1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If they are truly zeroed in on “mobility” then I’d cut Haskins and Rudolph, keep Dobbs, bring in a veteran like Tyrod Taylor, and draft Pickett. I prefer Carson Strong but if they’re hellbent on going in that direction, then so be it

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m going to repeat something I said several weeks back to hear reactions now that the Senior Bowl is out of the way. Rather than spending a 1st round pick this season, would it be better to work the phones and find some teams who may be willing to trade a future 1st to move up from the 2nd round to pick 20 if there’s a guy they really want? Is it better to go into the 2023 draft armed with 2 2023 first round picks plus the potential for trading a 2024 1st to be able to move up for one of the guys who seem to check all of the boxes?

Maybe get a guy like Trubisky for 2022, and set up for a chance to make a big move in the 2023 draft. If you strike gold with the free agent QB that you sign, then you’ve still got 2 2023 first rounders to build around him. I’m not advocating for this strategy, but it has appeal. Of course, plenty could go wrong with that strategy. We could end up being beat out by other teams offering even more trade value to trade up, and end up without our guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I've suggested Trubisky. I think they should plug as many of the non-QB roster holes this year as possible. They have some FA money for the first time in a long time. Use all the picks on BPA. I don't love any of the QBs coming out. And so on. If that works out for a decent year of football, then great. If it results in a higher pick next year, that's good, too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I was watching EJ Perry out of Brown University in the Shrine Bowl, he got named MVP of the game. I was a bit impressed with his game.

If nothing else he got on to a lot of NFL teams radar for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I can endorse this, except the Carson Strong part. Rudolph and Haskins can do no better than let us tread water. 7 to 9 wins per year, and have failed to show me anything Dobbs has not in his limited playtime. Dobbs has 0 starts in his career so no opportunity to show what he can do with a full week preparing as the starter and has an intriguing skillset and a high IQ, two things that can always be worked with. I can only dream of what the 2019 season would have been like if he was not traded.

Tyrod is like a reverse jinx, as well. Whoever is behind him is destined to start eventually!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Has to sting Mason that no one is pitching him as the next starter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I mean people would if he looked like starting material at any point in his 3 seasons

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Several current or former Steelers were asked that question and you are right not one has mentioned Rudolph.

9. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    poor guy. i was still pulling for him, but nobody seems to be speaking up for him. they more than we do.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will pull for whomever they stick out there as our starting Qb. I will probably even make excuses for them. LoL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

At least he is taking it in stride!! Imagine if he was Kyler Murray!! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Without a doubt. I mean why wouldn't you. Not like we have control over it. I would literally ignore anything bad and just look at the positives and hope that the rest can be fixed until proven otherwise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly.
    I b!+ch , and complain about T. Edmunds all the time, but there is not a game that I'm not rooting for Him.
    Hell with Qbs its My way. I made excuses for every Qb we've ever had. LoL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No s***! Ben is still trying to scrub your lip prints off of his butt from this last season!

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's how I am. I will not deny it. Well unless I have 2. LoL.
    I did the same for Bradshaw - Ben , and all in-between. Only after we got a better Qb would I say.....Yeah ....So, and So wasn't very good. LoL. :lolol:

16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    NFL.com came out with a strange mock draft for the Steelers first pick. They had us trade up to #10 overall to draft Sam Howell. It would cost us our 3rd pick this year and our first next year to the Jets.
    If the Steelers want Howell there is a good chance that he will still be there at #20 without doing anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That would be absolute lunacy!!! It’s unbelievable how some of these guys are even considered credible sources. IF the Steelers were to do such a stupid thing, you guys will have to talk me off of the ledge on draft night. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m extremely disappointed in Mason. I really had high hopes for him when we drafted him and was somewhat excited when Ben was injured and Mason came in. He showed flashes early but fizzled pretty quickly. You know the old saying that you never get a second chance to make a first impression? That’s certainly true where Mason is concerned. He had his chance and basically blew it, that’s why no one has any confidence that he can be the guy going forward. I hope he uses it as motivation and the switch gets flipped, but I’m not holding my breath.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm intrigued by Desmond Ridder.

He is mobile, but like Ben, is always looking downfield for the the big play.

Seems really mature in interviews.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't see us moving up but i do see them taking howell. the north carolina connection with trubisky. kevin has probably watched howell more than any of them. just a feeling. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I would be fine with Howell in the second round, but he doesn't belong in the first. Neither does Ridder. Hell, Willis doesn't really belong in the first round, but somebody is going to overdraft him. I just hope it isn't the Steelers. Pickett is really the only one who belongs in the first round, probably right around where the Steelers will be picking. I doubt he falls that far because teams always seem to overdraft quarterbacks.

I would have no problem going into this season with Trubisky, Rudolph, and some guy they sign to carry a clipboard as No. 3.

I get the thought about the North Carolina connection, but there is no quarterback in this draft the Steelers know better than Pickett. The guy shared a home field and practice facility with them. How much more opportunity to get to know a guy could you want?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

yea i see the knowledge of pickett being vastly greater then the others just by location, but KC has been glued to howell for quite some time throughout this process. wasn't howell there when trubisky was at NC as well? mitch should also know a little about him. just my hunch that colbert likes howell over the others a little better. who will art2 put his 2 cents in towards? that could be the determining factor. howell was the top dawg last year and i know many think he slipped this cycle but i'm not sure KC is thinking that way. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed, but Panthers will take Pickett. We should wait till the 2nd ,and take one there. No need 2 move up, and if all the Qbs are taken in the 1st ....Well let the other teams deal with that stupidity. JMO.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Josh Rosen still remains unsigned.

Steelers need 2 QBs to bring into camp now.

Paxton Lynch couldn't cut it in the CFL, we will now see how he does in the XFL.