1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Showing Early Interest in Liberty QB Malik Willis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelersfaninPhilly, Feb 1, 2022.

1. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ,2,857 yards and 27 touchdowns to 12 interceptions, those #s don't impress me one bit, his 800 yrds rushing i could care less , I dont want a QB that takes off running every chance he gets

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Willis is a developmental project, and I don't see that as being good use of a first round pick. He's got a great arm with questionable accuracy and touch. Pickett or Howell are far more ready to take over a pro football team, but imho Pickett is the only first round qb in this draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. They should be looking at him.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yuck. I would hate it if we picked up Willis. I hope someone else falls in love with him before 20 and takes him off the board. At least it shows that we are looking at QB's.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

So you wana draft a project?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And lowest floor.

I’d encourage watching this video start to finish. Sums up what I’ve been saying perfectly.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Already seen it, thanks. I was happy he called out the accuracy myth, his accuracy is fine, it’s his decision making which can absolutely be improved upon.

These guys have a difference of opinion about him not looking down field and that he does have it above the neck.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Same was said about Allen. You guys have no patience. Mahomes didn’t even play his first season.

Anyone here have a problem if Willis ends up as good as either of those guys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have seen a couple mock drafts that have us taking Desmond Ridder in the 2nd round. He certainly has the size to be a NFL QB. This is an evaluation of his skill set. What do you think of this fit?

Progressions: Ridder can work progressions but asking him to consistently serve as a drop-back passer that has to exhaust progressions wouldn’t be the best utilization of his skill set. He’s the type of quarterback that will require a mix of manufactured throws, moving the pocket, RPOs, and involvement in the run game. He can do more to manipulate coverage with his eyes and execute full-field reads with consistency.

He will obviously be a QB that needs to be developed into a starter. Is it worth using a 2nd round pick on this kind of QB? Maybe you guys that know more about this stuff than me can tell me what you think?

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What is crazy is last week I read a draft preview that Picket was the #1 QB in the draft.

Today I read a mock draft from PFF where Picket did not even go in the first round?
    2022 NFL Mock Draft: Jacksonville Jaguars land Aidan Hutchinson at No. 1 overall, Denver Broncos select QB Matt Corral at No. 11 | NFL Draft | PFF

I am going to bury my head in the sand and assume that if Picket is available at #20 we take him. Even though for an immediate impact we definitely have other holes to fill than a rookie QB who should not see the field in 2022.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Am
    He’s fairly accurate on the kinds of throws that he attempts, but he doesn’t even attempt more than half of the throws that an NFL QB has to make. Where on any film do you see NFL staples like crossing patterns, dig routes or out-breaking timing routes? The answer is nowhere that I’ve found yet. That’s not to say it’s impossible for him to develop the timing to make those kinds of throws accurately, but he’s done less actual “passing” than any other QB in the conversation for round 1. He’s an incredibly risky pick in round 1.

Saying “it all worked out for Josh Allen, so let’s take Willis in the 1st” is like saying “my friend won the lottery, so I’m going to make that my retirement plan.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don’t mind drafting a “project” at QB. Technically all college QB’s coming out are projects. Even Joe Burrow wasn’t even close to an NFL finished product his rookie year and he was the most sure thing ever seen in a long time.

I just disagree with you about his ceiling. I don’t think Allen and Mahomes is Willis’ ceiling. I don’t even think Lamar Jackson is his ceiling. I just don’t see him ever putting it together to become an NFL player. There are just so many things he has to fix before we trot him out there and feel like we are giving him a chance to succeed. From poor decision making, to poor ball security, to having actually zero pocket presence, to poor mechanics, to his pension of throwing off his back foot and relying purely on upper body strength to throw…. It’s just a lot.

He’s made a few super amazing plays that a lot of people are getting hyped on him about. But he makes five really bad ones for every great one and that scares me too much to make him viable to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Guy can make all the throws, not worried about that at all. It’s his in structure and decision making that needs work. Out of structure the guy is fantastic, we just had a QB that did a ton of damage out of structure, how awful that would be to have again.

I’m not going to avoid the guy who is clearly the most talented QB in the draft because he might fail. Anyone you like might fail, too. Trying to project QB’s to the NFL is no where near a science, people need to stop acting like they have it all figured out. Give me the most talented guy and see what he can do.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Good. Maybe the Browns will take him ahead of us. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All I have 2 say 2 this is:puking 3:. LoL.
    Seriously.
    I like that a Qb can run, but My only priority is if He couldn't run.....could He still play Qb???
    Now all You M.W. fans out there. Simply ask yourself Honestly....if He couldn't run could He still play Qb, and You will have Your answer if We should draft Him higher than the 3rd round.
    Using the J. Allen comparison 2 Me is useless. Because I'm not sold on Him.
    Again I ask You 2 Seriously ask Yourself if He couldn't run could He play Qb. I know all of You are intelligent enough 2 know what that can mean if it's true. If not ...just think of the many more injuries You must worry about just for one thing.
    Can He play Qb if He can't run???

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ll say one thing for Willis. I liked his brief interview with the NFL Network reporters (Jeremiah, Brooks,Siciliano) at the Senior Bowl. Good personality and good answers. He seems like a nice, humble guy, unlike Howell who came across as a bit cocky. It doesn’t mean that he can read a defense or work through his progressions, but it’s nice that he didn’t swagger and puff himself up like a lot of players.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Great! Then Cincy and Browns can both kick our ass while we roll out Rudolph!

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Didn't we draft a tight end from Liberty at one time? Eric Green maybe?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lol we are going to suck for a long time if these are the sorts of picks we’re going to make. Willis is not a starting NFL QB

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good call since tomlin has brought so many qb's along. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Watching his highlights, I can see the potential. He seems extremely raw.

I'm no expert, but he kinda reminds me of Dak, which I'm not mad at if he could reach that level.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dak lol the most overrated QB in the league. But yeah, I'll be content if we have an average QB :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1