1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson or 2023 for me.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 88Unstoppable82, Feb 24, 2022.

1. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Rodgers ain’t coming. Not happening.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm sorry, I need to ask, are some people still holding onto the dream...sorry, the fantasy, that Dobbs is somehow going to become THE man?

I'm still seeing his name thrown around as if he's more than an emergency QB. He's two depths behind Mason Rudolph. TWO.

If Duck Hodges could outrun Tom Brady with a limp, Dobbs would probably be the "camp arm". This is "Dirty Red" all over again. Oh God, just thinking of those Dirty Red years. It was like waiting for Kordell to learn how to throw a 10 yard out. You know it's never going to happen but some can't let it go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I like Dobbs as the number 3 option this year. Haskins out Dobbs in. Dobbs was only 26 when the last season ended

I am still hoping we pick up a free agent QB before the draft this year, so there is no desperation pick at #20. The new Free Agent competes with Masson for the #1 spot, and Haskins and Dobbs compete for the #3 spot on the active roster.

If Canada can open up his entire playbook this offseason, my money is on Dobbs to be able to pick it all up before Haskins.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Dobbs is not on the roster, I see him being involved with the quarterbacks somehow, intern maybe. He was very involved with trying to teach Ben. Ok, maybe he shouldn’t put that on his resume.

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I guess you will know by March 20th on Wilson's future. Wilson is due a $5 million roster bonus on March 20th if he is still with the team.

I really hope the 20th comes and go for the Steelers without any news.
    Wilson will turn 34 years old next season and his declining production after returning from finger surgery — five touchdowns, four interceptions on a 61.1% completion rate and 210 passing yards per game in six appearances — does not look good by any means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, maybe. Rodgers had the same thing last year (and this year?) and immediately after taking the money he started to be an ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You might want to save it for 16 games of a Mason Rudolph led offense.

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Nobody major. And I'm guessing Mason beats them out.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I not saying that I want to trade a ton of draft capital for Wilson, but to me it seems a bit overly selective to zero in on his stats immediately after a return to action from an injury to a finger on his throwing hand, and call that evidence of his decline.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The guy has an aerospace engineering degree, I'd rather he do something with that then waste his time with some kind of faux staff position.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    and yet he is still the 3rd best QB in franchise history.... that should tell people it's not as easy as they think to just find the next one.

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Dobbs will be the next Marginal player to become a great coordinator IE Eric Bienemy or Byron leftwich

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Maybe, no doubt he has the intelligence, but I still do not get all the hype. There has been little evidence he has done anything other than the reported one play he helped with the previous season. People let their imagination run wild when there just might not be anything there, lol. He might have no.interest in football. Have a feeling Tesla or some other space tech company may interest him as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I would agree with that. I just see greater dangers than throwing draft picks and a lot of cap space to an aging QB, especially when the framework of the team has so many holes. The Rams made it work, they have a championship, and perhaps can make a run this year, but that window will.close very fast. Not saying it's wrong, and they have made some really decent finds with their lower draft picks. But trading top.picks for aging rentals, then pushing cap money into the future will cone back to bite eventually. If this team were a Wilson away from champion level play maybe, but we simply are not there.

The largest QB cap hit to ever win a SB was Brady last year at 12.4 per cent. Rodgers hit last year was something like 24 per cent and reports are out there he wants to be the highest paid player by a large amount, and input on players he wants brought in. I want no part of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    People act like Josh Dobbs is some young prospect QB, he’s only 26.

if Josh Dobbs starts for the Steelers this yr, he’ll be the oldest starter in the division. He’s also older than Josh Allen, Mahomes and Deshaun Watson.

and on top of that he’s throw all of 17 career passes, barely a half’s worth of passes for all those other guys. He must be the oldest up and coming prospect in the league!

• Like Like x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t think it would be faux. It doesn’t show up on tv, but I watched at home games. When Ben came to the sidelines, the first person he went to was Dobb’s and they sat down while Dobb’s pointed out “stuff” on an iPad type device. Dobb’s did the same last year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But I don't think you give essentially a coaching job to someone who is that young and essentially a rookie themselves. It would just be weird imo.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s been doing some form of this for 5 years. That is more than many assistant coaches. And the word intern, or something to that affect. They hire video assistants with no experience. It would certainly be an initial pay cut. But for a guy who may have an interest in coaching?

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now he has more pro “coaching” experience than Tomlin had when he became a DB coach.

20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I am not doubting that his intellectual and observational skill could take him to that level. Tony Dungy caught Noll's eyes early by the way he broke down tape..as a player. So anytime is possible. Just have to wait and see if indeed he has it, wants it and others see it as well.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How much draft capital are you willing to give up for a 34 year old athletic QB. Show me a mock trade that does not send at least 2 first round picks for Wilson.

Then the article I quoted said he will also be wanting to turn around and sign a new multiyear 100-million-dollar contract. Not bad for a guy that threw 5 Tds with 4 Ints last year.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You very nicely ignored his comment

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He threw 25 TDs with 6 interceptions last year. Really. You can check. 40 TDs the year before. I didn’t say that I wanted to trade a lot of draft capital for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If his hand is good ....:shrug:
    He would be the only Qb I'd trade anything for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but if he truly hits the trade market I expect someone that thinks they’re a QB away from a title to throw a bunch of draft capital at Seattle. Maybe Denver or Washington.

• Agree Agree x 1