1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin presser today some highlights…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Few quarterbacks are sure things, but the ones being listed as potential first-rounders this year are mostly guys who should go in the second round or later. They are being projected in the first because quarterbacks are often taken too early.

Pickett belongs in the first round, but even he has major question marks. He was mediocre for three years as a starter for Pitt before his monster senior season. The offense around him was absolutely loaded in 2021. They had arguably the best wide receiver in the country, with a deep group of guys behind him. They had two very good tight ends, three quality tailbacks, and a veteran offensive line. They also played in a conference full of mostly lousy defenses. He still showed an NFL arm, accuracy, the ability to go through progressions, mobility, and toughness. I'm just not sure it will translate at the next level.

Howell regressed as a passer in 2021. He ran a lot, and he took some big hits doing it. He and Corral are both on the short side. They are both listed at 6-1, so they are probably no more than 6-foot even. I wasn't impressed when I saw Ridder. Again, if Howell or Ridder slipped to the Steelers in the second round, fine. Otherwise, I say go with the best lineman available, preferably on offense, but defense could work as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    AS Mike Tomlin said nothing is off the table.

Let the Tomlin PR machine get all the good vibes it can, and then have Colbert make his final move to bring in Deshaun Watson!

And that move alone would solve so many of the problems on offense immediately.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree about Steve Young, but it took Him failing, and getting picked up by another team, and then sitting behind Montana. We don't have that luxury. Really nobody in the NFL does anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All the reasons I don't believe in J. Allen, and people have laughed about on Here. Allen is bigger, faster, stronger, and got a stronger arm than Mahomes, but I'd take Mahomes before Allen any day. Allen has not proved He can play without running. That's why he had over 700 yards rushing. That's not buying time 2 throw that's taking off running.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    According to who? Thats my point, people think too much of their evaluation skills. If anything, Picketts hype is lifting him higher than he should probably go. Howell I dont see how it can be argued isnt a legit top 10. But, I’m just another noob playing talent scout.

The proof will be in the pudding in a couple years.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Silly disagree @FosterMorris , I’ve literally had this debate with Scribe for years. He did not like the pick and has been consistent that Dobbs is not a good QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not a talent scout here, but I did say nobody in Baker Mayfields class should go higher than the 2nd round. J. Allen is the only one that might prove Me wrong. We shall see.
    Also said in Burrows draft class only Burrows,and Herbert should go in the 1st round. So far it looks that way.
    I said last years draft Mac Jones,and T. Lawrence only should be 1st rounders. Way 2 early 2 tell on that one ....really on all of them . LoL ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    He's become a good passer, but I am not willing to anoint him anything yet. He has won one playoff game. He lost to the Steelers this year. Heck Kordell took us to a championship game. Let's see how his career shapes in 4-5 years. Heck, Nick Foles beat Brady for a SB. It seems people figured out how to play him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm going by what I read and hear from people who follow college football a lot more closely than I do. I agree that Pickett will probably go higher than he should. That's why I wrote about all those factors that inflated his numbers this season.

Howell is short. His physical running style isn't going to play as an NFL quarterback. Despite playing in a conference with some crappy defenses, he regressed as a passer in 2021. Most rankings I've seen have him behind Pickett and Corral, among others. Plenty of folks have him outside the top 10, some even outside the first round.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He didn't lose to the Steelers. His team lost that game. Quarterbacks don't win and lose games by themselves. Also, did you watch that game? He was under constant pressure. That was before the Steelers lost Alualu. Also, that was before the Bills even tried to establish a running game other than Allen. More often than not, any quarterback is going to struggle with no running game and no pass protection. Steelers fans should know all about that.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Allen has won more than one playoff game, the Bills went to the AFCCG in 2020.

12. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    - Young threw for 3900 yards his final season at BYU. That was the second most all-time at that point. If you still want to say that Young wasn't a good passer coming out of college there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

- Maybe you're right that the Steelers thought Dobbs could be a pocket passer. That is probably true because a 4th is a good pick. The Steelers thought they could coach up a raw running QB and couldn't. The QBs they are looking at are probably Howell and Corral so already they are ahead of where Dobbs was so it's a moot point. And we both agree it was a bad pick.

- I also agree with you that they should draft a QB next year because there won't be a QB worth taking in the first.

We don't disagree a lot and I'm sorry for being so slow to understand your point.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mahomes is better than Allen, but he is also better than most of the quarterbacks in the NFL. Name six current NFL quarterbacks who are better than Allen. I'll give you Mahomes, Rodgers, and Brady. Maybe Herbert. Who else?

Allen is a passer who runs. It's not as if he is Lamar Jackson.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really have a habit of misrepresenting what I have posted. I never said Young wasn't a good passer coming out of college. I'm saying he got to that level even though he had great ability as a runner. He also wasn't a great passer early in his pro career. He struggled in the USFL and with the Buccaneers. Even when he first got to the 49ers, he was a better runner than passer, yet he still developed the rest of his game and became a great pro passer as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With the list You said I'd add R.Wilson , Burrows and maybe M. Stafford. All I got ....off the top of My head.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey, I love the draft, evaluating players, I get some right I get some wrong like everyone else. I’m not trying to be insulting when I say we think too much of our abilities, it’s more a statement on how much of a dart throw the draft is. It’s not a science or no one would ever miss on a draft pick.

Thats why I bristle at the “there are no good QB’s this year”. Bet there will be a hit in there among one of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They will bring in an experienced player of some level to compete with Mason.

They should have moved on from Ben at the end of 2019, but because of cap hit I guess they needed to see.

18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Is it possible that I am reading what you say too carefully?

You're saying that you're not saying Young wasn't a good passer coming out of college. I'm reading that as Young was a good passer already coming out of college. Correct? So he regressed?

You're saying that Young wasn't great in his early pro career. Usually if I ask someone "How was that movie?" and they reply, "Not great" I take that to mean it was a bad movie. Sometimes I feel like what you write is confusing.

But let's just say for argument's sake that Young was good not great as a passer early in his pro career. Then you agree that Young was always a good passer. The 49ers didn't make him that way they just surrounded him with talented coaches and players. Of course Young improved with experience but like Young himself said he learned how to throw in college watching Jim McMahon.

To me it sounds like you're still saying Young was a bad passer because he played poorly for the Buccaneers (and USFL). Maybe I'm slow. The Buccaneers went 4-28 the two seasons Young was there. Young's first season in SF he started 3 games throwing 10 TD 0 INT for a 121 rating. Good right off the bat on a proper team.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Really wish he hadn't got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    This all falls back to the front office and if they can’t see through MT shame on them. Keep talking about a franchise QB. Who is going to train him? They have done nothing with Mason or Haskins that I can see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah he really stands out to me in terms of arm talent and going through reads. He badly needs more experience and to show what he can do. Hoping he has a big year next year.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The not so good Long Horns were abusing Him.:shrug:

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wilson was better than Allen, but he seems to be in decline. Allen is absolutely better than Stafford. Burrows might get to the point of being better, but he needs to show more over time.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Shough got hurt before he could run up the score in a comeback.

Did you see his TD run though? Shough can run and has a nose for the end zone. So much mobility. Mobility is 90% of the battle of being a QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Hire Uncle Rico as QB coach? Worked for Ben.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1