1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers = Pirates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelStater, Jan 19, 2022.

1. SteelStater

SteelStater Member

Nov 16, 2017
    In playoff wins since 2011. Let that sink in... I didn't believe it at first, but as I looked it up, both teams have the exact same amount of playoff games won. Sure, not exactly apples to apples, but still an interesting (and depressing) statistic.

We all know the Pirates are cheap with an inept owner, so that's their excuse (though even frugal teams can still win). The Steelers have spent money on this team and we still only have 3 playoff wins. Sad. But at least we go into each Steelers season with optimism... can't always say that about the Pirates.

Pirates:
    2021 - Missed Playoffs
    2020 - Missed Playoffs
    2019 - Missed Playoffs
    2018 - Missed Playoffs
    2017 - Missed Playoffs
    2016 - Missed Playoffs
    2015 - Lost NL Wild Card (0 wins)
    2014 - Lost NL Wild Card (0 wins)
    2013 - Lost NL Division Series (3 wins - Wild Card + 2 games in Division series)
    2012 - Missed Playoffs
    2011 - Missed Playoffs

Steelers:
    2021 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)
    2020 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)
    2019 - Missed Playoffs
    2018 - Missed Playoffs
    2017 - Lost Divisional Round (0 wins - First Round Bye)
    2016 - Lost Conference Championship (2 wins - Wild Card + Divisional Round)
    2015 - Lost Divisional Round (1 win - Wild Card)
    2014 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)
    2013 - Missed Playoffs
    2012 - Missed Playoffs
    2011 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SMH

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The only thing the Pirates will ever beat the Steelers in, is how much nicer a facility and design quality PNC Park is compared to Heinz Field.

The only way the Pirates will ever get competitive again, is to either get a an owner who spends money or if baseball installs a salary cap (which won't happen)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Any news if there will even be a Heinz Field next year?

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    In my 40 years of life, the Pirates have 8 seasons above .500. The Steelers have more that that in 1/4 of my life and far more than that in the last half. The Pirates run through managers like the Browns do HCs. The Steelers have had three. The Steelers aren't close to being the basement dweller the Pirates are. I'll concede and say it would've been refreshing for a change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Regarding this thread...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Not even close yet but the way things are heading with this new AR2 could be the future?

Although the salary cap makes it hard to ever be as bad as the Pirates for that long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelStater

SteelStater Member

Nov 16, 2017
    I wasn't necessarily saying the Steelers were the same as the Pirates, but merely pointing out that the pitiful Pirates have as many playoff wins as the Steelers over the past 10 years. We all expect so much more from the Steelers, but they just can't win when it counts. As an organization, there's no comparison, Steelers are (so far) still very ahead of the Pirates.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Most ridiculous comparison I've seen to date and technically its wrong....the pirates have one playoff win and that was the 1 game wild card victory. They actually have to win the series to be considered to be a playoff win so your analysis was fruitless and outright wrong on multiple fronts since they ended up losing to the Cardinals the next series. At least use a team that makes it to the playoffs regularly.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Even in that regard, your comparison is bull**** because MLB has playoff series while the NFL has single-game elimination. A relevant measure would be how many times each team has advanced in the post season. The Pirates have advanced once in all that time. The Steelers have advanced three times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Pirates = Lions

I'd say the Steelers are more comparable with the Cardinals. Despite player turnover, both are very successful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If the NFL wasn't a salary cap league, I think the Steelers would be in deep trouble and many other teams for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    On a side note: You can blame Bob Nutting all you want for the state of the Pirates but, the real problem is the support of their idiotic fans. Sorry to hurt anybody's feelings but, people who continue to support an organization, year after year, who shows zero interest in actually being a contender is enabling the problem.

If you kept buying cars of the same make, and every time it was a lemon, and yet you kept buying them, not only are you an idiot, but you're enabling the car company to keep making their sh** product.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't. Revenue sharing via universal TV deal really helps markets like Pittsburgh and Green Bay stay competitive. Plus the brand of the Steelers is universally known across the US. People across the US, Canada and even Europe buy Steelers merchandise. I'd argue that the Steelers market far exceeds the local media market unlike brands like the Giants and Jets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You do realize that Art2 has been the team president since 2003 right.

16. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Well he was much better in that capacity than whatever the hell he is doing now.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :rolleyes: Fixed it for you.......

In playoff wins since 2011. Let that sink in... I didn't believe it at first, but as I looked it up, both teams have the exact same amount of playoff games won. Sure, not exactly apples to apples, but still an interesting (and depressing) statistic.

We all know the Pirates are cheap with an inept owner, so that's their excuse (though even frugal teams can still win). The Steelers have spent money on this team and we still only have 3 playoff wins. Sad. But at least we go into each Steelers season with optimism... can't always say that about the Pirates.

Pirates:
    2021 - Missed Playoffs
    2020 - Missed Playoffs
    2019 - Missed Playoffs
    2018 - Missed Playoffs
    2017 - Missed Playoffs
    2016 - Missed Playoffs
    2015 - Lost NL Wild Card (0 wins)
    2014 - Lost NL Wild Card (0 wins)
    2013 - Lost NL Division Series (3 wins - Wild Card + 2 games in Division series)
    2012 - Missed Playoffs
    2011 - Missed Playoffs

Steelers:
    2021 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)
    2020 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)
    2019 - Missed Playoffs
    2018 - Missed Playoffs
    2017 - Lost Divisional Round (0 wins - First Round Bye)
    2016 - Lost Conference Championship (2 wins - Wild Card + Divisional Round)
    2015 - Lost Divisional Round (1 win - Wild Card)
    2014 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)
    2013 - Missed Playoffs
    2012 - Missed Playoffs

2011 - Lost Wild Card (0 wins)

18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :rolleyes:
    Steelers
    >>>>>>Pirates

Steelers:
    2021 - 9-7-1 made the playoffs
    2020 - 11-5 made the playoffs

Pirates:
    2021 - 61-101 missed playoffs
    2020 - 19-41 missed playoffs

I rest my case

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fans who still support that franchise certainly deserve some of the blame for the reason you cite, but Nutting is still the primary culprit. He is profiting from a ballpark that was built with taxpayer money. That alone makes the way he runs that franchise a disgrace. Of course, he also blatantly lies about what he is doing. And yes, those who believe him are stupid to do so. I call them the defenders of Bob Nutting's wallet. They just don't want to believe they are being suckers.

That said, some who go know exactly what is going on. They just enjoy watching baseball in an amazing ballpark. If I still lived in Pittsburgh, I'd be going to the occasional game. I just wouldn't bother rooting for the Pirates.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    The ballpark is beautiful and a nice summer night with my son at the game to me is worth a million bucks. Does that mean I have any interest in the team or hope? Not at all.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That was my point. I get going to the occasional game. Going to games at PNC Park is one of the things I miss about Pittsburgh. What I don't get is buying season tickets or in any other way investing in that team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Not sure your case is that strong listing two teams from two different sports neither of which have any playoff wins. One team doesn't get to post season, the other does get there (once by a miracle) and their only accomplishment is to be embarrassed and only increase the total in their L column. Both are bad and trying to compare who is worse is depressing. JMO>

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. Thankfully the NFL is smart enough to know this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why the NFL's system is infinitely better than MLB's. That said, there are other factors at play, too. Baseball is more of a regional sport and it has a larger percentage of its revenue tied up in attendance.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's really hard to do, but there us a formula. TB has managed to stay relevant by developing players, KC more limited but some success. The bucs just seem not to care at all.