1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What real coaching looks like

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Jan 31, 2022.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was amazed at how the Bengals adjusted after half-time. It also made me think of why can't the Steelers do the same thing? Had that been the Steelers the second half would have mirrored the first half and KC would have scored 40 or more.

I wish Mr. Rooney would watch other games and see that Mike Tomlin simply isn't a good coach. He had one of, if not the best, offense in the league for quite a few years and could never do anything with it. Take a look at the defense, KC was horrible but they ironed out their problems to at least keep teams from scoring 30 on them every week.

The Bengals aren't great of defense either but the coaching staff found a way to make it work. It seems with the Steelers it starts out good but ends on a bad note. That is a Tomlin trait that holds true year after year. Unless the Steelers land Rodgers I'm going to say Tomlin has his first of many losing seasons coming at him like a freight train.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Good
    Good! Need a new QB and gives them a chance at picking one up in the draft along with his top receiver!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The standard is the standard as the Bengals go to the Super Bowl.

4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Bengals in the SB wow we are in for a rough ride

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The real narrative around here for Steelers detractors would be something like how could the Chiefs with superior talent lose to the Bengals? It wouldn't be to give the opposition some credit for the win. As usual, the Chiefs made mistakes and failed to execute. Those mistakes gave the Bengals an opportunity to win.

Now if the OP really paid attention to other games he would realize that Tomlin is a good coach. Do you see some of the coaches being hired or rehired today around the league?

Anyway, people might get their Tomlin wish soon enough. It will be interesting to see how people react to a new HC.

Reid is a good coach. Why didn't the Chiefs score more in the 2nd half? Why did the Chiefs defense fail to hold an 18 point lead? Coaches are only as good as the players that they have. Teams and players are only as good as they perform and execute for 60 minutes.

Coaches coach but players win in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Chiefs failed to hold on to the lead because they are the 27th ranked defense. They are one of the worst in the league.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, it’s not surprising they gave up 18 points, it is surprising they only scored 3 points.

Also, as to the OP’s point, the Steelers made plenty of 2nd half adjustments considering thats when they won most of their games.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I can't agree with Tomlin not being a good coach.
    He is solid as a rock.
    I think a defensive coordinator is huge this off season.
    I mixed on Canada.

The offense didn't have the spark you normally see with them, know they can score from anywhere on the field.
    Some of that of course comes from the fact they don't have the players they normally do.

Harris is a very good RB and should be improved in 2022.
    I think they've got to find that big play WR as none really stepped up to the plate.
    Pat Freiermuth is making some noise at TE.
    So, an OC has some tools, but it is a QB league.. that's the million-dollar challenge.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And......Mahommes kept making huge mistakes

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think in our own instance Keith Butler failed to make adjustments especially when it came to the run game. While the jury is still out on Canada, how much his game plan was hindered by Ben’s late career ability post elbow injury (yes I know the O-line plays a role as well).

11. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Oh wow...another board member talking out his a**

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So were the Eagles one time and what have they done since (except fire their coach)?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Meh, they've been there twice before.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think they'll win this time

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    They very well might! I'd like to see Stafford win but, as long as it's not the Pats, Chargers or Brady, I'm okay with whoever!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Basically don’t blitz him but you need corners who can cover

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Mahomes and Reid, either threw the game or chit the bed. How do they not know to take the 3 points before the half and instead, ran a play outside of the endzone with seconds left and no timeouts. Came back to bit them in the azz. That chit is mind boggling.

And with under 2 minutes left from the 3 yard line, Mahomes ended up running backwards on consecutive plays that eventually placed the ball back around the 30. He also threw into double coverage and Cin intercepted the pass, pretty much giving them the game.

Can't make this chit up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Also, McVeigh used two timeouts on stupid challenges that were pretty clear he was goint to lose. They were without timeouts and up chit creek if they needed one in the end. His team won in spite of his decisions there. Tomlin has had a few head scratchers but none in a game like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Steelers need a large bucket of cold water doused on them this off-season

Changes and alterations NEED to happen. Don't have to be large just solid n in multiple ways and fast

IMO. MWV

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    The Steelers are in trouble now in this division with the Bengals. They just aren’t good enough right now. And for Art Rooney to sit there and say they are a Super Bowl team is simply delusional. I’ve said it’s time to move on from Tomlin and this coaching staff for awhile now. You just don’t see coaches staying with one team for 15 plus seasons it just doesn’t happen. Sean Payton finally decided to call it quits in New Orleans, Marvin Lewis was let go in Cincy after 15 years and it’s just time to do the same thing here with Tomlin. His performance in the playoffs overall the last 10 years is just not good enough and until Art Rooney gets his head out of his ass and realizes this nothing is gonna change with this Steelers team. It’s gonna be the same stale bull**** with Tomlin year in and year out.

• Winner Winner x 2
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Rankings and stats don't mean anything when teams face off vs one another.

How many mistakes did the Chiefs offense make in the 2nd half? How many points did the Chiefs score in the 2nd half. In professional sports it's understood that opposing teams will make a push.

The Chiefs failed to hold the lead and win the game as a team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There is something to be said for new blood.
    Though Tomlin has kept the Steelers competitive throughout his tenure.
    He does have 3 8-8 seasons, but over the course of 15 years, and the rise and fall of divisional foes, that's not surprising.
    That includes 10 Post season appearances.
    I would admit also that since losing to Green Bay in the Super Bowl, his record isn't great but better than those who didn't even make it there.
    Losing to Tim Tebow and the Broncos was particularly annoying.

Now he doesn't have a HoF QB leading the team.
    I am a fan of Mike Tomlin, but also know that 'you gotta change your socks once in a while.'
    I am in hope of infusing a new Defensive Coordinator - Mike Zimmer and Vic Fangio? (not selling them here) will help.

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

What were the adjustments?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    They did drop 8+ about 45% of the time after the half.

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Super Bowl Team lolololololololol...This team, as currently constructed...Is MILES away...From being a Super Bowl Contender!

Fredo and Tomlin must both be smoking that ****

• Agree Agree x 1