1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Absolutely not.

He went 43/74 for 535, 2 TD and 3 INT in the playoffs this year. If you watched the games, you know that INT number could easily be much higher.

All of this was with one of the best offensive minds in the game at head coach. These stats are peak Jimmy G.

I wouldn't want him as a free agent, let alone someone we have to give up a pick for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i think they will. some good offers, that is. I guess we will see....

3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am still on the side of run with Mason and build the Offensive Line. Mason may not be the best, but it would give us a way better opportunity to gauge the next franchise QB. We can throw any QB behind a hapless line and think one may be better than the other. However, if we have a sturdy line with Najee running behind it and then add a QB with serious skills, we may just be that force to reckoned with the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mason is a bit of a mystery.
    Coming out of Oklahoma State where he didn't play under center and didn't have the pass rush to face, I figured he would need a time to develop.
    He was a big play kind of guy there.
    Throws a nice long ball, but in the NFL you don't get WR's running wide open a lot.
    He doesn't have the big arm, but can make any NFL throw.
    He has 10 starts, they didn't provide any glimpse as to what might be.

I like what Tomlin said, 'neither are what I consider everyday starters' with a laugh.
    He's right.

I think the Steelers could survive with Mason, and maybe grab a top QB in 2023.
    Not my favorite plan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You hit it on the head. We have never been a QB plug and play offense, especially since Ben showed up. Many point to Batch being the best back-up we had. I won't disagree with that as he did win most of his games. However, it was not the same game plan we had with Ben. When Mason started after Ben got hurt in 2019, he showed plenty of promise in those games against the Seahawks, 49ers, Bengals, and the Ravens (the knock-out game). We were competitive in each of those games. After he was knocked out against the Ravens, he was not the same that season. I think he was rushed back too soon. When he got the start in the final game against the Browns in 2020, he balled out and was close to us winning that game. Now all those games were behind a better than average O-Line (I say better than average as the decline was beginning). This year against the Lions, it was not the best game in a Canada offense behind a patchwork O-Line, but Mason put up the same numbers Ben had been putting up all season long. Yes, it ended in a tie, would the outcome have been any different if Ben played? Maybe,... maybe not. Ben may have even lost that game for us. Bottom line,... Mason and Haskins are not Ben Roethlisberger. Unless Pickens falls into our lap, I say run with Mason. No matter who the starter is next season the most loved QB will be the one not on our Roster.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    He's not worth the ask. I put him on a level of Neil O'Donnell. Good but not great. He's too inconsistent to be a franchise QB. Plus he gets injured a lot. That won't improve as he ages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Was listening to Locked on NFL today, one of the hosts is a huge 49ers fan, said he expected them to get a second round pick for Jimmy G. I’d be surprised if they do given his contract situation

8. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Jimmy G would make sense if the Steelers were built to win now. Jimmy G makes Denver a playoff team for example.

We need a QB that can score 40 points every game in the playoffs because that's what the defense gives up.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A very honest assessment imo. O have no delusions that MR is going to light it up, but those who just dismiss him on the few instances he played are also neglecting to realize he had line and run game. Sure there are a couple of QBs worthy to look at, but the cost both in draft capital and Cap dollars just do not make sense where this team is at right now. Im.not against bringing in a Vet for competition, but you really have nothing more than already failed experiments. Someone may catch fire. But what you have seen is most likely what you get.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    1. No one knows what the ask is.

2. Average to above average is correct.

3. The QB in 2022 probably is not going to be a franchise QB. Some teams have never had a franchise QB. People that Think they are just going to replace Ben with "the guy" are nuts.

4. Sometimes the goal is as simple as getting a guy to man the ship until you find the next guy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I’m reading an article apparently the Steelers are interested in Jimmy G. It says the asking price is a second round pick or a third round pick and a player. With what we have I’d take him. We have a decent team and I think he’s better than our team options. Now if there’s someone better then maybe I’m not for it but I don’t see the Steelers FO going after a Rodgers or Wilson. They are way to expensive.

12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think you have some good points.
    So, there is a good argument for standing pat this year.
    None of the college QB's are Lawerance or Burrows but 2023 promises a couple that could be.
    A year to prove it for Mason is not out of the question - but how do you do it?

Play solid defense - Steelers 'typically' do just that.
    Run the ball well - Steelers 'typically do that also.

So that would put all the focus on Free Agency and the draft to find OL, LB and DB's.
    Then make a move in 2023 for the QB of the future.

I liked Mason as a prospect. I was there in Ok for a few games to see his games.
    He's fallen short of my expectations, but not a complete write off - yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Garoppolo has a no trade clause. Unless he's moved to a serious contender or gets an extension in the process, he's going to force the 49ers to keep or cut him.

He's not going to play out his last contract year for the Giants or, ahem, us, and crash his value before going into free agency.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well… we made the playoffs despite a slew of injuries and an aging QB who Garappalo can look at and say “I can do way better.” I know that last season was a failure by our standards as fans, but a QB looking for a landing spot is likely to see taking over the Steelers as a big opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Not with that offensive line if they value their life.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They were doing a poll at the Pro Bowl of what coach you would want to play for the most, yup, you guessed it, Tomlin.

The perception of this team/coach that is prevalent on this board isn’t in sync with reality. The Steelers are still thought of as a top notch organization and Tomlin is widely considered one of the best coaches in the league.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Derek Carr would be the best fit for Steelers, IMO. If we're talking about starting caliber QBs...and being realistic. Steelers ain't gonna get Rodgers, Watson or Wilson.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Raiders are probably not moving on from Carr. From what I’m reading, McDaniel wants Carr.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A trade with a new contract in place would work.

20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With that salary and a 1 year lease, the only way you give up a 3rd round pick is if they give the player and a 4th round pick.

Their unloading to me is much like the Rams unloading Goff. They need to pay a team to take him.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not so sure of that.
    Outside of about 5 players ....that 49ers roster is better than ours in almost every position....Outside of the five I hinted at. That's 17 better, or better experienced players. Don't believe Me go from our roster of this past season...against theirs.
    Now I know this can change, but He doesn't know if it will, or how much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Agree. Mason will probably end up playing quite a bit of the season anyway if they don't upgrade the OL as any QB they bring in is going to be hurting few games into the seaon. Any top QB is going to think twice before coming here with that OL anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    With one year left he's worthy of a six round pick tops.

They won't take that so either let him be released or deal with him being traded elsewhere else. Way overrated.

I bet $100 fiction dollars they draft one and roll with Mason. With being in desperation mode they might get a free agent cast off veteran for an insurance policy come draft day.

• Like Like x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Perception, and reality are never the same . Either good , or bad.
    Though Perception is 90% of most peoples reality.
    So You could say ....Me being the Devils advocate for a second.....that the outside Perception of Tomlin is therefore not the reality of the actual situation. :shrug:
    This is not a shot at Tomlin. You know I'm on the fence about Him.

25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Jimmy G could see this teams as a contender.

There are 2 schools of thought.
    First there is the trade scenario. I think Jimmy would be OK with Tomlin and the Steelers. They are not a desolate as some seem to think.
    Problem: He's going to cost some draft capital that could be used to keep him upright or get him some weapons. Additionally, I know for a fact Washington wants to get in the bidding. Problem for them is that they are NOT and contender.

Second there is the go with Mason line of logic. This allows the Steelers to grab one of those OT's at 20 and maybe another at 52. (84, 137, 223 and 239 are left to look for others)
    I feel like that is what they do. They may grab one of the lesser FA vets out there to maybe shore up.