1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Love him or hate him...He had some moments!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kordell was a great athlete, he was an electrifying runner and could have been an All-Pro receiver. However he was a terrible passer who never learned to read a defense.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. If he’d dedicated himself to becoming a great receiver we’d have been talking about Swann, Stallworth AND…STEWART!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    couldn’t disagree more. Stewart was a victim of 3 ocffensive coordinators that tried to make him into a pocket passer. Had Cowher had a little more vision and built an offense that utilized his strengths Stewart’s career would have been significantly different.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have always thought Kevin Gilbride broke Kordell. Gilbride tried to turn him into a pocket passer ... to the point Kordell himself is on record saying no matter what I was not going to leave that pocket.

Honestly I think I would take Kordell over Lamar.... the biggest difference is they tried to make Kordell something he wasn't and the Ravens designed an offense around Lamar

Think about this...Kordell is almost exactly what people are hoping Willis can be...

HACK

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kordell would have been a top QB if he played today.

People ignore he had a new OC just about every year and none of them built an offense around his strengths.

Stupidly tried to make him a pocket passer. He hit the league too soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ever wondered why He had a new OC all the time.
    No better yet.....Ever wondered why Qbs that are never really good , but some think are ....are always getting new OC????
    I could make a list.
    This We made Kordell play pocket Qb is nonsense. We ran about 5 - 6 plays a game that were specifically designed for Kordell. It always came down 2 the playoffs. Teams would force Him 2 stay in the pocket, and beat Him with His arm. Hmmm. Reminds me of someone. :hmm:
    Sorry people but great teams in the playoffs can do this ,and they did,and they do.
    I was a huge Kordell fan,and made every excuse in the book for Him when He was here(I promise), but I seen what the problem was.
    I believe it was C. Gailey they (national media)ask why certain routes We didn't run with Kordell, and He said if we win a SB I'll tell You... maybe.
    No matter what You people want ....reading a defense is part of the description of being a Qb.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Gilbride was on record many times telling Kordell to stay in pocket. Kordell himself has said he tried to prove everyone wrong and show he could be a pocket passer

No one is saying Kordell was the smartest QB to ever play... and let's just say he was bad a reading defenses. So was Ben early in his career.. that's why they rolled him out and cut the field in half. They do it with Mahomes a lot now... same with Lamar...

I think Lamar is a great RB with an arm....I'll take Kordell

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What a crock of ****. It’s Kordell fault he had a new OC each year?

It’s his fault they thought like you do and think the only way to play QB is to sit in the pocket even if it’s shoving a square peg into a round hole.

Most of the criticism of Kordell was bs. Even with all the wrong use he still had them in the Championship game.

But I know, he ran and omg what is a QB doing running! The horror!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Did you read what You just wrote. Should I get a list of the so so Qbs that have had many OCs.
    The reason is You keep looking for one that can make it work.
    Did you actually watch when Kordell played. They ran an average of 5 - 6 plays a game just for Kordell....that nobody in the league was running.
    Sorry if asking Your Qb 2 read a defense, and throw the ball is asking 2 much of a Qb. :shrug:Let's not ask our RBs 2 run the ball....only catch.
    Hey all the SB Qbs play from the pocket 1st ,and foremost, but let's go the other way. Let's make it harder on us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Loved me some "slash" in the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We all did.
    Hell I had 3 Kordell jerseys. I still have one full of burn holes from welding. Anyone that knows Me ....knows I stuck up for Him the whole time He was our Qb.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They brought in a new coordinator each year because Kordell was playing like sh*t for that in between period. Then that one good year again in 97 and that was it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I would have thought that with three different minds working with him, something would have clicked eventually. I liked Stewart; he was so physically gifted. However, he never thoroughly grasped the nuances of playing QB in the NFL for whatever reason. Ultimately, he has to shoulder most of the blame for that. He took his teams as far as he could with what he had to work with. However, when he was forced to win the game with his arm, he couldn't get it done. That the game has changed to enhance more of what Kordell was capable of then isn't really anyone's fault other than he was playing in the wrong era and the league hadn't caught up with his skill set. Good post, that run against NE was electrifying.

• Like Like x 3
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Did losing Thigpen set Kordell back more than any other factor? They seemed to have a special connection.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Quarterbacks who rely on their running ability primarily have a 5 year shelf life in the NFL. When their legs start getting heavy and they become one dimensional, that’s it. QBs who use their arms and their brains can have decade+ careers with multiple post season opportunities. Running quarterbacks like Lamar and Kordell are very exciting to watch and will thrill the masses for a short period of time, but until these guys are winning in the post season on a regular basis and competing for Super Bowls give me a pure passer who has exceptional pocket awareness. It’s an added plus if they have above average mobility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I read what you wrote, who ever said they were switching OC’s for Kordell.

And where did you pull the 5-6 plays no one else was running? And even if thats true, a whole 5-6 plays, ooo pinch me. How about designing an entire offensive scheme around the guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He couldn't hit a broadside of a barn. Should have been a wr. Remember folks.
    you really have to have accuracy to be successful in the NFL

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    In his 8 years in Pitt.. he won 61% of his regular season games 46-29..... and went 2-2 in the playoffs. Losing to Elways Broncos, and Tom Bradys cheating Patriots. (They are calling out our plays at the line of scrimmage)

The only thing Kordell is guilty of is not being one of the top QBs in the games history. He was an above average QB and again the 3rd best QB in Steelers history

Now half the fan base wants to draft Willis and hope he can be Kordell+

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not me, only accurate, able to read defense need to apply on my job application. Students of the game
    would help also.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That wasn’t cheating. That was Plaxico vs good coaching. I’m not saying the Patriots didn’t cheat but that’s not how they knew our offensive plays that day.

• Like Like x 3
  22. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

There are lot of Steeler players that feel differently....I believe either Ward or Porter still say the Pats have one of their rings

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Both Sherman and Gilbride were brought in to get the maximum potential out of Stewart. I distinctly remember that. And then were shown the door. Mularkey was able to get some things working with him but it didn't last.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The problem is they don't know what info the Patriots had either. They're just speaking from emotion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    They were speaking from emotion. It was 20 years ago and they still sing it. They lost many games yet they say something was different about that one

We will never know to what degree it did or didn't help the Pats, but spygate did indeed happen. I'm sure they got something out of it or they would not have spent the resources doing it.

Take the word cheating out of the post.. my point still stands.. losing to Elway and Brady who both teams then won the Super Bowl is not something to be embarrassed over

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2