1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should the Steelers no. 1 priority be in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Finding a franchise QB to replace Ben through the draft

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Finding their next starting quarterback in feee agency

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Beefing up the offensive line

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  4. Shoring up the run defense by drafting/signing DLs and LBs

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other (please explain)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'd say get rid of Mike Tomlin but that ain't happening so....

1. Draft Tyler Linderbaum. Trade up if you have to.
    2. Re-sign Minkah.
    3. Get a FA corner and tackle. You have money to work with so don't get guys off the trash heap.
    4. Address ILB and DL in the draft.
    5. Bring in a veteran QB on the cheap to push Rudolph and Haskins.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I haven't missed a game this century. Steelers sent a first rounder to Miami, recently, for Minkah Fitzpatrick. They've already made that kind of move for a Safety. You think they wont for a prime MVP QB who loves Mike Tomlin and whom Mike loves as well? AND IT's a massive need?

This in no longer about will it happen or it wont happen. It HAS to happen if you want YOUR Steelers to win Super Bowl's.

Aaron Rodgers is available. Go get him. Period. Otherwise, You will have to endure Joe Burrow, Aaron Rodgering the Steelers for the next decade+. That's the other thing to consider. Joe Burrow is not Carson Palmer. He isn't Joe Flacco. He is the next MVP QB of the future and he has a star receiver to boot with a young coach. If you think this is bad now, wait until you have to watch the Bengals sweep the Steelers every year for the the next few years. Because that's exactly what will happen if the Steelers do not go get an Aaron Rodgers who's available. It's either that or hang your hopes on a mid to late QB pick in the first round. Good luck with that.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Rogers is not in his prime. He’s at the tail end of his career. Your comparison to Minkah is apples to pineapples. Minkah was on a rookie contract and the upswing of his career.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Don’t have to, he’s retiring after the draft.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Evans and LVE have been disappointments as first round picks, neither one was good enough to get their 5th year options picked up, I'm not sure they would be an upgrade.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :beathorse:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Fix the OL, and the DL this team was terrible in the trenches, upgrade at QB.

8. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The OL was bad in 2007 when Tomlin took it over. It didn't become a strong unit until 2014 do you agree?

What took so long then? Why will it be different now?

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They didn’t really start addressing it with high picks until 2011. Gilbert in Rd 2 and then in 2012 DeCastro in rd 1. Plus they hit with Beachum in rd 7 that draft. They also took Adams in rd 2 that year but he was a bust. Then they made a real hire in 2014 when they brought Munch in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Over Schobert? I disagree; doubly so in LVE's case. I have not the foggiest of what happened to Rashaan Evans but LVE would prove superior over what Schobert showed us all season.

11. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Right? They went 4-5 seasons without addressing it with exception of taking Pouncey. Same thing is happening now no?

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How is Rodgers going to stop the Bengals from dominating with Burrow for a decade? He is 38 years old. Even if the Steelers did get him, he wouldn't be around that long.

Giving up one first-round pick is one thing. Rodgers would cost two of them and more, most likely.

I think you may be forgetting how good Palmer was before he blew out his knee. That said, the Steelers have to get better in multiple areas to match the Bengals. That was clear in the two meetings this season. That said, your sky is falling hyperbole is a bit much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    an aging Shobert, post surgery Bush and Spillane aren'y exactly world beaters, dont have a true evaluation on Buddy Johnson, I say keep Oslavsky bring in ILb depth w free agency or a early round draft pick as it is a need in the draft

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If we are considering free agent ILB’s what about De’Vondre Campbell? Coming off an All Pro season and there is no way the Packers can keep him for cap reasons

The big concern is that he was a roster bubble guy before 2021, is he a one season wonder?

Wouldn’t touch LVE because he cannot stay healthy

15. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Well then, some of you can suck it then. Enjoy Rudolph the red nose reindeer playing QB next year.

Any of you slappies complain about it then, you're even bigger slapnuts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    LVE isn't anything special, if he was good Dallas would've picked up his option, and he had those neck injuries which is a concern.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Who stated he was?! Oh most assuredly not me. That said, LVE is an upgrade over Schobert.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't want either one of them in 2022.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not much of a choice... unless somehow Buddy Johnson defies the odds.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Fort, barron, bostic, ug3, vince, spillane, Bush and schobert, Spence , allen, matakevich. A few others sprinkled in. Olsavsky and butler were coaching this group. Jerry o learned from butler. He didn't coach before this. We keep trying players that fail. Why is that. Do you really think they can draft one? The track record isn't very good.

I'm tired of hearing about Bush's injury. Why keep playing him if he can't do it? That's a coaches decision. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Schobert is 28. I don't think age is the issue there.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I reject your premise because this is not a binary choice. There are many options other than Rodgers and Rudolph.

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers can address multiple areas. A lot depends on player availability, cost associated with free agents, players available in the draft, and most importantly which decisions ownership is willing to sign off on.

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    about Olsavsky: i dont mix him in with Butler. I respect his resume and playing career (Pitt, Steelers...) I think he has a path to cooridinator position. When you include demeanor, experience, knowledge, intelligence, what he has to say, he checks pretty much all the boxes you look for in a coach, no need to get rid of him

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  25. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Get better on Dline, shore up linebackers. Draft another good Olineman or two.
    Leighton Vander Esch had his option year declined by the Cryboys. If I read this right he is a free agent. He signed a heavily backloaded rookie contract and was supposed to get over 9 mil in 2022. Not sure what he wants but I’d kick his tires.
    I don’t know why they sign contracts like that. Chances of getting the money due in the option year are not necessarily good, and over $9 mil of his over $12mil contract was due.