1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need for Some Mobility at QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Jan 31, 2022.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    SD chargers game? :smiley1::cool:

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The whole reason (usually....key word )was added :thumbs_up:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You are correct, we tend to defend running QBs well. I’d say a big difference in the Chargers game was that they were plays that broke down and Herbert took off as opposed to designed runs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Correct, and We seemed 2 be playing a man under scheme during those times as well. Which didn't make sense IMO. I was like have You coaches not watched Herbert play????

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    we can only hope.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

big reason for a lot of failures on defense is our inside linebackers. used way too much in coverage duties and you will have such things as this. they don't play the run well as it is and then you have running with receivers and not looking at the qb. i still think this is and has been one of our major problems for a long time. the middle of the field is a playground for opposing offenses. add the usage of our OLB'ers and two down linemen having to rush the passer to get enough pressure and we create a huge void in the middle of the field. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I don't want a QB who can't run at least as well as Mahomes does, he doesn't gave to be vintage Mike Vick with his legs, but I cannot watch any more Steeler football (much as I loved 7)where if there's no-one open the play is always dead.

The statue QB era is over.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    How bout find a qb who can read a defense and throw accurately.

Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are mobile and athletic but can't throw accurately consistently. Lamar because he's not a good thrower. Kyle because he can't see above the line being 5'8.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As 2 of the least Mobile Qbs face off in the SB, and the Sb last year was won by the least Mobile in the league.
    Yeah it's over. LoL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    Yeah that's great if you can find another statur as good as 12 - good luck with that.

LOL? You think Burrow can't run?

Stafford and his ilk are the past, not the future, but if you want to be hamstrung by a statue who can't run for a 1st down every now and again then ok.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Right so it is impossible to find someone who can run for a 1st down and read a defense and throw accurately?

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess You think Peyton Manning was mobile then??? He has ran for more yards in two different seasons than Burrows has in either of His two.:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ya, but usually those get picked 1st overall in the draft. Are the Steelers planning to trade up for that?

14. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I'm with you on that. I personally want a pass first run as last option qb. A qb that can read defenses, go through progressions and check downs and find the wide open guy. Can take off and scramble if need be but is more about avoiding the tackles in a small area with their awareness like ben used to be able to do. Favre was good at it too. Just a little shuffle here and side step there making defenders miss behind the line line then hitting the open receiver...kinda like avoiding sacks in a phone booth. Plus he's got to develop into a good leader as well but that goes without saying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Ehh let's wait and see what Lamar looks like when he's getting paid market value, and the Ravens can't load up at every other position.

$2.4 mil a year for his first 4 was the steal of the century.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Are you serious? Burrow is a much better athlete than Peyton ever was. The tape tells you that.

17. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Where were Mahomes and Josh Allen picked? high but not #1 overall.

18. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Why does everyone assume that when you want a QB that can run for a 1st down, has somne athelticism, that they want a running QB from the Mike Vick mold?

It's not Lamar Jackson OR or a statue pocket passer. QB's do not fall into two strict types...

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm seriously saying just because You can....doesn't mean You do. I'm seriously saying Peyton Manning has rushed in 2 different years for more tds, and yards then Burrow has in any of His 2 years.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is why I'm not on the Malik bandwagon.

Great everything right, but can the guy do the two most important things?

1) read defenses going through progressions

2) use 'mobility' to evade the pass rush and extend the play with intent of finding a target to throw to.

Having a RB play QB is great and all but we want people to fear the arms more than the legs.

I feel Malik is going to end up being a bust as a franchise QB. I question is ability to adjust to the speed mentally at the NFL level.

Get me a QB that can read defenses and move within the pocket to evade the pass rush over your 4.3 40 time that wants to run QB option plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  22. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kyler's issues are not from his arm talent. His overall lack of height and size greatly decrease his overall effectiveness. Lamar's issues are much of the same since his MVP season in 2019; staring down Mark Andrews in either crunch time or in the RZ. Pittsburgh actually picked up on this in 2019.... it was just that Mason got clocked by ET III that cost the team the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh boy… I’m not sure there’s much to see here. It’s just a player wanting a contract extension, and his agent probably told him to do this as part of showing the team that he’s serious.

• Like Like x 1