevin Colbert and succeeded by Mike Tomlin via the Senior Bowl. That said though, me and you are in agreement on what the team should be doing come Round One. Should the team sign James Daniels... that would alleviate the concern of nabbing an IOL in Round One though Zion Johnson would be very difficult to pass up upon regardless.

Jordan Davis is still someone I would want so badly. If anything, I wanted him in the 2021 NFL Draft; believing he was forgoing his Senior Season. Good for him in not doing so and it payed off in a big way. If not him, Andrew Booth Jr please; Sauce Gardner even.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    This is very much a bridge signing, Trubisky is not good, albeit I’m happier going in to the season with him rather than Mason. Haven’t seen the money end of it, not sure if the details are out but I hope they haven’t overpaid.

Im happy enough, again, depending on the money. I probably would have preferred Jamieis Winston if I am honest

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Winston's gimpy knee was the turnoff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All My Chi town family members have text Me 2 laugh.......just like I did them (well I called them then) when they got Kordell.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Reminds me of David Woodley trade in 1984- former hot shot who fizzled out, brought into compete with Mark Malone. Hope we are not going to see the mid 80s all over again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Did we just spend half of our cap space on a guy we may or may not think has a slight possibility of maybe being better than what we already had. Rudolph sucks but he is only $4 million. I don’t like signing trubisky at $15/yr. Until we know the size of the contract you can’t decide if this was completely stupid.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes forgot he wasn’t going to be ready.

Will keep an open mind with Mitch. Daboll spent a year coaching him in Buffalo and he wanted him in New York which is a good sign. Trubisky is a great guy by all accounts and will give it 100%. I expect more of what we saw in Chicago however, missing open guys or not seeing them in the first place etc.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I wanted him all along...* Look it up lol...I think /HOPE LIKE HELL... He's gonna be a big surprise!

• Like Like x 1
  18. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Right idea, wrong guy. Maybe Mariota was too expensive? Trubisky is better than Rudolph, but a step below Mariota.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I remember You saying it.:thumbs_up:
    I'm just not as enthusiastic about it as You are. Especially if We only get a little bit more production from Him than Mason....for 3 times the price, and could have used the money elsewhere.
    Promise You I hope I'm totally wrong, and He is awesome, and Great for the next 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    A die hard Bears fan told me Mitch stunk in Chicago, but that he was still better than Mason. :shrug:

21. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    If anything this shows how hard it is to find a franchise QB. Mitch was drafted 2nd overall. Tanking doesn’t guarantee anything.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Trubisky does offer some mobility, that's what Tomlin and Art II talked about after the season ended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Let’s hope all he does is hand off and run bootlegs. Have you seen him throw downfield?

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I find it funny that the odds makers have dropped us 2 worse odds of Making a SB since we signed Trubisky.
    Shows what they think of Him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

I agree. If they got him for a reasonable salary, they don't need to reach for a QB this year. They will still have cap space to sign FA's and build through the draft. He might turn out to be a solid NFL starting QB. If not, you try and get you're next franchise guy through the draft and move on.

People get all butt hurt because they didn't swing for the fence and make a big play for Wilson or wait it out and go after Watson. Signing a Trubisky, or even a Mariota or Brissett is the safe move. It allows you to tread water for a year and try to shore up other areas of the team through the draft and free agency without dropping a king's ransom in draft capital and cap space. It's a solid decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1