1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

For me this free agency is Mariota or bust. I want to see a change!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Canada is truly wanting to create something different in Pittsburgh next year this is the guy. He brings physical tools that no one on the roster has. There is not another free agent on the market that can bring his kind of style to the offense than Marcus Mariota.

With Tennesse he was setting NFL record after NFL record before the injury bug got him.
    NFL records[edit]
    • Most games with at least three touchdown passes by an NFL rookie: 4 (tied with Peyton Manning and Deshaun Watson)
    • Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback in one half: four (tied with Jameis Winston and Deshaun Watson) (September 13, 2015)
    • First player in NFL history to pass for at least 250 yards with three touchdowns and rush for more than 100 yards in the same game
    • Second rookie in NFL history to throw at least four touchdown passes in a season opener
    • First quarterback in NFL history to record six total touchdown passes within the first two games of his career
    • First player in the Super Bowl era with a perfect passer rating in first NFL start
    • First player to have both a receiving and passing touchdown in a playoff game
    • First player to throw a touchdown pass to himself in the playoffs
    • Sixteen games with at least two touchdown passes in his first two NFL seasons (tied with Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson)
    • First rookie to have two games with four touchdown passes and no interceptions
    • First quarterback in NFL history to throw four touchdown passes in the first half of his NFL debut

After signing a 2 year $17.6 million dollar deal with the Raiders he was out of Tennesse. Now, 2 years later, he is a healthy free agent in need of a team that wants a mobile QB; and there is none out better than Marcus Mariota.

upload_2022-3-3_21-22-16.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I thought you had already posted this and several people had responded....how did all the responses end up getting deleted??

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mariota deserves his own thread and I couldn't find one. Maybe I missed it.

Throw Winston out the Window because of his torn ACL.

Want more of the same..,. Mason Rudolph is better than either Trubisky or Garoppolo.

And watching a little of the combine, I was like please don't spend a 1st round pick on a QB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph is not better than Trubisky or Garoppolo. Both are significantly better. He has started more games. He has a higher completion percentage, higher touchdown percentage, lower interception percentage, and a huge advantage in yards per attempt for his career in comparison with Rudolph. Garoppolo is a solid NFL starter, much better than Rudolph. Yes, he has had better talent around him, but the gap between them statistically is very wide. The problem with acquiring Garoppolo is he would cost both draft capital and a big chunk of the salary cap.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RudoMa00.htm

Trubisky is more experienced, more mobile, and has a stronger arm than Rudolph. He hasn't been great, but he has certainly been better than Rudolph in their brief careers. He doesn't have quite as much of an advantage in his passing numbers over Rudolph, but he is a serious threat as a runner, too.

Regarding the thread title, Mariota is a bust. He might be an upgrade over Rudolph, but not much of one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A duck had more mobility than Ben the last couple of years. Is “mobility” a relative term?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That you Glemm?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Wasnt trying to be funny or drag you on the post. I seriously thought I had seen this post with a page or two of comments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Mariota would be a win now move.
    I would think / hope his body has had time to heal in the last 2 years.
    Just maybe some time watching the game and not having that starting QB pressure, could of given him some perspective. Mariota is a real smart dude.

I would be down with giving him a shot. As long as we also get a vet center to pair up with a new QB.

LT Moore
    LG ( High Draft Pick)
    QB Mariota C FA proven Vet.
    RG Dotson (nat. pos.)
    RT Banner / Chuks

• Like Like x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You did. The OP posted pretty much the same thing in a different thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, I had busted into a couple of other QB posts spreading my Mariota propaganda, and then after watching the highlights of yesterday's combine I came here to bump a Mariota thread and couldn't find one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Because no one has ever come back from a knee injury.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Different thread. Still think Mariota sucks. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please go back to face book.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I would like the OL player from Washington, Marriotta, and then see what else they do in FA.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mason Rudolph is better then Trubisky or Garoppolo?

upload_2022-3-6_8-10-4.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    it is relative to a rock that hasn't moved since water was turned to wine.

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    really sad when you hear that some talking heads are pimping Jamis Winston to the Steelers as well. Top two QB's taken in their draft class arguments galore about who was the more ready and who was the more exciting prospect and they lost those jobs before the ink dried on their rookie deals.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Jameis Winston would be best available "affordable" option. He's a tick better than Garrap, Trubisky types. He said he grew some from working with Brees. I know, he can be an INT machine, but the man can pass better than either Garrap or Trubisky. I don't think Winston takes us to playoff glory, given our 3 or 4 GLARING holes on the OL, ILB, CB and possibly DL if injuries don't work out. That said if he can be had affordable, even if just a one year prove it deal, I am game for Winston, he is at least an average NFL QB, unlike Garrap, Trubisky or Mariota or others being mentioned. Winston is the only one of those capable of 30+ TD passes.

All that said, draft and sign FAs to fill all the glaring holes and draft a later round QB to compete with the below average crap we have. If we are below average, as most of us expect, we finally get a top 10 pick in 2023 for that QB hunt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Any plan that includes hey remember this guy who was highly touted before the draft but played for team x and team y but was misused, we should totally sign him and because he has got it together. That plan should never be uttered, at all even in fantasy football or Madden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Tore his ACL in November. Winston and his big knee brace would be the only way we could have a LESS mobile QB than Ben was last year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He really would be a good fit for Canada. I always felt it was injuries that derailed him and not talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Of all the options out there I prefer Winston or Mariota the most. They're both likely stop-gaps and better options on our current roster. I can live with Trubinski. If Jimmy G was a FA, I'd be open to him, but giving up draft capital makes him a no go for me. I could also live with a 5th for Minshew.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He certainly has great physical tools, but we've also seen him make some really bad decisions. I'd certainly rather see him than somebody like Brissett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have been hoping Pittsburgh would bring in Mariota for several years. Great arm, accurate, mobile, leader and ready to win. We can afford him and have space to upgrade several positions on our roster. People will be surprised how good Mariota really is when a team brings him in next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly....
    Why was Tennessee so dumb.
    I mean it's not like they didn't automatically get better when they quit using Him.:shrug: