1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher vs Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by hmmmmm, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    may as well make the old Bumblebee jerseys the primary for the clown show that will be next years team

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    if all that matters is winning a SB, then both are 1-1.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As Lombardi said- You are either first or last.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We’ll never know what Cowher’s tenure would’ve looked like had he a HOF QB his entire tenure. But we can safely guess it would’ve been even more impressive. Maybe he wouldn’t have lost SB 30.

As far as the jersey number font, block lettering looks way better

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    remember the houston oilers had those <snip> lookin blue pompoms ?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The goal posts get moved every year. After the Tebow loss and missing the playoffs in 2012 it was "Tomlin just won 4 years ago."

After getting embarrassed by NE and Jacksonville it was "Tomlin has as many playoff wins as Cowher."

Now it's either just "Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the NFL" or "He's never lost in the regular season."

The people who have been wrong about Tomlin for the last 10 years are finding it harder and harder to cope. Steelers have the 22nd most playoff wins in the last 5 years with 0- tied with the Lions, Giants, Jets, Dolphins, Raiders...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It will be 6 after next year and so forth

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Next year it will be "Tomlin's only had one losing season. Cowher had three."

"8 seasons in a row without a playoff win is expected. We're in a rebuild."

9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Cowher had them in the hunt twice as much as Tomlin. You are not in the hunt if you miss the playoffs or lose in the first playoff game

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    74% of the time having zero playoff wins is not being competitive. Especially since you had a HOF QB

11. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    At the end of the day 1 SB to one 1 SB trumps anything you say on this subject. Once again, what difference does it make what playoff wins you have if you're not winning the SB?? You want a participation trophy like a nine year old? Is that what you want?? At the end of the day the season ends in total disappointment for everyone except one team. Come Jan or Feb of just about every year only one team will be able to claim the entire season wasnt a complete waste of time.

You dont think so??...case and point: The Buffalo Bill's won 9 straight playoff games between 1990 and 1993. You really think the Buffalo fans give 2 donkey balls that they won all those playoff games and yet dont have a single ring to show for it??

Furthermore, would you rather have been a fan of the Washington Redskins or St Louis Rams 1 SB win in the 90s or the Buffalo Bill's 4 straight SB appearances that ended in losses??

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  12. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Since you like to throw around irrelevant stats and put comments on rinse and repeat let me put some real perspective on what you just said by giving you stats that really mean something and repeating something I said previously....Ben's QBR the last 3 playoff games:

2021 15.0
    2020 59.2
    2017 67.5

11 TDs 5 Int...but we all know most of those TDs were garbage time TDs as reflected by the QBR. The games had long been over and gotten out of hand either by the end of the first half or early 3rd qtr. The highest avg yard completed was like 8.1 among those 3 playoff games? SUN night it was 4.9. It hasnt helped that he's had an aged or inexperienced line in front of him but you're not giving the defense much help with those type of numbers from the most important person on the offensive side of the ball and as you say HOF QB.

Now those are stats that are relevant....not that rinse and repeat crap you like to put out there that means nothing to nobody except people who like to walk around with their thumb stuck up their butt all the time. At the very least you could do is find something new to complain about.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Win more playoff games without a SuperBowl win and people will move the goal posts. Some people did this with Cowher to the point where they claimed he would never help the team win.

Making the playoffs 10 out of 15 seasons is a hell of an accomplishment in a league where this isn't designed to happen.

25 years between SuperBowl wins for the Steelers. It's extremely difficult to win one game in the NFL. I won't apologize for taking the winning seasons and 1st round playoff exits until the Steelers can manage or are lucky enough to build a championship team.

Some "Steelers" fans take winning for granted. Championships are not the only measure of success, great careers, ect in a team oriented sport.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As a side note, I find the "HOF QB = inevitable success" thing a bit presumptive. After all, Warren Moon is a HOF QB. So is Dan Fouts. Neither won a huge amount of play off games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Exactly. Even if they did have decent playoff success. What good is all that w/o a SB?? Both those QBs were head and shoulders better than Ben along with Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. No SB wins. What do you do with all of Aaron Rodgers playoff success, but only 1 ring? and all of those guys were QBs Ben couldnt hold a candle to imo.

16. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I heard Hines Ward interviewed for the Texans job. And saw Bruce Arians smack his player in the head. That concludes today’s edition of Steelers News.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    2 of those 3 are the last 2 years. Against the Jaguars they had a team that was good enough but Tomlin never has control of his team. Which is why Bell skipped a walkthrough practice and showed up late to the game (all players are supposed to show up 2 hours early. Also if Tomlin had put together a reasonable team Ben could have won. Manning was worse in 2015 then Ben is today yet he won a super bowl. Winning wild card weekend doesn’t take a team full of Hall of fame players. Well unless you are Tomlin. I can’t make this more clear. Tomlin is hot garbage there isn’t one thing he does well as a coach. This will be too hard to ignore even for all the people that defend this moron on this site. The next few seasons he will set many records of things the Steelers have never done before like extending his streak of no playoff wins. You will see how much this washed up QB was holding this garbage team together

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Plenty of teams that win a playoff game or two feel one or two minor changes and the could have won the super bowl. Which gets you excited about next year. Teams that miss the playoffs or lose in the first game are no where near a super bowl team. So there is a difference but I am sure you won’t admit it. Do you think this team is 2 players away from the super bowl? I bet the team that losses the AFC championship feels that way

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    saddled with a franchise QB salary? Lol. Yea not sure how Tampa, KC , Green bay, and Buffalo are able to deal with this saddle on their backs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    We would have saw that in 2019 if he was going to be exposed so you're already wrong. You also got a lot woulda, should, coulda going on in your comment. If Ryan Shazier hadnt been paralyzed maybe we are talking about a SB victory. How would you know?? It was an issue the Jaguars fully exploited no doubt.

You dont know what it takes to win a SB. It's all pure speculation on your part. Manning had one of the greatest SB defenses of all time corralling him into the SB. A defense that was relatively healthy when it showed up. Most SB teams have won a battle of attrition which other teams have not been able to overcome... somethin the Steelers have struggled with in their playoff runs if one is willing to admit it.

21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Ok...so since you know so much how many SB losers have come back and won the SB the very next year?? ....based upon your comment there should be plenty....I'll wait....

I'll go out on a limb and say theres actually more that got knocked out in the playoffs the first game or didnt even make the playoffs the previous year that have won more SBs then there was that won a playoff game or even made it to the SB the previous year and loss...let's put your theory up against facts.

I'll help you out with the first part of the question...only one team in the SB era has ever lost a SB and come back and won it the next year... the 2017 Patriots lost the SB and then came back and won it the next year...so there goes one part of your baseless theory down the drain that playoff game winners and SB contenders are within 1 or 2 players of being champions. You wanna continue with this study or you wanna be further embarrassed??

Let me help you make up your mind. Since 1980 alone there have been 17 teams that have been to the SB and were not in the playoffs the previous year (which includes the 2010 Steelers). 7 of the teams won it ...the last being the Buccaneers. That's just the teams that didnt even make the playoffs the previous year and since 1980! I havent even gotten to the ones prior to 1980 nor the one and dones.

22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Oh so now it is Super Bowls?! Thought success was determined by not losing in the regular season.

The Steelers haven't come close to a Super Bowl in 11 years. If Super Bowls actually were the standard Tomlin wouldn't have made it to 2014.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The nfl is a coaches league. Teams with the best coaching wins. Give that coach a good QB and you’ll win plenty of playoff games . There’s a reason why the same teams are winning playoff games almost every year .

The level of underachievement in Pittsburgh with the talent we had is mind boggling.

In the Nfl (and every pro sport) it is always “what have you done for me lately”. There’s no logical argument to be had to defend MT . 11 seasons, most of which with elite Talent at QB, RB, Oline, RB, d-line, LB , etc. the expectations were high due to the talent we had. We did not live to expectations for 9 of the past 11 seasons.

A good coach, even with sub par talent is gonna once in a while pull off upsets to superior teams and or inferior coaches. Especially come playoff time. When has that happened in the last 11 seasons? A good coach does more with less and if they have more then expect title games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Warren Moon had 9 seasons in a row without a losing season.

I agree that in the playoffs vs good teams every QB needs a good team to win and good coaching. That's because the other team probably has a good QB and good defense etc.

But in the regular season vs bad teams a HOF QB will come out with a win most of the time.

The Steelers were 2-6 this year vs playoff teams but 7-2-1 vs everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    What's living up to expectations?? Let me guess... Winning the SB?? What's was wrong with expectations the other two seasons? I want you to tell me realistically what the expectations were for the 9 seasons you're referring to otherwise I'm going to assume you're just talking out your a** like most of the people that trash Tomlin on here. I've already come to the conclusion you're no different.
    Let's make sure we address the other 9 teams that went on to win the SBs those years.