1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 14, 2022.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I stick with mason and just play the season out. Time to build our O line and D line

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    if it was up to me I wld play the QB who knows the system. I am not bringing in a new QB unless I believed he was our Guy, out of everyone I have looked at the only QB that I can say that about is CJ Stroud. So, funny as it sounds, I think we shld be good with guys who know the system and we can finally see what we have in a Mason or Haskins, let them fight it out for a year. And than next year we can evaluate that QB class and who we could realistically target

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I don't think anything other than finding the next deon sanders to shut Chase down in Cincy matters. You can get nothing but hogs upfront but it won't matter unless they figure out a way to slow him down in games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Cincy’s o-line is suspect. Just give them a healthy dose of Watt, Highsmith, Heyward and whoever else is up there. Chase can’t catch the ball if Burrow is still holding it as he goes down

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    No way you get a 10 overall pick for Claypool. Maybe on a new game show not designed yet called “Falling with the Stars”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    only way I make that trade is if we are resigning juju and Washington. Losing juju, Washington, and claypool would make our receiving corp pretty much worthless.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, it's a win/win with Rudolph. If he all of sudden learns how to play competent QB and Steelers make the playoffs, then we can roll with him for a few years. If Rudolph tanks... we can get top 10 pick and possible franchise QB in '23. Rudolph has been in the system since 2018, so he has the advantage over any journeyman FA QB.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Not being able to throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield proved our receiving corp pretty much worthless in games last year.

I still think Dobbs could beat out Haskins this year. I thought he had a shot last year going into the 2nd half of the 4th preseason game when Haskins had put up something like a 3.5 QB rating in the 1st half. Dobbs injury in that game might have saved Haskins a spot on the 53-man roster.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    fortunately that qb has retired

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm tired of the "players that know the system" line of thinking. Steelers use that excuse too much and end up resigning mediocre players because of it. Have you seen our offense? It's nothing special where you need a qualified expert.

11. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    my point is that Haskins, Dobbs, Mason have been through a training camp, pre-season, and a full season, they are familiar w the coaches, the schemes, the language, the guys... thats all that I meant... thre Steelers have invested in these guys for a couple of years esp. Mason and Dobbs; to bring in a first round pick who you are not even sure will beat out Mason is not worth it... I am looking for a guy to invest in and I just am not seeing that guy in this years QB class, I cld be wrong

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Agree but Borrows release time this year was off the charts. I believe it was like 2.1 or 2.3 seconds. That is crazy fast. As many times as he was sacked this year is only gonna help him read defensives even faster and just looking at the SB, he may not have won and Ben did in their second year in the league but he looked like a veteran who had been there many times. It maybe the chicken little in me and hopefully Watt and the boys can get home quickly. Not to mention that chase looked like the love child of Jerry Rice and Randy Moss at times. I just hope the steelers put an emphasis of slowing that combo down....

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Normally I would think yes and no to keeping players who know the system. For starters they can learn the system. For say a back up OL who isn’t going to get a lot of snaps but can play multiple positions, yes it’s good to have a plug and play guy who knows the system.

This year, with Canada finally being able to use his offense, and a new defensive coordinator, is there really a system?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    I don't know. Just being in the building and seeing the same people from doorman/security to atheletic trainers, and mostly same locker room, knowing daily routines... I think all favor Dobbs, Haskins, Mason. If we get a FA veteran that might be different due to his own experience in the NFL, but a rookie is at a disadvantage.

Also, if we traded up for a QB I dont think that QB would be a shoe-in to start. The rookie first has to beat out the other QBs on the roster. Can you imagine if Dobbs beats out some of these guys. Ridder, Corral, and Dobbs are about even if you ask me. Also, imagine if Mason was in this class, i think most people would say he would be in first round consideration. A Howell and Pickett i dont think wld automatically start over Mason even if Mason's tape last year is as bad as Ryan Clark says it is (lol)

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    The steelers would have to give their number one plus a reciever. Do you do it?

16. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Rather wait on Cj Shroud. He is about as sure of a thing as I've seen for awhile. If you're going to go all out for a pick its him. Most of us anticipate that Rudolph and Haskins will be as bad as we think they are so the Steelers may not have to give up anything to get him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Don't follow college ball but did Burrow's final year at LSU. Burrow beat the best of the best. He played against a lot of guys who got drafted into the NFL. He is the real deal and I knew it was going to be bad for the AFCN when he joined. Pickett, IMO, did not play against the quality of teams and players Burrow did. He is not a guaranteed so called franchise QB.

What gives me hope for the Steelers future is little things like Brady was a 6th rounder. There could be a find later in the draft. Also what gives me hope is QB's who were going to go to many SB's. Marino, Brees & Rodgers have a total of 3 together which equals that guy we had.

Way to early power rankings for 2022 have us at something like 27-28. How many of those talking heads predicted the Bengals would be in the SB?????

Gonna be an interesting draft and season for the Steelers. I predict at least 100 threads on Tomlin in 2022.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A team can’t hold out for one specific player in the next year’s draft. There are too many uncontrollable factors that will lead to draft position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it depends what they want on offense. like the ravens, they have two qb's that are similar in style. both can throw and both can run. what do we want? well, maybe not what we want but what does tomlin and canada want?

IF, they want willis and his running style, then we need a backup that has that same style. we can't put in one offense for one style and if he goes down we have to change the offense for our backup. no won't work.

mason and haskins are not running qb's. if willis is indeed the pick then dobbs is the closest to him. go after a marriota then. whatever they decide we have to match it up. i'm not real keen on this style but it has to match up to work.

if we intend on keeping mason and haskins then go after someone that can play in that setting offensively. more of a pickett or strong. even howell is closer to this style.

square pegs in round hole type of offensive thinking i believe will just create a mess and us grasping for qb's for the next 5 years and probably more. right now they seem like a kid in the toy store on his birthday and can't pick what he want's because there are too many choices. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It would still take more than that

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The latter aspect would be the most beneficial outcome for all. However, your latter premise is a mentality that simply does not exist with the Steelers anymore. For that matter, see Detroit, Miami, Jacksonville and Arizona for reference on how well tanking turns out; flashes in a pan to nothing to show for it I am afraid.

22. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    See the 4th down in the Super Bowl. Chase was wide open for the TD when Donald sacked him.

23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    My point exactly. If Ramsey can’t cover Chase we sure don’t have anyone who can. If that’s the case then make Burrow extremely uncomfortable before he gets the chance to scope the field

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He was that, but long term if they do not fix that line..and I mean fix, Burrow could easily go the way of Andrew Luck. Interesting that the only one first time losibg SB Qb has ever come back to win one, that was Elway. A lot of promising guys never made it back.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Better get a QB to throw to all these receivers.