1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson possible contract demands

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me neither!

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like both DJ,and Juju.
    We should keep at least one, but remember this....every year the draft has loads of good - great Wrs....if You have a Qb 2 get the ball 2 them.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers will pay and it will be a bargain to lock him up at that price because he’s only getting better.

He’s gotten better every year, saw his drops go down from 14 to 4.

His receiving yards go up every year.

His TD’s go up every year.

All with either a washed Ben or Rudolph/Duck combination throwing him the ball and hasn’t benefited from having an AB across from him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah… but look at Green Bay in recent years. Other than Adams, they have nobody that isn’t 100% made by Rodgers, but let him down against the best defenses. They invested 2nd rounders in Adams in ‘14 and Cobb in ‘11, and have not spent much more than late rounders. They also haven’t signed any real WR talent in free agency. You can’t just plug ok guys in and expect the QB to turn them into studs. I know you’re hyper critical of Rodgers, but he doesn’t have much to throw to when defenses are able to pressure him and take away Adams.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I'm very critical of Rodgers, but I believe in His talent I just believe He's more worried about Himself, and His stats then actually winning anything. If Winning comes along with Him building His stats then that's all in the good. He reminds me of a lot of Wrs. They want their catches, yards,and tds whether they win or not.
    Did You watch that last game of A. Rodgers. They broke a lot down. He had guys open, but wouldn't throw 2 them.
    Sorry didn't mean 2 make this about Rodgers. LoL.

I believe most Wrs, about 92% are products of their Qbs.
    There is a reason AB would simply disappear when Ben wasn't playing. No matter who was taking His(Bens) spot.
    Different Qbs see the field differently. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What? lazard, st.brown, amari rodgers, tonyan, two of the best RB's in the league, cobb, marcedes lewis, losing tonyan hurt them. still, not a bad bunch along with a pretty good defense and o-line. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    St. Brown, Lazard, an aging Cobb…. I rest my case. Amari Rogers has some upside, but he’a still developing. We’re talking about guys who are below average #3 receivers taking turns trying out for the #2 role. Compare that to what Burrow has to work with in addition to his #1 Chase, and what Stafford has to work with in addition to his #1 Kupp. Not even close.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    lazard had 8 TD's this year, just as many as DJ. 60 targets 40 catches. in 15 games. diontae had 169 targets 107 receptions. same amount of TD's and 16 games. ones a number 1 and one is , as you say not much. cobb had 39 targets 28 receptions and still had 5 TD's. tonyan had 2 in 8 games. as i said he missed him. he had 11 last year for them. aaron jones had 65 targets with 52 receptions and 6 TD's. that's without his big gun and all the catches and TD's he had. 169- 123 and 11 TD's. that wasn't a great year either. he had 18 TD's last year. DJ ain't even close to those types of numbers. there were plenty of weapons for rodgers.

well after kupp i don't think it's much better. not abetter RB let alone two of them. not a better TE. pretty good defense too uhmmm aaron donald. you and i went around about him being drafted here.

as for burrow, yes he has some weapons but not the defense or the o-line. give somewhere take somewhere. these two are playing for the trophy so they are pretty good. different ways to get to the dance.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Lazard had Rodgers throwing him the ball, not washed up Ben. Lazard also benefited from playing opposite Adams. Several years back Jericho Cotchery had 10 TD receptions from Ben despite being the 3rd option. It didn’t mean that he was a great receiver.

Your narrative against DJ is just flat out wrong. He’s a quality NFL receiver who gets open with regularity. If we can find a QB who can actually deliver him the ball consistently, he’ll shine. Maybe not like one of $20-25 million/year guys, but he’s easily worth $15 million/year in today’s inflated market.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    What doesn't make sense? 1) I don't believe there should be a salary cap, my opinion. Every team should be free to spend their money however they choose, regardless how foolishly. 2) The players should have the right to negotiate their contracts with no restrictions on what they ask for, regardless how greedy, my opinion. But, I don't believe anyone should make $50,000,000 a year to play a sport. Again my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Like I said, DJ has been statistically superior to Juju every year he has been in the league. That is not an opinion. If you remember, the first two years (while similar to Dj's first few years) people were SUPER hype on Juju being the next big thing and the #1 of the future in Pittsburgh, and truthfully, it was rightfully so. However, the next three seasons have been injury plagued and regressions, so his value has dropped. Had he been up for contract after year two, Juju very easily could've gotten a similar deal (% of cap wise) to DJ's current demands. But he didn't his contract years were below his previous performances, or like this season, injury shortened. DJ has been on an upward trajectory in every season. Remember, DJ is top 10 in receptions, yards, targets, T-12 in TD's among WR's... in 15-1/2 games.

I never said I wanted to dump Juju, I'd love to have him back (and honestly think we should). He is a very good player. However, he wont command the same salary demands in the open market (due to statistical facts, style of play, and current career trajectories). Dj should be in the 15-16 million a year and Juju should be in the 8-10 million a year. It is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if we get that QB, we may not need that 15-17 million dollar receiver. our QB that can get him the ball can get cheaper guys the ball too. DJ is good but not a guy that takes over games. i'd keep him for 8-10 mil. a year maybe even 11-12 but 15 or over , nope see ya. 8-12 is a huge raise for him. 4-6 million will get you another player at a different position of need. he's not a must have. :cool:

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That’s because of the cap and the way the NFL distributes revenue. If there was no cap the method in which revenue is shared would probably also go out the window since it would no longer make sense. The NFL would quickly become MLB, cities like Pittsburgh and Green Bay would be small market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The market sets the value for players. Like it or not a WR of DJ’s caliber is going to get paid. The only way to replace him with a player of similar capability without paying that kind of money is to draft and develop and hope to hell that you drafted a guy who is going to be good as you think he’s going to be. That player will not be available in free agency unless it’s a guy who has never produced and your coaches find a way to get him going. That’s not unprecedented, but it’s uncommon enough to be a crap shoot at best. Bottom line: very few NFL receivers get separation like DJ. Having a guy who gets separation will be particularly important for a young, newly drafted QB..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You are not kidding these contracts are insane! Totally out of control! Football I understand to a degree because one play can change everything the way it did with Ryan Shazier. Need some sort of insurance policy to be sure you are taken care of. I never read or saw anything this, but I'm guessing the NFL has some sort of disability policy, so players are covered. Now baseball I've always said I would play on my current salary which I'm sure is far below the league minimum. Just having the opportunity to play a game I love every day? No question, count me in!

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

there is the market worth and the team worth and i just don't see them as the same in this instance. not with minkah looming and being in this same boat with claypool next year. with the line like it is and the secondary and ILB spot in need, that's more then i would pay for him. we only have 32 mil., and i can't see giving DJ half of it. :cool:

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We can clear much more space than that, 32 is just what we have as things stand right now. There's almost zero chance we go into FA with just 32 million dollars. Plus we don't know if Tuitt will ever be back so there's a chance we get another 9 mil from just him. Besides, with guaranteed money and deals tending to be a bit backloaded, I'm sure and extension that includes his final year this year would make it so his cap charge is much lower than 16 mil in 2022. Or we can keep him at his current price this year and have him at the higher cap next year. Either way we aren't looking at anything resembling a 16 mil 2022 cap charge for DJ. Plus its a pretty easy choice if we are forced to choose between Claypool ad DJ. DJ is a far superior receiver to Chase at this point in time.

It makes too much sense to extend him. Barring targeting a first round WR this year, I would say it would almost be negligence not to. We have no other proven threats at the position. Pretty much all of the last 8 teams in the playoffs have a proven #1. Kupp, Samuel, Chase, Diggs, Hill, Evans, Adams.... Just the Titans are without one and AJ Brown is close. Old Julio Jones isn't that anymore. DJ put up statistically similar numbers to most of those guys listed and he did that on a team that literally couldn't move the ball all freaking year. He's not quite on the level of every player listed, but he is a true #1 threat. We can't just sign a bunch of nobodies to play WR and hope we find a QB good enough to make it work for us. Our best offenses were LOADED with WR talent. Absolutely loaded. We now are pretty bare and you want us to just let our best guy walk because his (fair) asking price is too rich?

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, and disagree.
    I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but don't you remember Ab disappearing whenever Ben was out games???
    I believe 6 different Qbs played with AB here, and not one td from any of them, but Ben.
    Ab could separate (like a big dog) , but different Qbs see the field differently. Now I believe if Mason was playing DJ would still flourish, or maybe even Haskins, and Dobbs (because they've been here with him, and that's not even a sure thing), but if You bring in a new Qb ....well there is the real chance DJ disappears. This is not a knock on DJ, but on How a Qb sees the field.
    Hope I'm making sense. LoL

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My initial thought is no way. However, he actually did have a great season. Sadly, his numbers were overshadowed by a less than stellar offense.

His stats improved in every category with 2021 being his best year. (I know this is an ugly copy and paste, but here are his stats)
    Year
    Team
    REC
    YDS
    AVG
    LNG
    TD

PIT

PIT

PIT

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Just one year ago DJ was third in TDs amongst the WRs on this team. Claypool had 11 and juju 9. Both more then dj had in his best year, this year. So now he's a must have and the other two are don't need? Wow. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DJ is the only one of those three that can get separation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That don't make him all of a sudden worth 15-17 million a year if he's not getting in the EZ.:cool:

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DJ had 8 TDs last season, that's 4 times as many as Claypool had :shrug:.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and the last two years it 15 DJ and 13 claypool. one year shouldn't mean a jump in pay like he wants. that's a million dollars or more a TD. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 2