1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2022.

1. ToyotaTacomaFan

ToyotaTacomaFan Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2022
    Just beef up our line and we should be good.
    Id rather have Mason and a great line or even good line, than a decent enough QB and our current offensive line.
    And of course getting rid of Canada.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I want some competition brought in to push Mason, if he struggles they need a competent backup, not Haskins though.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Garrapollo [sp] has already made a crap-ton of money. I can see him coming in on a non-backbreaking contract specifically to give the team room to acquire pieces to put around him. If he wants to contend…

• Like Like x 2
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    So, here's what I know at the moment:
    Washington is preparing to go hard at Jimmy and Dan Snyder is well known for outbidding himself.
    Jimmy has a "No-Trade" clause and wants to go to a winner, so Washington would have to promise the sun, moon and stars because they are not a promising franchise yet.
    Pittsburgh on the other hand, is despite some obvious flaws.

What I think will happen:
    Pittsburgh will not belly up the price.
    They will instead, draft upgrades on the Offensive line and Defensive Backs.
    If a Howell/Ridder falls to 52, maybe they pick them there.
    But I can see 20 as an OT, 52 as an OG or QB, 84 as a DB or LB

Jimmy G probably winds up in New Orleans if they figure out how to gain the space.
    Denver would be a possible landing spot as well.
    Then again SF could just surprise everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would love a scenario where we got either Howell or Ridder in the 2nd, and grabbed a solid offensive line piece in the 1st. Couple that with a modest free agent like Trubisky to take the reins in 2022. If you pass on a QB in the 1st, you can tell a guy like Trubisky that he has a chance to earn a long term starting gig, and be believable.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Agreed. I don’t want an entitled QB who hasn’t shown us anything yet. Unless you are Steve Young sitting behind Montana or Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Farve, you better be prepared to earn it

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Sounds like Jimmy G is gaining some momentum here. I am hearing a 4th round pick and possible futures. I think he is better than Mason but still a game manager. I wouldn’t give up much to be honest.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Gaining momentum with the Steelers or just in the league?

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I saw where Colbert said they was gonna add 2 QB's to the roster this offseason...:shrug:

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is most likely

They will bring in a vet to compete with Mason

They need a fourth arm for camp

Since Mason is the only QB signed, they still need a fourth before camp

Therefore they need to sign 3, Dobbs and/or Haskins are maybes

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is this actually how he phrased it

• Like Like x 2
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ]Haha,, would it matter if he did,:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Whomever they go with I just hope that it's a QB that the team has more belief in then the OC so that if the offense isnt working for the QB (even if its not blatantly obvious) the QB has more pull then the OC to see his demands met...which would include a new OC. I dont see that happening with Haskins, Rudolph or even a Garappolo, or some other mid-tier QB where they would warrant that type of respect in which case the season would have to end horribly in order to see Canada for sure gone if his offense doesnt seem to work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Close enough. He said they have Rudolph and Haskins, and will go into camp with 4.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    But we would also inherit his $25m salary or sign him to a long term deal. Neither sound too appealing

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would take Trubisky or Mariota and keep my 4th round pick over a trade for Garoppolo.

Hoping they stay away from Winston because of his torn ACL in November.

And, like I have said before I am really hoping they bring Dobbs back to compete with Haskins again this year for the #3 spot.

You should have these QBs looking for a 2nd chance wanting to come here because they only have to beat out Mason Rudolph and they get a full time starter position. We don't have a quality veteran QB, or a young QB with potential on the roster. There is only Mason Rudolph on the roster!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe Haskins is a FA? It’s not a given he stays with the Steelers.

Edit: I just read the Steelers have, or will, make him a RFA with an original round tender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we always have 4 in camp. if we bring two in that means dobbs is out. :cool:

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Probably have to give up a 3rd or better to get him. San Fran can keep him and get a third comp pick next year. Can’t see them trading him for less than that. With that being said 25million towards garrapolo would largely prevent us from going after other free agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tim Kawakami of The Athletic predicts that Jimmy Garoppolo will be traded to #Steelers for a 4th round pick this year & a conditional pick that could become a 2nd rounder next year. He believes a trade will be agreed to and reported by the end of month.

21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If this is true, the 49ers better be eating 90% of his salary or we get a 1st round pick. Zero way does paying him 24m+ make any logical sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    STEELER FANS - we need a first round QB

STEELERS - we had a first round grade on Mason

STEELER FANS - not him... we want a true top 15 pick QB

STEELERS - Haskins was a top 15 just 3 years ago

STEELER FANS - not him

It the Steelers draft a QB in the first round you better hope they don't get the next "HASKINS"... because they will try to develop him for 4 more years before they draft another one

It's much more important to get it right than to just do it to do it

If they can't get a stop gap like Rodgers(old). or a young gun like Watson(baggage) i would rather just add a Mariotta to the current mix and build the rest and grab the QB next year

HACK

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Nope. Let`s let Mason be starter for a year while we rebuild O-line. 2022 is dead to me, LOL. Fix O-line, then we are just a plug in QB away from contending. Don`t plug in injury prone QB like JG. Opportunity might present itself in 2023.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I don't see this team as a serious contender next year, unless they have a top 5 QB. Jimmy G certainly is not, so that would seem like a waste of valuable draft picks and salary just for a gate keeper. I know the NFL is a business, and the Steelers would like to remain contenders for the sake of ticket sales, merchandise sales, ratings, sponsorship, etc. Jimmy G keeps us contending, but that's about it imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd like to see Carr here too..