1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan Named GM

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 4, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What???
    He is not a child. I don't have 2 tell people 2 often I'm teaching anything 2 sit down, and shut up.
    Plus what's the sense of having someone with that much experience not being able 2 pass it on???:shrug:

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I know Hunt seems to have been grooming for this job, but I don't think now is the time for the Steelers to risk with such a green hire at GM. The outside candidates seem to at least have the front office experience necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Colbert is staying in a limited capacity, anything can be passed on

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't know He was staying.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Is this seriously a rule?

If this is true then it certainly is prejudice against the so called privileged.

6. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If anything it's the opposite as incentive to hire more black executives. Personally I dont think this RichD guy has any clue what he's talking about....but it's even more ridiculous to say its prejudice against the so called priveleged...99% of the owners in the league are white...theres no so called priveleged to it when its 99% and anybody who says different is either naive, ignorant as hell, slightly above the spectrum, or hopefully just being facetious.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

It's a stupid rule plain and simple. Why does race have to play into it all? Just hire the best person for the job.

Owners are extremely rich people. There are plenty of very very very wealthy people in this world no matter what race, color, sex or ethnicity they happen to be. What they choose to spend their money on is absolutely their own business.

This is just another example of seclusion and exclusion.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I dont know what you mean by seclusion and exclusion, but I have a hard time believing in over 50 years of existence no black man has ever wanted to own a NFL team...I also have no problem with encouraging minority hires (including women) in an industry that's dominated by white men in top administrative positions. I do believe the Rooney rule is a joke and you should be allowed to hire the best person for a job but if you think theres only 4 men capable of coaching professional football (for instance) that are not white then I got prime real estate in Antarctica to sell you.

9. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Look here SteelReal. I asked a question about compensation on a AA front office hire. Because there are benefits to hiring a Brother to another place. I was worried Steelers had to pay out of pocket(draft picks) but have learned the Steelers don`t get a penalized thwe other team just gets picks comped by the NFL.

10. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You mean if you take a minority exec from another team the other team gets a comp pick right?? I think somebody mentioned that before here, but they never clarified if it was because the person was still under contract or not, because it may not have anything to do with them being black at all. It may be similar to any other contract situation in the NFL. If you grab somebody off a active roster who is under contract then you get a comp pic usually (i.e. KC taking Ingram and the Steelers getting a 6th rd pic in return...or whatever it was.).

11. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    If you hire a AA front office dude to a GM position, just say scouting for Bears to GM for Steelers. Bears would get 2, 3rd round comp picks from NFL, not Steelers. Pretty sure this is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    @RichD @SteelReal

In November of that year, owners approved a similar policy that rewarded teams for developing minority coaches and executives. The policy allows a team that loses a minority assistant coach or executive — to become a head coach or GM of another team — to receive a third-round compensatory pick for two years. If a team loses both a coach and executive, it would receive said pick for three years.

No exchange of pics from one team to another if someone is hired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Thank You Thorn !!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
  15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    My apologies. Google is my friend and I didnt do enough to try and make sense out of what you were saying.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

There is a lot of ambiguity in who decides who's best for the job. I heard someone on talk radio recently talking about Belicheck's sons who are on his staff and the conflict that creates for other coaches when the two aren't up to snuff but do you tell their Dad, hey Bill your boys aren't cutting it?

Week before last Pat McAfee had one of his former teammates on his show talking about coaching, I want to say his name was Butler but who it was is less important than the discussion where he talked about being behind in most head coaches or front office personnel because instead of going into coaching right out of college he played for 9 years and how younger guys who chose coaching had more experience because of that and got better opportunities. He was basically getting at that even though he played for 9 years and played at a high level he was starting way behind other coaches. My question to him would have been I care less about your coaching experience and more about your coaching ability. Some great players out there who make lousy coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because owners wouldn't just hire the best guy for the job, they would hire retread coaches and minorities couldn't even get an interview, so it's not a stupid rule.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I read that when Flores was with New England he wasn't named DC but he called the defense his last few years there, but Belichick son is like 30 and he's the DC now :rolleyes:.

19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Plenty of Black men and women could own an NFL team if they chose to. Nobody is saying they will not sell one to them if the money of the asking price and the franchise is actually for sale. It's dumb to even think that. Oprah Winfrey could own 2 teams if she chose to. Kayne West could own another or perhaps 3. Michael Jordan another. BHO with some additional minority shareholders another one. Why is it hard to believe that no black man (as you put it) has ever wanted to own an NFL team? Have you ever heard of one being turned away?

Not sure why only 4 men out of 32 got hired for their position as I wasn't involved in the hiring processes but I can assure you that they were all employed by an Equal Opportunity Employer.

You can keep your Antartica real estate. Sounds like a bad investment if you ask me. Besides my Wife hates to be cold.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020

You misquoted what I said or misinterpreted one. I said I have a hard time believing that's there's never been a black man (should have said person) that has never wanted to own an NFL team...i didnt say there was ever one that didnt have the monetary means to do so or never wanted to. As it turned out I was right. There was a Rommie Loudd back in the 70s who tried to own a NFL franchise but was stonewalled by drug trafficking allegations. Sean Combs was interested in owning the Panthers.

21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I worked for a company that was against nepotism long ago for probably just this purpose. They no longer practice that form of hiring. Perhaps for the better, or maybe not.:shrug:

I will always stand behind hiring the best guy for the job even if I feel negated from that practice in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Unbelievable

• Like Like x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

OK. I guess you had to actually go back 50 years.:rolleyes:

P Diddy is a dope smoking rapper and maybe they really didn't want to encourage that behavior more than they already do throughout the league.

EDIT - I didn't know who Rommie Loudd actually was so I looked him up. Seems like a very outstanding person but his net worth upon dying in 1998 was 1.1 million dollars. Sorry but I doubt he was stonewalled by drug trafficking allegations. Sounds more like he just didn't have enough bling to bring to the table if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Hardly actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    And Kraft goes to Brothels and Snyder may have sexually harassed employees. Theres also tons of emails between him and Chuckie that have disappeared...possibly incriminating. You really want to start peeling back the layers on these owners??

Theres a pretty good reason I'm sure why black people have rarely introduced their hand into the pot...if I'm not mistaken there is a application process. Who knows how many have tried and havent even got beyond that process. If the NFL had a problem with Diddy smoking dope why even allow him to bid?? That goes back to my original point which once again I will emphasize you misquoted/misinterpreted. I said I had a hard time believing there were black [men] who have not attempted to own a team and I was right. Having the monetary means is one thing (which I was not referencing to)... being allowed to is an entirely different issue. For all you know they hold minority applicants to a higher standard. Look how judgmental and exclusionary you were based upon a man who smokes weed yet how quickly you forget.