1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

18 gotta go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jeff Laizure, Jan 16, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Saying that most WR don't make it to the second contract. The turnover is huge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I did watch the Diontae fumble. Diontae was wildly swinging the ball away from his body; Juju had it tucked. Go to YouTube. Watch it in 0.25x speed.

3. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    No no no. I'm agreeing.

As in, there is not option on a 2nd. Where in you don't pick up/resign.

I'm more talking on the trend of 2nd rd Wrs. I think it's 3 in 4?
    If we say 3 Rd it's maybe 4 in 5?

Maybe I'm saying 2rd a d meaning 2nd pick but there is at least a trend.
    20 to like 18 was Wrs

I'm just hoping we'd take a big dude inside is all.

Guys I've said it so many places, even outside of this board, "I just want big dudes...."
    Yup

We need guys to bully. Those 12 -9 games against the raven are coming back... Soon.

We'll need a push

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    FIFY

5. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I would ask then, what is the league average on this? Admittedly, I don't know the status quo here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel the Win on Sunday

Jan 7, 2016
    The eye test, though, would clearly show that DJ has more explosiveness, moves, and athleticism than JuJu, as much as I love him. Though he does seem to go down easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel the Win on Sunday

Jan 7, 2016
    I would rather have Edmunds than those other 2 guys, though, in evaluating the season as a whole.

8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Diontae is really powerful for his size yeah. He put up the same bench reps and 40 time as Juju. Being 40 pounds lighter he can cut and stop more quickly. Diontae is a better route runner than Juju and about everyone else.

Juju played for $8M I think Diontae will try to get double that.

9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    It seems to me most teams retain Pro Bowl level WR more than the Steelers.

What makes sense to me is to sign Juju and Claypool for less money than Diontae is going to want and extend Freiermuth and have those 3 be the main receiving targets. The downside of that is Matt Canada's goofy offense requires receivers who excel in the short passing game outside of the seams. Diontae is definitely a better fit in this goofy college RPO offense.

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Was that Ben fumbling in the open field in Detroit?

I'm not even picking on DJ... Im not saying cut him.. not even saying he is not a #1....i am saying he is just a good player... the NFL is full of them

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not sure on this - by Pro Bowl, AB and Wallace were our last 2, correct? you say retain - do you mean on the roster and we keep, I assume? this is all about right player, right price.

Diontae was a HUGE disappointment late this year, when he was needed most. he had improved and then regressed. Claypool still is playing his rook contract. DJ is not a UFA so there is no urgency there. Let's see him for one more year - if he become PB, then we can FTag him or make him a larger offer. Draft WR - rounds 3-5, somewhere, we need one.

13 is gone.
    14 works as a 5th WR option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I think that is exactly what the Steelers will do. Personally offloading some talent for picks in a rebuild makes sense to me.

What is working for Diontae is there are no high pressure games in the Steelers foreseeable future.
    :roflmao:
    I'm not mad at Diontae and I don't want him off the team. I just understand people who do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I'd take him as a#1.... but I also would not be surprised if he lets me down. I would not break the bank to pay him... and I would have my eyes open for an upgrade. But I have no problem with Mirage being my #1.... just don't let him fool you into an AB contrast

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fortunately the Steelers know better and will continue to be featured. That he will let down fans will be inevitable seeing as how a 5 drop season is being reacted to.

He wasn’t the only one dropping passes in KC and Ben missed his share of throws.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I watched both. Smith-Schuster had the ball in one arm, leaving himself vulnerable to the punch out from a guy he saw coming. Weather was not a factor.

The defender who punched the ball out against Johnson came from behind. Weather was a factor due to the rain that day. Wildly swinging? You're funny.

In both cases, the defender made a great play, but the receiver still should have done a better job protecting the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Diontae Johnson was not maintaining 6 point contact when the ball was punched out. He was swinging the ball away from his body. That's objectively not good technique. :shrug:

Juju was maintaining 6 point contact and had the ball punched out by the best DB in the NFL at forcing fumbles. :shrug:

17. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Your point? Did I say Ben was GREATin KC?

5 drops all season? I'll take your word for it... but i do know 2 of 5 happened in KC on 3rd downs that killed the drives

I literally defended your boy.. I said he is a #1.... but don't pay him AB money.... you think he is AB? I'm hoping he becomes it... but today they not even close

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was reacting to the the mirage statement. No, I don’t think he is AB nor does he have to be. Just be Diontae Johnson and give the Steelers around 1400 yards and 13 TD’s which I think he is capable of doing. He has been doing pretty good with less than stellar QB play, Rudolph/Duck his rookie campaign and catching Ben at the end of his career.

One thing that worked in Johnsons favor and remains to be seen how it plays out with a different QB is that Ben peppered him with a lot of targets. Which he turned into 107 receptions, 6th most in Steelers history.

5 drops is courtesy of Pro Football Reference advanced stats. Ja’Marr Chase led with 9 drops.

19. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I think that is the big question on DJ. Ben fed him a lot because DJ and to s much lesser extent Ray Ray were able to get seperation off the line.... willv he eat as much stuff a lesser QB? Will other WRs get more looks with the new QB supposedly having more time to let s play develop?

As of today..top 15 Pay puts him at $15.7ish a year (Cooper Kupp)

DJ might be in the conversation for got top teit WR... but myself.. until I feel I can count on him to make this 3rd downs..I'm not paying more than 11-12.

JUJU is not the WR that DJ is.. but I trust him to make those catches. That's the only reason JUJU make 8-10

I can see some team offering DJ 15-18 and JuJu 12-15..... and they will go play well... but myself.. I'm not sure I am going to be the one to pay them those #s

There is a difference between WR1 and THE GUY... that's the mirage...DJ looks like THE GUY then he drops two prefect passes on 3rd down... then he fumbles in the open field in OT

That's the mirage... looks like DJ THE GUY turns out to be DJ WR1

HACK

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Lovely. This is more attempted gaslighting. Your characterization of what Johnson did on his fumble against the Lions simply isn't true. The Lions' defensive back may not have Humphrey's reputation, but he made a hell of a play to punch that ball out. He also came at Johnson from behind and it was in the rain while Smith-Schuster saw Humphrey coming on a day that the weather wasn't a factor.

Let me know when you would like to approach a conversation with some integrity. That would be a first for you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Most players don’t make it to the second contract. The average career is 3.3 years. But yes, Wr, RB and CB are on the bottom of the spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not questioning the definition of ball security. I'm pointing out that you are flat-out lying about what happened on Johnson's fumble against Detroit.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Can't lie about something anyone can watch with their own eyes frame by frame. :shrug:

25. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I think he has a contract in his locker and they hardly trade anybody unless he demanded a trade.