1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic 2022 QB Options

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 4, 2022.

1. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Yullllpppppp

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This is his last year on the current contract. Read an article where he did even try ext. talks as they were CAP strapped and this year the CAP is expected to go up. The Raiders have his rights for this year and can tag him after that. The new regime coming in may want to move on, but I do not think they will do so without an option in place. There are far worse QBs than Carr, and his Cao hit is really not that bad this year at just under 20 million.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers players know Rudolph can’t be under center for next season. He’d never have said I assume they will bring someone else in if they thought he was the guy. It’s nice that he has great work ethics but that doesn’t mean you can be a franchise QB.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You would think so by the stuff being said that they don't believe in Him, but it also could be a smoke screen so everyone thinks We will go after a Qb in the draft. At this point I have No clue. What's what.:shrug:

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All this talk about Haskins and Rudolph, no mention of Dobbs.
    Keep Canada for 2022, make the brilliant Dobbs some sort of Offensive Assistant.
    When Canada is gone for 2023, promote Dobbs to Offensive Coordinator. At least there will be some well thought out play calls.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Players can say all they want, they're not the ones making the decisions. So I wouldn't read too much into this at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Dobbs is a guy Tomlin should be developing as a coach, similar to when Noll developed Dungy. I love Dobbs brain, but if the Steelers bring him on staff he needs to start out as an offensive quality control assistant, then the following year as a position coach. Let him grow as a coach before making him a coordinator.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You can’t let a good mind like that go.
    Make him the CAP guy Hahahahahahaha!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn’t implying that it would affect anything, just that the players know Rudolph isn’t the answer as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Was this supposed to be on green as sarcasm? One play has been attributed that Dobbs had a thought on. One 3rd down pass against the Raiders has been his success on the field..and some how he has become the legend coach of the future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Every statement is going to get oversrutinized. He said it's above his pay grade. What I heard is nothing about confidence or lack there of, just facts. He admires that a guy in his 4rh year still puts in a lot of effort, the job is not getting handed to him. MR is the only QB under contract, of course they are bringing somebody else in..probably Haskins and 2 others beside that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  14. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Can someone explain to me why it seems they have given up on Rudolph even though he has hardly played? I know he hasn't looked great but neither has any part of the Steelers offense since he's been here. It has seemed to me that as soon as he arrived the narrative began "He's not the answer"...

It has always come off as strange to me.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You think the players are participating in a smokescreen? That seems like a bit of a stretch. I doubt the players would be happy about showing that kind of lack of faith in Rudolph if they actually believed in him.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, the third-down play was against the Ravens. It was his only play that game, if I remember correctly. He sucked when he played most of a half against the Raiders, his only significant playing time in a meaningful situation in his career.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The 49ers may have won, but Garoppolo showed why he isn't a great option tonight. He made some absolutely terrible decisions, including a killer interception right before the half.

18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Correct. Dobbs accomplishments are not that memorable, eh? Lol

19. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It's been said 1,000 times but I agree that Derek Carr may be the best, most affordable option out there. Obviously, Aaron Rodgers would be the golden nugget, but Carr gives the Steelers a fantastic shot to win and won't eat up their cap like No. 12. And let's face it, no way Rodgers is coming to Pittsburgh.

Trade for Derek Carr, improve the line through free agency + draft, re-sign JuJu, add a few pieces to plug various holes and you're ready to roll.

Otherwise, it's Mason, Jimmy-G, Winston, Cousins?

Of note, I'm pretty confident they find someone in the draft. I like Sam Howell a lot. He's got the intangibles.

20. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    Haskins is just a headcase but I agree that I'm unsure why everyone writes him off as if he's not talented. At least give him a shot now that he's been in the system a while.

21. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    This is literally what I've been thinking and afraid to say. He'd be masterful here.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Our 2023 starting QB is not on the roster yet. If we do draft someone, I’m hoping that he gets a year to learn and develop on the sideline while someone else leads the team in 2022, even if that someone is Rudolph. However I have no expectations of a decent season if Rudolph (or Haskins for that matter) start in 2022.

I don’t want to bring in an outside FA or make a trade unless that guy will be a multi year starter. No sense spending a lot of dollars on someone on a steep decline like Matt Ryan. If it’s an inexpensive lottery ticket like Mariota, fine. A guy like him can run the teams while a true successor is groomed. If it’s a trade for Carr, we’ll that’s a situation with potential. He’s not elite, but you can win with him over the next 5+ years if you put a solid team around him. He’s a pretty good NFL QB.

23. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Nobody besides a few people on this board and Mike Tomlin want to see Rudolph start a game.

He’s not even CFL level starter.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

:lollmao:

I have to laugh or I’ll cry.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why I said I have No clue. Just stuff that was flying around in My head at the time. I'm on this Message board....so I threw it out there. :shrug: