1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What real coaching looks like

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    As soon as he threw it right into the hands of the DL I said “he’s throwing the game.”

Then did his best to end the game in regulation on those 2 asinine sacks.

The end of half call didn't bother me much because of the lead and that should have been a dagger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    We ***** about Tomlin. A lot. I mean all the time and say what a crap coach he is, but when you look at what has transpired around the league the last weeks you realize how hard it is and how every coach effs it up way more than we think.

-McVay and his stupid challenges
    -Reid effing up the end of the first half yesterday
    -McCarthy completely screwing up the end of the game vs Niners
    -McDermott not squib kicking with 13 seconds left
    -Tampa Bay letting Cooper Kupp of all people get behind the D last week. I'll add the Niners seemingly refusing to make someone else besides Kupp beat them.
    -Belichick and the Pats getting beat 44-7. Totally unprepared.

The game isn't easy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Lies!!! That stuff only happens to the Steelers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Number of playoff wins in the last 5 years:

McVay 6
    Reid 8
    McDermott 3
    Belichick 5
    Arians 5
    Tomlin 0

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Burrow looked like a young Ben, shaking off sacks, scrambling and making plays. He is Joe Cool, man! He doesn't get rattled.

Bengals D Coordinator might have just bought himself a head coaching gig with his plan for Mahomes.

6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    How many years do you give the next coach?

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Only a few more years of rookie contract left for Burrow. Its hard to keep good teams together when the QB is making like 1/5th of the cap space. I'm sure that the Bengals will be a good team for the next few years, but there is no guarantee that they will be elite/dominant after they pay Burrow since it likely means that they will have to part ways with some of their better players due to cap issues. This plagued the Steelers as well with a lot of good players leaving after their rookie deal. It puts a lot of pressure on the GM to sign the right players to long deals and to make sure they draft incredibly well despite being at the end of the draft positions.

You have to remember that the Bengals team from the previous year was far worse than we were this past year. They added the RIGHT players in FA with their cap space, got their first round pick really right, and Burrow turned into a bona fide STUD. I know that's not the easiest task in the world, but the Steelers aren't even close to being in the dire straits people think we are in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. chucknoll

chucknoll Member

Dec 28, 2021
    Hello,

Mike Tomlin is a fraud. He had virtually no resume when he was hired, and it is hard to see improvement since. The team is far worse. He has average intelligence at best, and it's written all over him. He plays player he likes. If any player gets upset with him, or rubs him the wrong way, that player is gone. See James Harrison and recently Melvin Ingram.

Tomlin's input in the draft has been catastrophic. He keeps substandard assistant coaches on his staff, like Butler and Canada because they don't threaten him. After Munch left, the handling of the OL coach position has been ridiculous.

He insults anyone listening to his press conferences by never answering a question and by giving responses fit for fooling a 5 year old. Why are you risking your stars while losing 41-3 in the 4th quarter? "We needed the work." STFU. Work means practice not the NFL, where one can be disabled on any given play. In other words he practiced indefensible coaching, and then insulted his listeners by saying 'how does my ass taste? Same story for 15 years; mighty tired act.

Watch other teams with crisp execution which have their players in the right position to succeed and which seem to have a multi year drafting plan, then look at the trash we call the Steelers today. Steelers look like bumblers.

Tomlin is garbage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I thought I was told it was real coaching when KC beat us. Guess Andy used up all his good coaching ideas in the first half against the bengals

HACK

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm sure people said the same thing in the late 80's the last time the Bengals were relevant.

11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Do they have a franchise QB?

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe on 2 different blitzes ( have 2 go back ,and see) one resulted in a ints, and another a sack if I'm remembering correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Rodgers ain’t coming.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They couldn't score from anywhere the field because the QB could no longer execute down field throws consistently. Some of it was due to the lack umm faith/protection in a young and experienced Oline to start the season. As the season progressed the Oline showed improvement. Then the Oline suffered the injury bug at several spots.

The Steelers need to address the Oline if reasonably possible. Maybe they have faith in the growth and development of the young players they have? I don't know? I believe they need a solid rock at one or two positions on the Oline. That way they can build around those players. In recent history those players were Pouncey and Decastro.

Canada wasn't given the tools necessary to produce a more consistent and effective offense. A mechanic can't do his job without the proper tools. That being said, some players produced in his offense. So we'll see.

I don't think we will see Claypool at his full potential until the Steelers have a QB consistent enough to execute down field throws consistently. IMO, Ben underthrew Claypool several times this past season.

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Since people around here think the coach is a GM, how long do we give the new coach to find that?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    3 years ago- The Steelers are in trouble now in this division with the Ravens. (Steelers finish 8-8, #2 in division after Ben goes down after two games)
    2 Years ago- The Steelers are in trouble now in this division with the Ravens and Browns. (Steelers win division)
    Last Year- The Steelers are in trouble now in this division with the Browns (Steelers finish second in division, Browns third, the dynasty Ravens fourth)
    Next year- The Steelers are in trouble now in this division with the Bengals.

Oh, btw, anyone who at the beginning of the year that said the Bengals were a Super Bowl team was delusional.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Who acquires the QB is irrelevant. If Tomlin gets a franchise QB after next season I could see him going one and done in 2024.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Oh I thought some folks have said that mahomes eats the blitz alive… maybe that was Brady or Ben lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Or another team that could tie/pass our number of SB wins (NE, SF and Girls)

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    6 Super Bowls? 5? The number is arbitrary, I stopped caring about that a long time ago.

21. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Some good points.
    This is a QB driven league. Mason Rudolph and Dewayne Haskins are not solutions, though I root for Mason.
    To support a franchise QB you keep his uniform as clean as possible.
    The Steelers went through some major retooling, age and salary took a heavy toll. Most people were amazed they did as well as they did, I am one.
    But yeah, QB is a huge question mark in the upcoming season.

22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think Rudolph is the answer. Haskins has more upside and potential.

The biggest decision the Steelers will make in the near future is who they believe is their next franchise QB?

I think there is a certain percentage of luck associated with having the opportunity to draft a franchise QB.

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Haskins is not good. I mentioned in another post I was there in Washington with him.
    He did not crack the books and get into being a franchise QB. He was very flippant about it all.
    So, I walked into Steelers training camp and there was Tomlin reading him out, for what? Not knowing the play.
    He does have a big arm... but his head is tiny.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    What Rodgers says: I'm not interested in a rebuild.

What Steelers fans hear: I'm tired of playing in NFC Championships. I'm looking to finish my career behind one of the worst O lines in football in a college RPO scheme.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You obviously haven't been paying attention to Haskin's since being drafted. The skins cut their 1st rnd pick for a reason. He's a disaster. But I believe in 2nd chances. He obviously took the opportunity given to him by the steelers and ran with it right? NOPE. It's not a secret that players and coaches have not been impressed with his total lack of drive. Zero work ethic and just doesn't give a crap. I'd love to hear how this has been handled since coming here because if the reports are true why is he still on the roster? Tomlin putting up with this crap is a huge part of our problem.

• Agree Agree x 2