1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, firing Brian Flores is what is working out so badly for the owner of the Dolphins.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Racism is a real thing and I have no doubt it’s reared it’s ugly head in times past in the NFL and in all walks of life. It’s repulsive! Equally repulsive are false accusations of racism and individuals who continue to stay mired in the victimhood mentality of the past in spite of the progress that’s been made. Brian Flores has been a beneficiary of that progress IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Yes because you should never fire a black coach right.... lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    There are people who have to bring race in everything. The Dolphins hired a biracial HC. (Not that it should matter) I love the hire. McDaniel is so weird and seems highly intelligent. I love the respect he gives the run game, how he used Samuel, and attention to zone blocking.

The Dolphins have hired coaches and staff from all different backgrounds. They clearly are not a racist organization. That doesn't matter to race baiters who are typically horrible people who need to see racists everywhere to feel better about themselves.

I consistently stated I wanted Tomlin fired and replaced with Leftwich as HC who would bring on Todd Bowles as DC. Not because they are black but because they are good hires. I hate that race is literally in every part of life in 2022 because racist people cannot ever stop talking about race.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    i was actually a little surprised the Dolphins fired Flores and initially thought he’d be a good hire for the Steelers’ DC job. Based on things I’m hearing and reading about him subsequent to his dismissal I understand why teams would have reservations about him leading their football team. Some coaches are good in supporting roles but when it comes to putting them in positions of actually developing the culture of the team and leading the men into battle they are not good fits. It has nothing to do with color and everything to do with inspirational leadership. When he filed his “woe is me” lawsuit that pretty much solidified my opinion of Flores. I hope his tenure in Pittsburgh works out and it may since he’ll be in a support role and he’s apparently a pretty good fundamentalist when it comes to coaching technique, something Tomlin relishes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Hiring Flores is basically the same move as the Dwayne Haskins acquisition. Tomlin is giving a guy another chance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What happens to olsavsky?:cool:

8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I had a bad opinion of Flores before his lawsuit. I called him out weeks ago. I initially wanted to know why he was fired after a great finish. Through some quick research I found that Flores hated his QB, Tua T. (Flores not giving a chance to a minority QB is fine by his standards but wants the world for himself as a minority HC)

That is why Flores was fired: he is poison to his own coaching staff and players. He went through 4 offensive coordinators in 3 seasons (good luck rookie minority QB learning a new system every year behind a bad OL).

Useful idiots will carry Flores' water. They say he wanted desperately to draft Justin Herbert. They need to fulfill Flores as a powerless victim who couldn't take the QB he wanted. A) Flores could not even be bothered to attend Herbert's pro day (but did for Penei Sewell a year later) B) Flores had almost total roster control and the Dolphins ate massive losses on trades to get rid of players Flores didn't want.

People have a narrative that satisfies their own ego. FormerScribe can feel superior to someone like myself who is not progressive. The facts just get in the way. Scribe will believe that Flores wanted Herbert above anything else; but also that Flores not even doing the bare minimum to scout Herbert isn't evidence that Flores lied about wanting Herbert. By Flores' own accusations his owner was pushing him to find a QB other than Tua whether Brady, Watson or Burrow. It is Flores' own assertion that his owner was the one pushing for a franchise QB! Scribe will still believe Flores wanted Herbert (who has never won a playoff game or even been in one) and if he had Herbert he would have won the Super Bowl.

I agree with you 100% that I find Flores damaging the organization that made him a HC disgraceful. The Dolphins and the Raiders might be the two teams that have given more opportunity to minority coaches and FO than any other. Why try to hurt a team that is already giving opportunities to minorities other than for selfish reasons?!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    How is that working out? Is Haskins going to even be QB 3 next year?

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That is if you believe Tomlin actually hired him. You know like how Tomlin hired Todd Haley. We don't know who is actually pulling the strings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    i think you are really making alot of assumptions on things you can’t possibly know. The guy has had success and been around some great coaching. The dolphins franchise has been a disaster long before he came. There’s obviously more to that whole story than any of us know. He’s over qualified for this job and actually more qualified to be HC than anyone on our staff. He has better credentials than Tomlin did.

I think he’s a great hire. Time will tell. I suspect if there’s any improvement out of the defense he’ll be snagged as a dc or hc . Your strong opinion seems a bit personal without actual facts to support it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    That's unfortunate news.

I do enjoy the responses in this thread though. Tomlin finally hires a strong minded coach, with a proven track record, and folks find a reason to hate it lol. Lots of good laughs reading some comments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will admit before asking this that I really haven't given this topic much thought before now and probably won't in the near future either but I was under the impression that the class action lawsuit he brought against the league for racial discrimination was separate from his own claims of what went on with the Dolphins as well as his experiences interviewing with the Broncos in the past as well as the Giants this year. The class action suit being able to enter into the record his treatment by clubs in the league.

My understanding of the Dolphins situation currently was a continuation of the Gase fiasco where they hired a strong minded coach who did fit what management and ownership were trying to do. That he butted heads with them over personnel decisions and possibly a suggestion that he make an effort to lose in order to improve the teams draft status. Is he claiming racism is why he was fired? I thought he was fired because he wouldn't do what he was told to do by management.

15. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    going by who hates the pick, makes me feel pretty good about it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I will add that Miami may be the most diverse city in the country. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How so

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Not sure if this has been posted here but I found it an interesting statement by Tomlin. When asked about his hiring of minority candidates He defended his hiring practices by saying he believes doing what is best for the team. So he believes in hiring from within.. Here's his statement:

I asked Tomlin if he thought maybe he could do more to help the situation. He had not had a Black coordinator on his staff in his first 14 seasons with the Steelers. He had just interviewed Black coaches Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton for his offensive coordinator’s job but ended up promoting quarterbacks coach Matt Canada.

“I always do what is best for our organization,” Tomlin said. “I believe in hiring from within in most cases …

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    And then his suspension will begin.

Watson has yet to be suspended for a single game. All last year he was a member of the 53 man team for Houston that was simply inactive on gameday; He got paid for every game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am assuming that eventually the NFL is going to suspend him. And I would guess it would be a 1 year suspension considering how many different women are involved.

22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct

10 active criminal cases being investigated for sexual assault.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The more time he would be out of football would lessen the chance of his return
    I think this is great stand of saying, get a great coach and maybe some picks and also saying we won't let this talent slip away from the NFL.

I love the hire. What he had done in Miami and that turn around in year 2 was remarkable. I do wonder how minkah likes it though. Wasn't there some pushback between the two?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And here you are

23. Synthrax

Synthrax Member

Oct 16, 2016
    I actually think this a good hire even though he isn't DC. It'll put pressure on Austin to do well or else there's a potential replacement in the building already. I'm also not sure he'll get head coaching opportunities anytime soon because of the lawsuit. So, he might be around awhile.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Dolphins owner could be forced to sell because he offered to pay the coach money to lose games. IF those allegations are true then he should be forced to sell. That is not Flores' fault.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nearly 70 percent of players in the NFL are black. At one point this offseason, the league was down to one black head coach. You seriously don't see that race is still an issue when it comes to hiring general managers and head coaches?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1