1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan Named GM

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m sure Riddick is very knowledgeable and who knows, maybe he would be a good hire but I just prefer someone with with more experience. He hasn’t worked in a front office in about a decade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree he hasn't worked in a front office in a long time. I don't have time today, but I should probably go back and research his mock drafts and see how those drafts played out. Even mock drafts though are to get clicks, so a guy include some crazy picks to get clicks.

3. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012

4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn’t Karl Joseph on the squad now?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Only after Tomlin drafts his son!

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Couple things.

Brandon Hunt is the natural selection. He's worked with Colbert for some time and should have absorbed some of that knowledge.
    Colbert has had quite a career with 2 for sure HoF players, and 2-3 potential players.

The issue then becomes, Director of Pro Scouting.

For me, I want to know everything about a Pro Player that I might be writing a big check to as I I want him to fit in the system, and not be an enabler of club Med, where high priced vets collect a paycheck before sailing off into the horizon.
    Same with College scouting.

I've seen the worst of GM work or lack thereof (Washington) and that can destroy a franchise.

7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Right. The down side of promoting from within: the hole it leaves elsewhere. We need a DB coach now. If Hunt moves up, we'll need a DPS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It took me at least 21 times to read and digest what you wrote, there's a little bit of distraction with your posts. :lolol:
    Yes, after lasts years cleavage, er, changes, I thought maybe the worst was over and we would have to just figure out how to replace Ben.
    Such is life in the NFL.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Riddick's biggest plus is probably bringing an outsider's perspective to an organization that needs it. I'm not sure GM is the position to immediately plug that into, but I see the value. The fact that he hasn't been in a FO position in quite some time doesn't bother me that much. A little, but not a lot. He's actually probably been exposed to a lot of different schools of thought by not being on the inside which is something that the internal candidates can't bring.

I also wouldn't put too much into Riddick's mock draft from a few years ago. Let's consider what mock drafts are supposed to do. They're people's predictions of how the draft will turn out, not who they think should be drafted or which players will turn pan out the best. In short, its a pundit's evaluation of teams' FO as much as anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd take Hunt over Riddick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, he was smart enough not to pick Artie Burns in the first round. :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I really hope they hire Joe Buck. That guy has seen a lot of football and can probably have Troy Aikman as the assistant GM.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw that too, Wiki says he is a free agent.

It's a shame we could get him on the field. A whole bunch of trouble for nothing.

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not want Riddick, but the mock draft argument is pretty

15. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Was this a mock of what he thought would be best for teams or most likely? That plays a big difference in mock draft evaluations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The more I think about it, the more I want this to be an outside hire. Going from a pro scout to a GM for Hunt, I think there's gonna been a big learning curve versus someone who's already in a FO already. And if Khan a bean counter gets the job then they're f'ed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I hope it's Tony Romo or Chris Collinsworth. Pittsburgh would love that.

18. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I had asked this question after I saw your post, then I deleted it, and now I'm about to ask it again. Maybe I should get clarity on something first. Are you saying he gets in based upon his entire body of work with the Steelers, including GM?? Or are you saying he gets in just off his track record as a GM by itself?? Not saying you're right or wrong...but if you think Colbert makes it into the HOF just based off his track record of GM ALONE...I'm just curious, why do you believe that??

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I do not want Riddick...The one who said Josh Allen would be a bust and Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen would be Stars! You want that Guy!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The Mike Mayock experiment didn't work out.
    I have to admit, personally I take some joy in his failure... he and I clashed at the NFL meetings back in 2000 (Las Vegas). Arrogant SOB.
    Vendetta's aside:

Riddick was in Washington for a while (2001- 2007) and those were not good years.
    So, I'd pass, though I like him much better.

I saw that they might go with 'shared duties' GM's.
    That one bothers me some too.
    Unless it they are doing something like bringing in a Vet GM at the end of his career to kind of help Hunt along.
    But that doesn't make sense as Hunt has been 10 years under a very good GM in Colbert.

Football news is slow this time of year, so anything is a little inflated.
    I feel like the Rooney's will end the speculation soon - though there is no hurry, especially if they are going to go with Hunt.

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Still think at the end of the day they make Brandon Hunt Director of Football Operations, and Omar Kahn gets some head title role such Director of Football Finances.

Essential a dual manager role, with no general manager title. This is not uncommon this is the way it used to be before that finally gave Kevin Colbert a title of GM.

Director of Football Operations was what Kevin Colbert was for a long time, as was Tom Donahoe before Kevin Colbert came aboard.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think they would name a GM while Colbert is still here which rules out anyone like Dodd or some of the other candidates since the draft is still a couple months away.

Someone like Riddick could certainly be kept waiting though. I’d rather it be Hunt.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Per many media guys, the Steelers requested to interview the Colts main scout Morocco Brown. I'm starting to think that the next GM will be from the outside.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I'm kind of straddling the fence.
    If they are in fact planning on Hunt, then it makes sense to wait.
    If they are hunting outside, maybe it would be a good thing to name him and work the background.
    If they are planning on hiring a 'mentor' so to speak.. then for sure wait. (I think this is a long shot)
    But, you have a good point as well.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I remember reading recently that Colbert may not be 100% retired. Could he stick around in a limited consulting role and maintain the ongoing mentorship of Hunt?

• Like Like x 1