1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic 2022 QB Options

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yes, I am going on the proposed theory.... there is a good chance Bud won't net them that.
    I hope they make all the right moves.
    What has always impressed me with the Steelers is that every year they get raped by the other teams in free agency, and still manage to piece something together.
    We shall see. :)

2. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Jimmy G - Another inductee, along with Ryan Tannehill, into the Kirk Cousins HOF.

Hard ****ing pass. No way I want to waste a few years finding out what SF took 5 years to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The board is going to explode when Pittsburgh trades for Jimmy G lmao

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres almost zero chance of that unless the whole mobile QB thing is a smokescreen. I think glass in his ass Ben may be more mobile than Jimmy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    RE: Trading for Jimmy G.
    I can say, quite factually, that Washington is trying to line up a deal there - hard.
    Jimmy has the "No Trade" Claus and wants to go to winner, so Washington would have to offer the sun, moon and stars..
    Pittsburgh could have an edge there, easily.

As I said on another thread, Jimmy lowered his value with so-so Playoff performances.

Re: Pittsburgh, I expect them not to trade.
    I expect they will go with Mason, maybe sign a Free Agent vet and focus on grabbing upgrades on the Offensive Line and Defensive Backs.
    I also expect that if a guy like

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The only "trade" QB I would be super happy about would be if Kyler Murray was indeed available (dont actually believe he is). We were probably gonna spend a 1st round pick on a QB in the next couple drafts anyways, so why not offer up a couple of firsts and some other add-ins to see if that gets it done. You at least know you'll be getting a sure thing.

I'd be totally fine paying Murray like a top QB, he has great mobility, is an excellent passer. It would make a lot of sense.

I'll pass on Jimmy G., Aaron Rodgers, etc. Russell and Cousins would both be great options, but ultimately not worth what we would have to give up I would assume.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Kyler Murray is an overrated *****. That's a no from me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kyler Murray is excellent. I don't care if he is a jerk or whatever your *'s mean. He's a top 10 QB, he's young, he's mobile. I'd be extremely happy to have him for the next decade plus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    It said female dog because that's what he is. He's 5'8" and has always been a diva. I don't think he's anywhere near excellent. You're welcome to believe that, of course. I wouldn't take him if he "just" cost money. I know we need a QB but I don't want that whiny midget.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just hope they stay away from Winston and his torn ACL.

I have been saying all along that I would love to see the Steelers make a trade for Watson, but I think Houston screwed themselves by not activating him last year. This would have forced the league to suspend him for regular season games in 2021. So, right now he has been suspended for ZERO games.

I think both Winston and Watson will be watching more games than they play in 2022.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Man.... I would totally agree if He was a little bit bigger. I still can't get the picture of TJ tossing him like a sack of potatoes....one armed...while being blocked. He's been injured every year like Jimmy G. Otherwise I agree He has all the tools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'm with you on Kyler Murray. He is not available even though he stunk it up when the pressure was on, Zona is not giving up on him yet.
    Cousins I liked in Washington (and he is a friend) and he got a lot of dirt on him that was unwarranted. Washington fans think he is a selfish loser, but the Vikings issues are not at QB; that defense was really bad.
    Russell seems to want out of Seattle, which is strange. I don't get what is going on there. I don't know if Seattle would let him loose but that's a good pickup.

I still think in the end, they will sign a Free Agent QB, and draft somewhere along the lines I mentioned. The #52 is the one to watch.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Is it realistic that Minnesota would trade Cousins?

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Minnesota's new Head Coach (to Be) Kevin O'Connell (a guy I know well) likes Cousins a lot.
    Cousin's cap hit is $45 mil... something I would not trade for and certainly not one Cousin's can live up to.
    Minnesota were fools to outbid themselves in that negotiation.
    I think Kevin keeps him there and they re-negotiate a cap friendly contract, maybe knocking his cap hit down to around $25/30 mil range.
    No doubt he could run this Pittsburgh Offense - He has a quick release and will put the ball in places to allow the rec'rs to make a play.
    But I can't see Pittsburgh make such a deal.

15. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Couldn’t imagine Kyler Murray playing well outdoors in the winter. Hard Pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    KM is a backup within 5 years. I’d rather have Jimmy G as a stop gap until the next franchise QB comes along, so long as we don’t give too much for him.

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Last year? Yes. But after the performance he had this year, no.

And I like the Colts aggressiveness here of not waiting until his contract is up to move on instead of a certain unnamed NFL franchise.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Steelers are quite enamored with Malik Willis now and I would fully expect them to take him in first round unless another team saves the Steelers from themselves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    He was decent this year apart from 3 utterly disastrous performances where he cost them wins. 27/7 TD/INT, most of his numbers are better than you’d think. But when he is bad he is very very bad. Colts have seen enough anyway it seems.

I’d agree that this is the right move for them, what a disaster that trade turned out to be. Eagles must be thanking their lucky stars they were able to offload his contract and get a valuable pick back in return.

21. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    He's decent most of the time but apparently he's a moron or something. It's so frustrating watching him play when he's having one of those games. Is there any hope he matures mentally before his physical skills leave him? Possible but I wouldn't bet on it. For cheap, yeah, I'd probably take him but I think he's fool's gold at this point. He's likely better than Haskins or the legend of Josh Dobbs but that's it. A perfect example of how hard it is to play QB in the NFL or project anyone's future or anything else. I thought he was the next Big Ben in 2017 when he was in the MVP conversation. So much for that.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    He is damaged goods for sure. If the colts cut him he will probably get a modest deal as a backup somewhere. I wouldn’t hate it for the Steelers as long as the money was right.

23. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I'd rather take a chance on Wentz than waste valuable picks on Jimmy G or overpay Cousins... They're all about the same caliber of QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Heard on SiriusXM NFL radio this morning that Colt McCoy could be had for $2 million a year.

David Diehl seems to be a really smart football guy.
    His insight to the game is some of the best I’ve heard.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't really care much for this year's class. Even still, I feel a lot of teams are going to reaching to snag one. Could be a good opportunity t trade down a little bit and snag more 2nd and 3rd rounders.

I'd like to see the OL and DL addressed. And probably WR if Washington and JuJu are gone.

Someone like Tyrod Taylor or Gardner Minshew for short-term fix at QB while the new pieces gel

If one of the QBs falls into the 2nd round, maybe take a flyer on them