1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are your choices as the Steelers best ever placekicker and punter?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He did, but eventually he became a really good punter.

He is the only one I can think of because, we really have not had good-to-great punters for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Your right he was good but man he could get bill mad in his younger coaching days. Loved that bill was a equal opportunity ass chewer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    If it were about just onside kicks, then Norm Johnson wins in a landslide. Not kidding, that guy had the one man onside kick perfected and down to a science. LOVED watching him kick and recover it himself.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    At the time, I dubbed it "an onside punt". I believe it happened a couple of times that year. The Immaculate Deflection! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember there was a tackle Norm made on a kick-off where he absolutely leveled the guy causing a fumble. I tried to find this exclusively, but here is a clip of a few of his highlights. At 56 seconds in you will see the tackle he had against the Ravens. They say during his time in Pittsburgh he was training Tae Kwon Do with Greg Lloyd.

• Like Like x 3
  6. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    That was a great tackle by Johnson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelersFan1234

SteelersFan1234 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Stenerud only made it in the Hall of Fame because he won a Superbowl and was in the NFL for 18 years

8. SteelersFan1234

SteelersFan1234 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Gary Anderson tops my list but Boswell has a long way to go before he catches up to Gary and take over Gary's spot though and Colquitt is the best punter

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I could agree, but kicking at Heinz vs 3 Rivers also has to be taken into consideration. You never want to hear from your kicker until.you need them, yet over 25 per cent of NFL games are decided in less than a TD. The playoffs this year demonstrated how much you can rely on that K. Boz had a bad year and took a pay cut because of it, but he certainly has redeemed himself. He is a top K in this league. Especially considering half the games are at heinz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Do you remember when the Steelers cut Norm because they wanted him tontajexacpay cut. His agent said no way without contacting Norm, only when he found out did he contact the team and said hey wait let's talk, lol. Can't remember the exact details, he was getting older and perhaps his options were limited, but still took the cut to stay with the team. Though I imagine still good money for playing a few snaps a game!

• Like Like x 1
  11. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1