1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin presser today some highlights…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That was pretty cool! Thanks for posting

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of what I am reading here is people putting their own spin on running QB’s, that they just take off and run as soon as they hike the ball. That’s not true. They also ignore that a lot of runs are designed. Allen does a lot of that.

How horrible it would be to have Josh Allen as our QB :rolleyes:

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s a restricted free agent.

4. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You didn’t read my post. I said all the great qb’s that were mobile were also great passer too. Being an accurate passer should be the first criteria. Randall Cunningham, was an average passer with great mobility. That never got him a SB. Ben was an accurate passer first with decent mobility. That got him two SB. Difference between him and Montana and Brady was that Ben wasn’t a student of the game. Marino and Fouts had zero mobility but both were incredibly accurate passers. Both never had a decent defense, and never won a SB, but they could score on anybody. Great passer with quick release and football smarts is my first criteria in a qb. If they have mobility, added bonus.

5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Dobbs has 31 career rushing yards to 45 career passing yards.

23% of his yards gained in college came on the ground.

I don't think we will ever agree on anything if you don't think Josh Dobbs is a running QB. Dobbs looked for his first read and if it wasn't there (often forced poor passes into coverage on first read) then he ran. That's just what it was.

Those of us like STD and myself who see Tomlin and Steelers fans getting hung up on "mobility" put other traits like going through progressions and elite arm talent at the top of the list for a QB. "Mobility" should be way down.

Another problem with "mobility" (besides distracting from actually important characteristics in a QB) is mobile QBs are usually small. So now you're running a small QB into NFL LB and S. I'm surprised it took Lamar Jackson this long to get hurt. Now that he is getting injured they're just going to pile up and as a result Baltimore will keep him in the pocket and then what good is his running?

Josh Allen is an absolute unit at 6'5 250 and look what happened to him. What happens to Corral and Howell in the NFL? All the mobile QBs are 6'1 215 at most no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I read your post. You just didn't support your initial claim. You still haven't supported it. You read "mobile quarterback" and just started making **** up.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I stated that Dobbs is not a guy who will run more than he passes. Your statistic from his college days actually supported my point, so thank you for that.

Tomlin mentioned mobility in a press conference and suddenly he is so hung up on it that other factors are being ignored? That's just ridiculous. You are basically at the point that you will misrepresent anything the man says to turn it into a reason to criticize him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And He will Be the very first 2 tell You He wasn't very good until He learned 2 play from the pocket. He says it all the time. Also You are talking about a team that Won a SB four years before without Him.
    I don't hate having the ability 2 run. I hate when You can't play Qb if Your running ability is taken from You.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Which QB runs more than they pass?!!

The college tape on Dobbs is terrible but he was drafted anyways because he is "mobile." That's my point. That was a 4th round pick. That is a decent pick. Clearly the Steelers thought there was a potential for Dobbs to either be a starter or a quality back up long term. The Steelers made a bad decision by betting on a mobile QB.

The Steelers are likely going to make another bad decision in drafting a "mobile QB" this year. That is Dobbs' relevance.

Tomlin didn't "just mention QB mobility in a press conference." He has shown an interest in running QBs his whole career.

It's amazing what a pass Tomlin gets in media. Tomlin saying he wants a "mobile QB" is identical to Ben saying he wants "a tall receiver." You probably disagree with that too. :roflmao:"When you have red paint you paint the barn red." That's another shot at Ben and at the OL.

Tomlin has stated repeatedly he wants a "mobile QB." We can only infer that Ben is immobile. That's where your definition of "mobile QB" falls to pieces. Name 5 QBs better at extending a play than Ben. Russell Wilson for sure. The rest are arguable.

And Tomlin didn't say "I want a QB that can extend plays and make things happen." That is exactly what he had in Ben. He didn't say that. He said he wants a "mobile QB."

Tomlin and Canada are planning on running a college style RPO and apparently you're the only one that can't see that. But people think Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers would be interested in running a college style RPO. :roflmao:No. The Steelers will draft a college player to run a college offense in the NFL. No one will see it coming. It's brilliant.

I don't need or want to see a QB more mobile than Ben was.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah. As Brady keeps winning SBs. Young You are. I have heard this exact statement 2 other times in My Years of watching football. This is the 3rd time around.
    Plus I'm not talking about guys that can run.
    I'm talking about guy that have 2 run.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You guys got Me all wrong.
    Again. I'm talking about Guys that have 2 run. Not guys that can run.
    Only one guy left in the playoffs that has 2 run for Him 2 be successful.
    J. Allen. That's it.
    Everyone else is still successful if You took their running abilities away.
    Also there is a big difference in running, and buying time 2 throw down the field.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Running the ball as a QB is like icing on the cake, but pocket passing ability is the cake.

I can sit down and eat a cake without any icing at all and it can still be really good. If you add a little icing so much the better. But the thought of just eating a bowl of icing makes me sick to my stomach.

Kids like icing. The flash and bright colors and sweetness attract them.

Men like bourbon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a big assumption to claim that Tomlin wants to run an RPO style college offense. He could just be talking about a QB like Herbert, Burrows or Mahomes. Or lets assume hes talking about a QB like Allen or Murray, would that be so horrible to have?

I don’t think he was taking a shot at Ben but Ben moves like he has broken glass in his ass now, he presented a lot of limitations for what the offense could do.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2022-1-19_12-29-54.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Steve Young had seven concussions in 8 years as a starter.

Steve Young's passer rating in those 8 seasons was 102.8. Maybe that is why his offenses were successful? :shrug:

The point Tiggs, STD and I are making is that Young did not need to run. Did it help? Yes. One more thing for the defense to worry about. Was it crucial? No. Is it why Steve Young was so good? No.

Steve Young was more like Brady than he was like Lamar Jackson. Young is highly intelligent and read defenses. He knew where to go with the ball quickly and accurately.

Myself, STD and Tiggs all would love a Steve Young type QB that is a pocket passer who can pick up a first down with his feet 2-4 times per game. That's a great extra. A great bonus. But even when Young didn't run he was a top 5 pocket passer of his era.

Who looks the most like Steve Young of the 2021 draft? Kenny Pickett. And he will be long gone by the 20th pick. Now what?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!:GEEZZZZ. This exactly.
    This is all I'm Trying 2 say.
    I like You can run. I don't like You can't play Qb if You can't run. Simple.
    Only Qb I know left in the playoffs that falls under this description so far is .......J. Allen. This is not saying He won't ever be able 2 .

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

How about excellent news? For that matter, why not excellent news? This is a young team and as such, not just continuity but stabilized continuity is critical for not just the present but also the future.

I would say that this form of news is far bigger than others realize.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

To that end and, I personally see this happening more and more, an Offensive Lineman is what is required in Round One. Whether or not Tomlin and Colbert (or Brandon Hunt rather) opt to head for Iowa's Pro Day is another story all together. While Tomlin did not say he was giving up on Green being the Center for the team, he also did not rule out the possibility of him being moved to Guard should it come to that. That said, Green has quite a bit of work to do.

Whenever Iowa's Pro Day is and whether or not the Steelers bring the house there shall provide the likes of me, you and others this answer as well. Let us not rule out the Pro Day date of Texas A&M as that will also be a critical day the same; Dan Moore's teammate in Kenyon Green also being a highly touted Interior Lineman himself. To put it bloutly?

Whichever Lineman garners the most attention for the Steelers shall seal Kendrick Green's fate moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Not with Matt Canada running the offense :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Umm.... for any Offensive Coordinator to have success, continuity is key. I am not stating that Matt Canada is going to have a bounce back year as I personally see no indication of it. That said, there at least needs to be some semblance of stability for him to work with.

Don't believe me about having such a small yet immense form of impact? Look at every remaining playoff team; all having Offensive players who have been in their respective systems for a number of years. Again and, of course, having the right Coordinator is key but having the correct personnel is critical.

22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin was saying that the offensive play calling was the best possible play calling given the roster they had to work with. That is the factual part.

My inference is that Tomlin was primarily speaking on the QB and OL which were, in my opinion, the limiting factors to offensive production in terms of personnel.

It really is a way of throwing the roster under the bus. Tomlin is clearly stating that the offensive play calls were the best available due to a lack of talent on the offense.

What bothers me is that the obvious fix to a declining Ben and Mason at QB was a run game to support the QB position. Tomlin had two full seasons before Ben finally fell off the cliff to establish a run game and open up some more options for Roethlisberger rather than strictly a short passing game. That is coaching and it is on Colbert not repairing the OL for the second time in his career.

Tomlin could have hired Mike McDaniel to be the offensive coordinator in 2020. There's a highly intelligent Ivy League educated man who knows the Shanahan zone blocking scheme in and out and who has seen tremendous success with Deebo Samuel in the flex position. Juju and Claypool are both capable of similar play to Samuel.

Tomlin chose Canada. This is the low risk dink and dunk pass attack with heavy inclusion of RPO that Tomlin thinks is best. McDaniel runs the RPO very well but his inclusion of the run game is anathema to Tomlin. Tomlin is decidedly against having an effective run game and always has been.

23. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    This is Stafford's first year in LA. Brady won the Super Bowl in his first year in TB. The Titans have a new OC this year and got the 1st seed.

So many times the OC has his best year in his first year because there is no tape on what he is doing. Arians best year was his first year as was Fichtner's.

Canada had a bad OL and Ben actually deteriorated a lot this year. Those are valid reasons as to why Canada had less success than he otherwise might have had. I disagree that it being his first year was a disadvantage. Next year defenses will have made adjustments to take away the short passes and sidelines.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes. And also there is a QB left in the playoffs who throws the ball away too much. Can't have it. Can't win with him. Can't play with him. Can't coach with him. Can't do it. ;)

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya .. That's a FA